• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
'guarantee'? in the USVI? I don't think I have ever seen that word used in USVI. How would that sound in local dialect? :D

I do not think that strong of word is used - especially for a ferry that requires multiple logistics and dependent on sea conditions. But, it requires to be there 20 min ahead of time...

So, in plain mainland English, a ferry reservation is just a prepaid ferry ticket? Why should one spend time reserving?:ponder:

I am just being sarcastic, nothing against you...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
So, in plain mainland English, a ferry reservation is just a prepaid ferry ticket? Why should one spend time reserving?:ponder:

I am just being sarcastic, nothing against you...

Looks like I was wrong - I have found the word 'guaranteed' - on the Love City Car Ferries Website
http://www.lovecitycarferries.com/faq.html

Do we need to make a reservation?
No, there are 35 available spots on one ferry and 20 spots on the other. Individuals with tickets have guaranteed spots, those without are served on a first come first served basis.

35/20 spots? there are way more than that many spaces on the car barges - these must be those guaranteed spots :D
Also, with a line going down street and into lot (like reported) - I'd like to see someone with pre-paid ticket 10 mins ahead of time try and get on-board... it would be very challenging to get into position if you could even get into lot.

Only $50RT {instead of $70 and used the $20 saved to get 3-4 happy hours cocktails?}

Figured if I have a pre-paid invoice with dates/times listed - that may give me a better chance than someone (non-local) who doesn't - since I have doubt of any guarantee during times of barge problems (that lately seem common)?

statement at end of invoice:
Arrive at least 10 minutes before departure time. M/V Capt. Vic is a black and white car ferry the name is on the vessel. Please be sure to board the correct vessel. Refunds are not given if you board the wrong one. The service is covered by the Carriage of Goods by Sea Act (1992.)*

*...Consequently, an automobile which might have a volume of 400 cubic feet (15 m3), or 4 measurement tons, which would previously entitle the carrier to a limitation of $2000, was now freighted as "one automobile" thereby reducing the shipowner's liability from $2000 per automobile to $500

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like I was wrong - I have found the word 'guaranteed' - on the Love City Car Ferries Website
http://www.lovecitycarferries.com/faq.html

Do we need to make a reservation?
No, there are 35 available spots on one ferry and 20 spots on the other. Individuals with tickets have guaranteed spots, those without are served on a first come first served basis.

35/20 spots? there are way more than that many spaces on the car barges - these must be those guaranteed spots :D

Only $50RT {instead of $70 and used the $20 saved to get 3-4 happy hours cocktails?}

Figured if I have a pre-paid invoice with dates/times listed - that may give me a better chance than someone (non-local) who doesn't - since I have doubt of any guarantee during times of barge problems (that lately seem common)?

statement at end of invoice:
Arrive at least 10 minutes before departure time. M/V Capt. Vic is a black and white car ferry the name is on the vessel. Please be sure to board the correct vessel. Refunds are not given if you board the wrong one. The service is covered by the Carriage of Goods by Sea Act (1992.)

OK, it does buy some peace of mind (whatever that means in the USVI). Reserve and show up as required and you have a guaranteed spot (e.g., priority over cars without a resie)...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was goofing around with GoPro video - and uploads to FB and YouTube.

Video of Scrawled Filefish at Hawksnest (increase to maximum video quality - should be 1080p HD). Video quality of FB upload is worse.

https://youtu.be/vq_Me1qnkvE

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I was goofing around with GoPro video - and uploads to FB and YouTube.

Video of Scrawled Filefish at Hawksnest (increase to maximum video quality - should be 1080p HD). Video quality of FB upload is worse.

https://youtu.be/vq_Me1qnkvE

Nice video. What GoPro case are you using? Is it a mask/snorkel attachment or something handheld?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Nice video. What GoPro case are you using? Is it a mask/snorkel attachment or something handheld?

Interesting that the YouTube video shows up in Tapatalk directly.
It is Hero Black 3+ with standard UW case.
I have both a hand-held, and an extend-pole (that is about 3' long) - this was done with the extend-pole.

This video was just a test on which video extract and transfer type gives best result. Work in process.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
VGV tax bills are now available

In case you didn't receive the email, tax bills are available. No more early payment discount :(.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
In case you didn't receive the email, tax bills are available. No more early payment discount :(.

I was just about to post...

The Office of the Tax Assessor of the United States Virgin Islands has issued the 2016 property tax bills to all property owners of record as of January 1, 2016. Payment is due in full on August 1, 2016. Property owners are encouraged to pay the 2016 tax bill by September 30, 2016 in order to avoid late payment charges. Please be aware that the discount for early payment is not offered this year

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, I don't remember this, even though we were just at the Westin St. John only four months ago. One member of our group had bad knees so I didn't look into any of the fitness activities.

Does the Westin have any kind of daily fitness/exercise/yoga/water aerobics classes?

Was there a fee for some classes?

An if anyone has a schedule, that would be fantastic.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
OK, I don't remember this, even though we were just at the Westin St. John only four months ago. One member of our group had bad knees so I didn't look into any of the fitness activities.

Does the Westin have any kind of daily fitness/exercise/yoga/water aerobics classes?

Was there a fee for some classes?

An if anyone has a schedule, that would be fantastic.

