• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

money for points

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It would be very helpful if you state the "kind" of points, and the name of the company.

Do they want to BUY your points, or RENT your points?

Many, if not most of these offers are scams. They charge you a high upfront fee, and then steal it, and no transaction ever occurs.

bushie33

Reaction score
No this was selling your banked RCI points to them for a company conventions. They have to make all of the reservation for them. So it sounded like they were using the points to get them.
Primer I think was the company name.

Last edited:

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
pretty sure if you follow up on this, you'll find that they'd like you to send them some money now and they promise (really, really promise) to send you a bigger pile of money later...if you'll just trust them.

(you really should not trust them.)

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
there's also the perennial favorite of "we'll rent your points and send you a big check...but whoops! it's too big of a check, could you send us a couple grand back..."

not a good idea either.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
No this was selling your banked RCI points to them for a company conventions. They have to make all of the reservation for them. So it sounded like they were using the points to get them.

Companies DO NOT RENT or USE timeshares for (company) conventions or training seminars. Where would the meeting room(s) be? Who would get the MBR? Why would any (COMPANY) group need or want a KITCHEN or DINING ROOM?

Believe what you want - but RCI Points can be transferred out of your account but their (check or bogus money order or bogus certified) check most likely will bounce or not be honored by your bank. And your points will be gone as will the transfer fee you paid RCI.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

It's a scam - RCI does not permit you to rent your points, and conventions are not at timeshares - RUN!

bushie33

Reaction score
Yes there was money up front, 199.00 per reservation, which is the exchange fee we pay RCI. Yes scam was the first thing that came to mind with me too but thought I would do the research on it first. If you Google it, then it is all about renting or buying another condo, god forbid that. The wife use to have to deal with setting up convention and trade show she leaning toward being true.... but I am not sure at all and till I am no way is she touching this. The last guy I talked to here(being home) wanted me to pay him 4 years of maintenance fees and he would relieve me of my condo, laughed so hard I could not tell him to get out. I just kept pointing at the door till he left. They don't have conventions at time share but people have to stay somewhere. They were talking cruise, where they rent the whole ship.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Please be aware that there are a few companies/people who will use your points RCI/starwood/marriott ect and use them to make reservations then rent those reservations. then pay you for your points. I've never done it but I do know they are around.

There is also a couple of websites for renting Marriott points. Also there are lots of people who buy and sell (rent) worldmark points.

So just because this company was bogus doesn't make all these companies bogus. The key thing is the legit companies just pay you for your points.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please be aware that there are a few companies/people who will use your points RCI/starwood/marriott ect and use them to make reservations then rent those reservations. then pay you for your points. I've never done it but I do know they are around.

I don't know about Marriott, but RCI does not permit you to rent points or exchanges. Nor can you transfer Starwood Starpoints, or Staroptions to another individual, excepted a documented family member.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Marriott allows Owner rentals of reservations booked using Weeks and DC Points, and allows transfers of DC Points among DC Members. The rules for Marriott Rewards Points are very similar to Starwood's rules - rentals of reservations booked with MRP's are not allowed and transfers of MRP's are allowed only between defined "family members."

II rules do not permit rentals of Marriott reservations booked through II exchanges or Getaways.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
The wife use to have to deal with setting up convention and trade show she leaning toward being true....

100% scam. Here are a few similar stories. The scam is the same, the "company" names are interchangeable.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179102

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200268

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170146

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179480

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183417

There are even more similar scam threads if you search TUG. If you or your wife are still wanting to think that this might be legit, don't take anyone here on TUG's word for it. Call RCI and ask them.

If you know the exact name they are using, please post so others can be warned.

Good luck!

torontobuyer

Reaction score
The last guy I talked to here(being home) wanted me to pay him 4 years of maintenance fees and he would relieve me of my condo, laughed so hard I could not tell him to get out.

You scoff, but sometimes, there have been situations where this was the best and only way out. I'm certain you could have negotiated less.

Scammers have success finding victims, exactly because of this. People who paid good money for their TS just can't get their head around paying good money to also get out.

Last edited: