• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2013] I am hoping to get on the Board at Barrier Island Station Duck

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a big concern of mine.

That sounds imminently reasonable to me - as a non-owner, but as a maybe wannabe someday.

If this passes, they'll need a plan to deal with non-payers/foreclosures efficiently, because there will be some ... so I'd be asking about that.

I own red weeks at the resort now and it is reasonable to me; however, I'm not sure that it would feel the same if I owned off-season weeks or if I was no longer using my weeks at the resort.

Even though the resort is in horrendous condition, the demand for weeks as rentals and resales continues. The resort is in a prime area of the Outer Banks and has great promise for being a great resort again. I'm hopeful. :hi:

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag

CS1313

Reaction score
Potential BIS Buyer

Fayeoctober,

Do you have any additional information about the 10/19/2013 BIS HOA meeting?

I am interested in buying at BIS, and just want to get the latest info available.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at that meeting.

Fayeoctober,

Do you have any additional information about the 10/19/2013 BIS HOA meeting?

I am interested in buying at BIS, and just want to get the latest info available.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Faye was very disillusioned when I spoke with her at the end of the meeting. She was unable to get on the board. I have forwarded you a copy of the December Newsletter by email. As of this date, the owners have had no further updates. The newsletter lists the board members. You may want to contact them or the General Manager at the resort and see if you can get an update.

Fayeoctober

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barrier Island Station

I have to admit I haven't been on this thread in months. I want to thank those who have provided or posted updates. The meeting did not go well - basically there was insufficient time set aside for the meeting - and charts were presented that could not be seen in the back of the room. It was promised by either SPM or the Board that the charts would be mailed but I have yet to see them. The last Newsletter was December 2013, there was a letter to the Owners posted on the SPM Web-site, that probably should have been mailed out to all the owners advising of the final amount of the assessment - $1,290 - and will be due on July 1 although payments can be made over a three year period.

The Board met in February prior to the posting of the letter and is also meeting today because they have unfinished business. Several days before the February meeting, my husband and I submitted a proposal on a number of issues including the solicitation of nominations for members of the Board in advance of the meeting, and a requirement that all those interested submit their qualifications so that when the proxies go out, all owners are aware of who is interested in running. Other proposals were included as well, but there wasn't time to discuss them in February. I hope they find time at the Board meeting being held today.

I would strongly encourage all members of TUG who are owners at BIS to contact Rick Spore at BIS and ask to join the Facebook group. If you find Facebook too intrusive (and I agree it can be) than at least visit the SPM resort web-site and learn what is going on.

Finally, if you are interested in learning more, you can send a message to me here, and I will try to keep you up to date.

Last edited:

caneil

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Faye...I was part of the Facebook group but left because you were the only one actually trying to get any results. A lot of grumbling but no real constructive ideas from the owners. As you recall, I was the one that sent a letter to the board and SPM Resorts and then posted my letter's content and their response to the Facebook site. I have not received any letters regarding the special assessment yet. Last I heard, it was not finalized yet. The only reason I found out about it was through an eBay post that said the special assessment had been paid. They want the first $460+ by July but have not even bothered to notify the owners :annoyed: On top of that, I went to the SPM Resort site and it is still as outdated as it was when I visited it last year. As I recall, the initial special assessment amount was less then $1200 now it is over? I, honestly, think we need to overall the entire board. If you run, again, let me know. You have my vote.

Fayeoctober

TUG Member
Reaction score
Caneil - thank you. On the SPM web-site is a February letter about the assessment. When I wrote to them that not everyone checks the web-site and that it might make sense to get something out soon, I didn't get a response. I am hoping that as a result of the Board meeting last weekend, we will hear something official soon.

By the way, it is almost impossible to change the make-up of the Board since the President (who has been there since the beginning) controls 150 weeks and that is more than there are attendees at the meeting. In addition two other individuals on the Board have been there for some time as well.

caneil

TUG Member
Reaction score
Caneil - thank you. On the SPM web-site is a February letter about the assessment. When I wrote to them that not everyone checks the web-site and that it might make sense to get something out soon, I didn't get a response. I am hoping that as a result of the Board meeting last weekend, we will hear something official soon.

By the way, it is almost impossible to change the make-up of the Board since the President (who has been there since the beginning) controls 150 weeks and that is more than there are attendees at the meeting. In addition two other individuals on the Board have been there for some time as well.

I saw that letter on the SPM site but as you stated not everyone looks at it once MFs are paid. After I pay the SA, I may end up getting rid of my unit unless things change for the better with regards to communication and follow-through.

marcy23451

Reaction score
Barrier Island Resort--Duck owner

Faye, I am pleased to see an independent owner interested in being on our Board of Directors. You have my vote and I am completing my proxy now with your name. Thank you for your willingness to take on this task and represent the owners in the best way possible to try to ensure our community is restored to the comfort and appeal it once held while also holding those who have been on the board accountable. Best of luck and I will be hoping to find that you are our newest board member following our owners' association meeting in a few weeks!

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread is from 2014

Faye, I am pleased to see an independent owner interested in being on our Board of Directors. You have my vote and I am completing my proxy now with your name. Thank you for your willingness to take on this task and represent the owners in the best way possible to try to ensure our community is restored to the comfort and appeal it once held while also holding those who have been on the board accountable. Best of luck and I will be hoping to find that you are our newest board member following our owners' association meeting in a few weeks!

Faye did not get on the Board, but her husband did secure a position on the Board in 2014.