• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John's Timeshare Resale re Staroptions

iqmavin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm purchasing a timeshare at the Westin St John. My question is can I have the staroptions banked before I finalize the purchase and ensure I get them? It's my understanding that this resort is a Mandatory resort so the star options benefits stay with the unit.

Last edited:

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm purchasing a timeshare at the Westin St John's. My question is can I have the staroptions banked before I finalize the purchase and ensure I get them? It's my understanding that this resort is a Mandatory resort so the star options benefits stay with the unit.

You might want to ask the question in the Vistana (previously know as Starwood) forum. I am sure somebody will have the correct answer there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You cannot do anything, until the deed is officially in your name AND has been recognized by the VSE title office, and you are most likely miss the deadline to roll the Staroptions over, which is the end of June.

I recommend that you call the VSE Title Office and discuss it with them:

Title Dept.
You can email or FAX your new (recorded) deed to VSE/Starwood yourself-
Phone 1-800-729-8246 ext. 62291
Fax 1-407-418-7211
Email to send deeds to -
00SVO-TitleChanges@starwoodvo.com
or
00SVO.TitleChanges@starwoodhotels.com

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I'm purchasing a timeshare at the Westin St John's. My question is can I have the staroptions banked before I finalize the purchase and ensure I get them? It's my understanding that this resort is a Mandatory resort so the star options benefits stay with the unit.

Wouldn't the options, if banked prior to transfer, stay with the previous owner's account? I don't think you could bank the options for yourself until the deed is in your name and the options would then go into your SVN account. Is the problem the deed will not be in your name before July 1?

Someone please correct me if I am off-base here.

Oops, Denise types faster than I do!

iqmavin

TUG Member
Reaction score
You cannot do anything, until the deed is officially in your name AND has been recognized by the VSE title office, and you are most likely miss the deadline to roll the Staroptions over, which is the end of June.

I recommend that you call the VSE Title Office and discuss it with them:

Title Dept.
You can email or FAX your new (recorded) deed to VSE/Starwood yourself-
Phone 1-800-729-8246 ext. 62291
Fax 1-407-418-7211
Email to send deeds to -
00SVO-TitleChanges@starwoodvo.com
or
00SVO.TitleChanges@starwoodhotels.com
Thanks for the QUICK reply and good info! I'll give them a call.

iqmavin

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to ask the question in the Vistana (previously know as Starwood) forum. I am sure somebody will have the correct answer there.
Thanks Pedro. I'm new to this. Denise picked it up in this Vistana Forum about the same time you replied. All the best

lawboy2001

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a timeshare at the Westin St John. My question is can I have the staroptions banked before I finalize the purchase and ensure I get them? It's my understanding that this resort is a Mandatory resort so the star options benefits stay with the unit.

This is an arrangement you would make with the seller as part of your agreement. There should be no problem having the existing owner bank the options before completing the sale...the broker should be the go between and confirm with you that the options have been banked.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is an arrangement you would make with the seller as part of your agreement. There should be no problem having the existing owner bank the options before completing the sale...the broker should be the go between and confirm with you that the options have been banked.

It doesn't work this way with VSE:

When you transfer a deed between seller and buyer, only the deed transfers - not the original owner's account.

If the current owner banks the Staroptions before transfer, they will go in his Acct. - not the buyers.

If the current owner has other VSE timeshares in his Acct. - the banked Staroptions will stay in his Acct.

If this is the current owner's only VSE mandatory deed, his Account will be closed, and the Staroptions will expire, when the deed transfers.

iqmavin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin St John transfer

Our attorney facilitating the transfer has completed the contract. I've been remiss in calling VSE and when I tried they were closed today. Plan on doing it first thing Monday morning.

I need a reality check if possible. How quickly can VSE recognize the title? Is there anything I can/should be doing to get this done before I'm locked out of banking the star options?

I've asked the attorney to include the expedited closing date in the contract. The tax clearance letter has been ordered and the title commitment will be ordered as soon as attorney has a copy of my trust.

Any other suggestions to get me through this?

I appreciate everyone's willingness to lend a hand. Look forward to return the favor and pay it forward.

All the best

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Our attorney facilitating the transfer has completed the contract. I've been remiss in calling VSE and when I tried they were closed today. Plan on doing it first thing Monday morning.

I need a reality check if possible. How quickly can VSE recognize the title? Is there anything I can/should be doing to get this done before I'm locked out of banking the star options?

I've asked the attorney to include the expedited closing date in the contract. The tax clearance letter has been ordered and the title commitment will be ordered as soon as attorney has a copy of my trust.

Any other suggestions to get me through this?

I appreciate everyone's willingness to lend a hand. Look forward to return the favor and pay it forward.

All the best

Cross your fingers. I am pretty sure it took two weeks for the tax clearance letter and then another two weeks for the deed to be recorded and another two weeks for VSE to process the title when we did this last year. You should definitely call VSE as soon as you email the deed and if before the end of June beg them to process ASAP. Good luck, I'll cross my fingers for you too.:D

iqmavin

TUG Member
Reaction score
New Vistana Deed Transfer email address

I just completed my purchase at St John. As part of my follow up I found out there is a NEW email address for title transfers: titlechanges@vistana.com.

This has caused many transfers to be delayed because they were sent to the wrong address.

They are advertising 10-14 business day turnaround, but have been averaging less than that. I'm hopeful mine will be done before that.

All the best

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Congrats!!:cheer: Looks like you might make the deadline after all!

iqmavin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Success on the transfer and banking of star options

Thanks to everyone for all of your help. Made the cutoff date and now I am star options rich. Everyone at Vistana was very helpful.

Last edited:

Mw36

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc
Just out of curiosity how much are the Maintenance Fees for resort? I was looking at a similar offer.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just out of curiosity how much are the Maintenance Fees for resort? I was looking at a similar offer.

At the top of the forum, there is a link to our MF data base.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

If this is for WSJ-VGV:
Don't forget that PropTax are billed separately.
And SVN fee if you don't not already have SVN fees.