• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[update] Sheraton Flex upcoming changes

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you put hyatt deeds in flex, it doesn't matter whether Hyatt owners want Sheraton or not. Flex owners would be booking their owned weeks, not trading Sheraton weeks for Hyatt weeks.

Exactly. I agree. Hyatt owners wouldn't have a choice. Though it doesn't mean they wouldn't be mad that the "low class" Sheraton owners (we own SVV) are staying at their resort. Just like the Marriott DC program owners having access to the Ritz Carlton properties through the Marriott program.

Last edited:

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
No reason at all they can't convey some of the Hyatt properties to the Sheraton Flex Trust. Then flex owners can book in to Hyatt at 12 months.

I just really don't see this happening. Aren't all the properties that are in the Sheraton flex a major step below most of the Hyatt properties? Are Hyatt owners going to want to be able to book in to Sheraton properties? Maybe, but it would be a small percentage if you ask me. There would be lots of Sheraton people clamoring to book in to Hyatt though.

No doubt HRC Corporate deeded weeks could be put into a trust for a pure points system - but HRC Corporate doesn't own a boat load of weeks as the majority of the Hyatt properties are mature/sold out. When you go thru the list of HRC properties, Hyatt only has active sales at a few properties as they have little inventory to sell. The only two properties that are not fully built are Coconut Plantation and Wild Oak - ILG/HRC could re-energize the build out at Coconut and Wild Oak, but there hasn't been any construction activity at either one for at least 8+/- years.

Note that the typical HRC TS property development model has been that Hyatt provides the brand & management while an outside development partner funds/constructs the buildings and own the weeks. The developer's profit comes from selling weeks, so the developer wants weeks sold in lieu of putting them into a points trust. HRC could buy the developer weeks, but seems like odd math for HRC to buy $45K to $100K weeks at Maui to put into a points trust.

While Hyatt has been randomly exercising ROFR for the past year, they have not amassed a stock pile of deeded weeks. And some of the KW weeks they've ROFR'd, they've turned around and sold on the open market for a $10K per week profit.

FWIW: Hyatt properties have always taken the "boutique" approach (Sunset Harbor has only 40 units) in lieu of the mega program like Marriott used - so Hyatt does not have 500,000 owners/members. Totally agree that few HRC owners will participate in a Sheraton/Hyatt points program for access to Sheraton properties.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a Hyatt owner, one reason we bought Hyatt was the ability to exchange into other Hyatts (similar to why we bought a platinum plus WKV). If this changes or becomes more difficult to do, we will likely sell our Hyatt unit. As some have surmised, we have little to no interest in exchanging into Sheratons in the FLEX program. How many owners at WKORV (oceanfront) would be happy if Vistana decided to let all voluntary owners have access to their units using SOs? This may be Vistana's next move...Similar to Marriott, Hyatt owners should be allowed to buy into FLEX at a nominal cost.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
As a Hyatt owner, one reason we bought Hyatt was the ability to exchange into other Hyatts (similar to why we bought a platinum plus WKV). If this changes or becomes more difficult to do, we will likely sell our Hyatt unit. As some have surmised, we have little to no interest in exchanging into Sheratons in the FLEX program. How many owners at WKORV (oceanfront) would be happy if Vistana decided to let all voluntary owners have access to their units using SOs? This may be Vistana's next move...Similar to Marriott, Hyatt owners should be allowed to buy into FLEX at a nominal cost.

Re: exchange for WKORV OF... this is at <8 months out (VSN exchange), not 8-12 months (HomeResort) You can already get WKORV/N OF at 8 months out as VSN exchange. So, this is not the issue as long as timestamps rules still apply.
It will become an issue when my location is impacted - and no evidence to the contrary in 10 years of using our OF.

Last edited:

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
There is a thread in the "Other Timeshare Systems" forum regarding a Hyatt owners update, with similar information shared about Hyatt moving toward a trust points system and talk of cross access to VSE.

