• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any sage words of wisdom from those who know?

Crohnos01

TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, thank you again everyone for all the helpful information you have posted on this site. You folks saved me from forking over about $13k last year on a Wyndham site.....I am a believer in TUG!

So, with the economy, rising MF's, etc... I feel torn. On the one hand, I would like to have a TS in Hawaii which I could go haunt every year around the same time. Invite the kids and their spouses/significant others. If they can make it, fine; if not the wife and I have a lovely Hawaiian holiday all to ourselves. I could see me making a retail purchase to satisfy that kind of scenario.

On the other hand, I am a little worried about the MF's in Hawaii. They seem to be astronomically high compared to other resorts and once you buy, it seems you are stuck with them forever. From what I am seeing you literally can't give away a property once your purchase it. How high can the MF's go on a resort, or is there a cap? Or does that vary resort to resort/contract to contract?

I am seriously wondering if just renting/travel agent vacation packages aren't a better deal to accomplish the above scenario? Or am I being overly pessimistic about the market and actually owning a property?

As a tack on related question; If I were to buy, knowing that I want to typically go to Hawaii every year... would I be better off buying in Hawaii, or is it better to get another popular destination with lower MF's as trading stock for a Hawaii trip every year? Or is there such a thing as a popular trading stock for Hawaii?

Thanks again everyone!

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My two cents is it depends on what you mean by "Hawaii." We stayed a week at a place in Maui last year. Most of the people at the pool were owners who come every year, same week same unit. We really liked the place, so buying to own would make sense (the maintenance on a 2-BR is around $1,000).

If by "Hawaii" you mean going to different islands (or even different locations on one island) then you're taking on exchange fees and maintenance that will bring your costs to $200/night or more, with no easy exit strategy.

Last edited:

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to go to Hawaii every year

It makes good sense to own the resort that you want to use.

We love a certain resort on Kauai, and by owning there we can reserve the Ocean Front unit of our choice at 365 days in advance.

Does it cost more, maybe more than a hotel room inland, or even a non-ocean view suite in the same resort.

Is it worth it?

To us, yes.

Can you get to Hawaii with a less expensive trader, of course, but as an exchanger, you will get the least desirable suites with the lowest view category.

So, it all depends upon what you want in your vacation.

jmho,

Greg

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
if your considering wyndham points: points are points and can be used anywhere 10 months in advance, and at your home resort 13 months in advance. There is great availability at the 10 month mark, therefore, it would most likely behoove you to buy points with the lowest MF possible, around $5-$5.50 per 1000 points is a good deal.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would only buy in Hawaii if:

1) You have to visit during high season (school holidays)
2) You want to go to Hawaii every year
3) The view is important to you

If you are flexible about when you travel, or only want to go every other year or less, and don't care about the view - you can do far better trading or renting.

Crohnos01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. I am planning a trip to Kauai in May and we went to Maui last year. My plan would be to find a comfortable resort on Maui, Kauai, or Hawaii. Oahu is out as it is too crowded for my tastes. Oahu was appealing when I was 18, but 30+ years later, I don't think I would be nearly as excited by the crowds, bright lights, and loud music.

So once I find my "comfortable" resort, I would expect to go pretty much to the same place year to year. If I were to deviate from the above description, it would only be to maybe try to go to Maui instead of Kaui, or visa versa. My kids are all raised and I can pretty much travel whenever I want within reason.

So does that change and/or add to any of the advice given so far?

Thanks again everyone!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks everyone for the input. I am planning a trip to Kauai in May and we went to Maui last year. My plan would be to find a comfortable resort on Maui, Kauai, or Hawaii. Oahu is out as it is too crowded for my tastes. Oahu was appealing when I was 18, but 30+ years later, I don't think I would be nearly as excited by the crowds, bright lights, and loud music.

So once I find my "comfortable" resort, I would expect to go pretty much to the same place year to year. If I were to deviate from the above description, it would only be to maybe try to go to Maui instead of Kaui, or visa versa. My kids are all raised and I can pretty much travel whenever I want within reason.

So does that change and/or add to any of the advice given so far?

Thanks again everyone!

If you want a nicely run, reasonable, conveniently located, relaxing resort, check out Kauai Beach Villas in Lihue on Kauai. (RCI code 3681.) There are three sizes of units (1br1ba, 1br2ba, and 2br2ba) and three "view" types, (garden view, lagoon view, and ocean view.) The two larger size units are available in ocean view, which in my opinion is the underrated gem of this resort. The central location makes the resort perfect for exploring the island, and it's easy to get to when you arrive on island, even at night. If you want peace and quiet with an amazing ocean view, this place is for you. Check ebay for outstanding auction values at KBV - weeks frequently sell for just a dollar or two, with the seller paying the closing costs.

As for maintenance fees, my 2010 mf for an ocean view 1br2ba was less than $150 per night. Based on everything I've ever seen, for the outstanding ocean view at this resort, that is a pretty low price for virtually "on the sand" ocean front accommodations.

Good luck!

Dave