As the activities and schedule likely change - I would suggest to call the Concierge (when they are not busy trying to get people to sign-up for Sales presentations)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Paying taxes is always a pain.

I can't believe the process is not easier. Why isn't there a link to pay taxes once you have the window with the tax bill displayed? I had to find an old bill that showed the control number (which must be some sort of account/tax payer ID) and used the tax bill number (which must be the same as the invoice number). Thankfully, both weeks (back to back weeks in same pool villa) got pulled and I was able to enter the payment info in a single transaction.

First world problems...:crash:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Or you can wait until the bills are sent my mail. Since there is no discount for paying early - I will wait for the property tax bill in the mail.

An easy process? this is the USVI after all...
Heck - it took them almost a decade to catch-up on the property taxes.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Or you can wait until the bills are sent my mail. Since there is no discount for paying early - I will wait for the property tax bill in the mail.

An easy process? this is the USVI after all...
Heck - it took them almost a decade to catch-up on the property taxes.

Has anyone received the paper bill in the mail yet? Just curious because the email said the bill is due in full on August 1st.:shrug:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Has anyone received the paper bill in the mail yet? Just curious because the email said the bill is due in full on August 1st.:shrug:

Not due until Sept 30.
In the past, the bills have shown up a few weeks after email notice by the HOA.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got back late last night from a wonderful 15 days in St John!

Still only one ferry running (from I last heard).

We did tour the Sunset Villas as part of our update.......tiny.

Any questions?

Bill4728

Reaction score
When we were there in June they had 2 car ferries running but the third car ferry ( which was moored in St Johns) was not running

We also showed up about 45 minutes early, they asked if we wanted to go over on the other companies ferry which was just about to leave. So even though we pre-paid, the other company took us over and took our prepayment to the other ferry as payment.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
When we were there in June they had 2 car ferries running but the third car ferry was not running

They are back to 2 car barges (both Love City ferries) - for a few days only cars were being transported back/forth (with only one ferry running) and no trucks being transported due to ramp issues. That means no food, no supplies, no gas, no garbage removal, etc...

They (USVI) really needs to get these car barge transportation issues resolved.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Got back late last night from a wonderful 15 days in St John!

Still only one ferry running (from I last heard).

We did tour the Sunset Villas as part of our update.......tiny.

Any questions?

seems like the newer the WSJ resort phase - the smaller the villas are becoming.

Sunset Bay... what sunset? the sun sets over the hill to the west of WSJ

How was you time off-resort?
Anything interesting?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are back to 2 car barges (both Love City ferries) - for a few days only cars were being transported back/forth (with only one ferry running) and no trucks being transported due to ramp issues. That means no food, no supplies, no gas, no garbage removal, etc...

They (USVI) really needs to get these car barge transportation issues resolved.

Correct...Only 1 car barge is running, the other 3 are down. The last barge has been running 24 hours, after doing the last car run.....switching and taking garbage and small trucks back-n-forth.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
How was you time off-resort?
Anything interesting?

Super great.....We could not visit the beaches with too steep of incline, like Salt Pond.

We did see four nurse sharks on various visits to Maho and Francis.....2 small (18"), 1 around 36" and around 4'-5'. We have been visiting St John since 2003 and this was the first time seeing any type of shark.

Spent a lot of time dedicated to snorkeling, which led to seeing a bunch of new stuff for us.

We did the Westin 1/2 day snorkel, over to St Thomas. That might have been the best Reef to visit during the trip.

As usual, am always amazed of the people we meet who have no clue or understanding of their timeshare ownership.

We did utilize the Free Cycle.....when we arrived, it was semi-organized. When we dropped off our gear for others to use, the place was a mess. Still a great idea and glad the resort has this in place.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Super great.....We could not visit the beaches with too steep of incline, like Salt Pond.

We did see four nurse sharks on various visits to Maho and Francis.....2 small (18"), 1 around 36" and around 4'-5'. We have been visiting St John since 2003 and this was the first time seeing any type of shark.

Spent a lot of time dedicated to snorkeling, which led to seeing a bunch of new stuff for us.

We did the Westin 1/2 day snorkel, over to St Thomas. That might have been the best Reef to visit during the trip.

As usual, am always amazed of the people we meet who have no clue or understanding of their timeshare ownership.

We did utilize the Free Cycle.....when we arrived, it was semi-organized. When we dropped off our gear for others to use, the place was a mess. Still a great idea and glad the resort has this in place.

What reef on StT was the 1/2 day snorkel?
We did the Buck Island (StT) snorkel on Island Time as our Owner Update incentive - good fun, and well worth it.

Good that most snorkels have flat entrances.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Car Rental Companies on St John

Due to uncertainty of car barges, ditching the plans for a car on STT.

Can anyone recommend a jeep rental company on St John? Some of them look pretty shady.

Thanks

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
O'Connor rents on-site at WSJ

If you want to be able to park while in Cruz Bay (can be a hassle) - then you will want to rent from one of the CB agencies. I can't help here, you will need to check (search) for which ones allow to park on site. I think St John Car rentals does. Also, need to bring proof of insurance from what I hear from others. Otherwise, will need to pay for daily insurance.

btw - the issue for car barges are bring trucks across. also, you can pre-reserve a car barge space.

Status
Not open for further replies.