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Appears the rules are being re-written to the detriment of owners who purchased into the Hyatt and Starwood (SO) systems. If you visit the resort you purchased every year, I don't think the new rules will hurt you. Conversely, if you have been using the internal exchange systems, you could well be adversely impacted. Would not be surprised to see resale values drop at Hyatts and mandatory VSE resorts..

Re: exchange for WKORV OF... this is at <8 months out (VSN exchange), not 8-12 months (HomeResort) You can already get WKORV/N OF at 8 months out as VSN exchange. So, this is not the issue as long as timestamps rules still apply.
It will become an issue when my location is impacted - and no evidence to the contrary in 10 years of using our OF.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Appears the rules are being re-written to the detriment of owners who purchased into the Hyatt and Starwood (SO) systems. If you visit the resort you purchased every year, I don't think the new rules will hurt you. Conversely, if you have been using the internal exchange systems, you could well be adversely impacted. Would not be surprised to see resale values drop at Hyatts and mandatory VSE resorts..

Let's remember: This thread is based on speculation from an Owners (Sales) Update.

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
Let's remember: This thread is based on speculation from an Owners (Sales) Update.

But what is interesting is the ILG has said they want to switch Hyatt to "pure points." Then you have the OP's report of an owners update that indicates it may include Hyatt with points. Then we have a Hyatt owner's update saying very similar things (http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243975). So while it's speculation, the evidence suggested that *something* is happening to somehow combine Hyatt and Sheraton - points? Access? Something?

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Of course something will happen. I'm sure Interval had a plan when they bought Hyatt, and another when they bought SVN. None of us should be surprised by changes, and I'd suggest saving any outrage over such changes until we know exactly what they will be. So far, I agree with David...just speculation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind Hyatt has a "points" system. Our week(s) are worth so many points and allows us to exchange into other resorts...

But what is interesting is the ILG has said they want to switch Hyatt to "pure points." Then you have the OP's report of an owners update that indicates it may include Hyatt with points. Then we have a Hyatt owner's update saying very similar things (http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243975). So while it's speculation, the evidence suggested that *something* is happening to somehow combine Hyatt and Sheraton - points? Access? Something?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I agree something will happen - just that speculation here sometimes tends to be considered factual.
One fact. They can essential force what they want as long as deemed proftable by the organizations and HOAs - which they control. And Legal - which is often a gray area. All based on Risk/Reward - from their perspectives, with benefit to them (over us).

Reaction score
I called vistana. They told me that there are absolutely no plans to put hyatt into the flex program. I think your emotions are clouding your thought process here. You want it to happen so badly that you will believe these rumors when the home office denies it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I called vistana. They told me that there are absolutely no plans to put hyatt into the flex program. I think your emotions are clouding your thought process here. You want it to happen so badly that you will believe these rumors when the home office denies it.

Who exactly did you talk to?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Actually, think it is opposite - they desire NOT to have it happen. The OP stated that it was in a Sales presentation they saw - that would be a level up from rumor...

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1903339&postcount=44

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why would they not want it to happen and have more vacation options? Why would the home office deny it if it was happening? If this was happening the home office woukd use it as a marketing tool.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Why would they not want it to happen and have more vacation options? Why would the home office deny it if it was happening? If this was happening the home office woukd use it as a marketing tool.

Who is 'they'? based on thread - many would not be happy with combining Hyatt and Flex (personally I do not care as I would never exchange my VSE VOIs to Hyatt). Of course - it would be used as Marketing tool - but you are not reading whole thread. Who knows why one group (Sales) would say it is happening while Corp office says 'No'.

DeniseM asks who did you talk to - and no response...
The OP stated it was in Sales presentation - read thread.

Bottom-line - it is all speculation until it becomes fact.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

I'd still like to know who you are quoting.

If the "home office," is the entry level person who answered the phone when you called owner services, that is definitely not an authoritative source of information, and they are often the last to know.

Entry level people would not know about a change, until after the change had been implemented, and they received training on the new procedure.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been able to independently verify that you cannot make Hyatt reservations with Sheraton Flex Options.

So, it sure makes you wonder about that sales presentation! :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Reaction score
It would be nice if they did it, but they will only do it if it in someway benefits them.