• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many points would you suggest

andymul

Reaction score
I am absolutely new to this forum and I apologize if this question is already asked.

I am looking into purchasing a Wyndham points timeshare on the resale market, but have no idea how many point I would need for what I want to do.

How many points (on average) would you suggest I purchase if I want to spend a week each year in Vegas, Florida ( near Disney), San Diego, and finally cancun (or somewhere else nice in Mexico.

Do points roll over if you buy on the resale market?

In the past, we have stayed at a few all-inclusive places and we've really enjoyed that. Does Wyndham have anything like that available to owners? Is it worth it?

I'd like to buy something where I get the best value for my dollar and your advise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Andy

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/plus_membersdirectory1415/

You have access to the new directory at the above link. It will list all the resorts and the point values per resort, per season.

There are too many alternatives, I would not want to hazard a guess. So now you can figure it out on your own.

Points don't automatically roll over, there is something call pooling that you can do for a small fee, but it must be done before your year starts. Pooling is available to all points, regardless of source.

Wyndham has some Caribbean resorts that are branded wyndham, but are NOT available via the TS points.

Last edited:

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
I'd like to buy something where I get the best value for my dollar and your advise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Andy

I think that Wyndham is a good value for the $$$.

Personally, I think that timeshares are great, but that timesharing requires a huge initial investment of your time to really get a handle around how things work and how to extract the most value from your ownership. I think I spent a whole month last summer totally absorbed in learning and TUG was invaluable in this learning. I literally spent about 10 hours a day solid...

I think I started with the advice articles:

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/tug_timeshare_advice.shtml

And then read the Wyndham forums a lot.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am absolutely new to this forum and I apologize if this question is already asked.

I am looking into purchasing a Wyndham points timeshare on the resale market, but have no idea how many point I would need for what I want to do.

How many points (on average) would you suggest I purchase if I want to spend a week each year in Vegas, Florida ( near Disney), San Diego, and finally Cancun (or somewhere else nice in Mexico.******
Ball park around 154K per week for 2 BR in high season. RCI will get you into nice Mexico resorts.

Do points roll over if you buy on the resale market?*****
Same as Developer purchased points

In the past, we have stayed at a few all-inclusive places and we've really enjoyed that. Does Wyndham have anything like that available to owners? Is it worth it?******
Wyndham does not have AI. It is resort specific. Popular in Mexico and some Islands. Need a big appetite and 4-5 or so drinks. Probably best for 3 days and hit local spots other time.

I'd like to buy something where I get the best value for my dollar and your advise is greatly appreciated!*******
At 10 months Wyndham points are points so unless must have special event or major holiday so go for cheapest factoring in upfront cost over say 10 years.

Thanks!
Andy

10 characters

stevio99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like your a west coaster, so you might want to look into worldmark.

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many points (on average) would you suggest I purchase if I want to spend a week each year in Vegas, Florida ( near Disney), San Diego, and finally cancun (or somewhere else nice in Mexico.

Here's the Wyndham to RCI chart:
Demand Studio 1 Bedroom 2 Bedroom 3 Bedroom or More
Prime 90,000 126,000 205,000 300,000
High 77,000 105,000 165,000 232,000
Value 52,000 77,000 126,000 159,000
Quiet 35,000 63,000 77,000 112,000

Off-hand, I know that Orlando is 105K 1 bedroom/165K 2 bedroom year round. Southern California coastal in the summer is 126K/205K, less other times of the year.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
One suggestion is that you buy points in multiples of 77k. This is how gives out RTs (Reservation Transactions) and HKs (Housekeeping Credits). So 154k, 231k, 308k...

Smaller points packages will get you to the older (legacy) resorts like Cypress Palms in Orlando, resorts in Branson, MO and Williamsburg, VA etc. If you want to go to newer resorts like Oceanside, CA, most in Hawaii, Bonnet Creek in Orlando, you will need 300-400k+ per week.

Look at the point values on the online book and get an idea of where, when and how long you would like to stay and see how many points it will take.

Choosing some resorts and renting from other owners to test it out can be a good first step as well.

andymul

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help!! I'm looking around on eBay for one to buy. What is a good maintenance fee/1000points to look for? I found one around $5/1000, is that good?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
$5/1K is good. There are a few that might be lower, but there are a lot that are higher.

If you buy more than 1 contract for some reason, consider your average over all contracts. Also consider your purchase price. Don't overpay for a low contract when a slightly higher MF might be free or nearly free.