• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Towers on the Grove at North Myrtle Beach Thoughts?

Richardsdeals

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just bought 2 Wyndham resales and got our first one registered with Wyndham. I wanted to go ahead and make a reservation in the Myrtle Beach area for a family member's graduation week. There are 8 of us traveling that week.

Of course, just about everything is booked up. I did get 2 units at the Towers on the Grove at North Myrtle Beach. A 2 bedroom blvd and a studio blvd.

I also saw that I could get a 3 bedroom on a lower floor at Ocean Blvd. I would have to wait until my 2nd contract goes through because I don't have enough with the first contract to make that reservation.

Here is are my questions:

1) How does Towers on the Grove compare to Ocean Blvd?

2) What is the chance that other rooms will open up as the date gets closer and people cancel? We are going the 2nd week in June.

Appreciate any advice.

Vacationfuntips

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase!

My advice:

Don't wait for the other Wyndham contract to book your reservations if you really don't have to.

Myrtle Beach is a very popular destination which always fills up quickly.

Get the reservations that you want before they are all gone. It is rare to see points canceled for Myrtle Beach since it is one of the most popular vacation destinations.

Read the Wyndham Directory or go online to the Wyndham website:

Learn about the "point's credit pool" or how to "borrow points" by making an Express Reservation to bring points over to book those reservations that you need for June. You can make multiple reservations using 1 RT (reservation transaction) if you do all of them on the same day. Good point planning is crucial for each set of points that you have for your use year.

Cynthia T. :)

jaygould

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally would feel that a three-bedroom unit for 8 people is a better option than a studio and a 2BR unit. Towers on the Grove has a strange layout. Even the people at the desk felt that way. Ocean Boulevard is definitely the better resort. Since January is now within the three-month window where you can "rent" points for a reservation when you don't have enough points in your account, make a January reservation at any Wyndham resort for a reservation worth the difference in points that you need to switch from your current reservations at Towers on the Grove to the three bedroom unit at Ocean Boulevard. You can buy rental points when you make an online reservation for $8 per thousand points. Then cancel that January reservation plus the ones you made at Towers on the Grove and you will have enough cancelled points to make the Ocean Boulevard 3BR reservation.

Vacationfuntips

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both Myrtle Beach properties are good.

Ocean Blvd is very popular and more central to area things. It is within walking distance to restaurants and shops. It is a large resort. The points are high a Ocean Blvd for rooms.

Wyndham Towers On the Grove is in a neighborhood setting part of Cherry Grove. It is more quiet. It is a newly converted Wyndham property. Rooms are decorated nicely. Nice indoor pool too! There is a small strip mall for food choices - you would have to drive for everything else. Some people love that it is quieter. The beach is very nice!

Read TripAdvisor for guest comments.

Whatever you decide, there is plenty to do over at North Myrtle Beach!

You can always keep what you have booked and try something different the next year! This is the fun part - planning your next vacation!

Richardsdeals

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, just to make sure I understand:

I need an additional 30K points in 2015 for the reservation I want.

So, would I need to make a reservation in a 90 day window (January 2015) for something that borrows 30k points from my 2016 points, then cancel and use those 30k to make a 2015 reservation?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Jimfisk was referring to "renting" points at 8/K, if you need 30K, that would be $240 to 'rent' points. You can only rent points within the 90 day windows. There is also an annual cap to the amount you can rent. It might be what you own. I do not know the limit but it is not really a concern for what you are doing now. You will burn though a bunch of transactions to book, cancel and rebook if you don't plan well. So you will have to do all of the transactions the same day, to pay a single transaction fee, you will likely have to do it over the phone as well.

Borrowing points is also another approach. Possible, but not what jimfisk was referring to.

Vacationfuntips

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, just to make sure I understand:

I need an additional 30K points in 2015 for the reservation I want.

So, would I need to make a reservation in a 90 day window (January 2015) for something that borrows 30k points from my 2016 points, then cancel and use those 30k to make a 2015 reservation?

YES! Exactly right! Do it all on the same day with 1 RT.

Before you begin doing all of this - double check that the reservation that you want is still available? You need to have a points plan and work quickly. You don't want to lose the reservations that you currently have and not be able to get anything that you want. Unfortunately that does happen sometimes. :eek:

1) After you have borrowed the 2016 points for 2015. You cancel the reservations that you no longer want. Points are returned as canceled points (although not visible to you in your points chart until usually the next day) A Wyndham VC will be able to see those canceled points and possibly secure the reservation if you want assistance? Additionally, when you go to re-book and make a reservation you will see your available points.

If you might need a guest confirmation you can add that on when you re-book or you can do it closer to check-in before arrival. Of course, if you are traveling with the group and you have just 1 reservation for the 3 bedroom you will not need to get it!

Good luck!