• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Taxes on timeshares?

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anyone here own multiple timeshare weeks in Calif or Florida...states where real estate tax is billed separately? Does anyone besides me own at same resort, identical floating week/size and yet the tax bills do not match? What would be the reason for different tax rates on the same size share of a resort property? TIA for any advice!

Craigvince

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own in California, the taxes might be different depending on when they were purchased. Real estate taxes are locked in thanks to Prop 13. I have no idea if this plays into your situation, but it's a possibility.

rschallig

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that California's Proposition 13 also further motivates Marriott to exercise the ROFR on California resales. Great money maker - buy back the bargain week, convert the week to points for a terrific profit, while permanently reducing the property tax. Such a deal!
Bob

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone here own multiple timeshare weeks in Calif or Florida...states where real estate tax is billed separately? Does anyone besides me own at same resort, identical floating week/size and yet the tax bills do not match? What would be the reason for different tax rates on the same size share of a resort property? TIA for any advice!

We have had about eight different Florida timeshare facility ownerships over the years (and still have several now). None actually bill property taxes separately from maintenance fee bills; property taxes were always (and still are now) a specific line item within the annual maintenance fee bill. I recall only one FL exception where our property taxes were ever actually billed separately; a former deeded fixed week ownership at a FL Wyndham facility (a week we since dumped --- and good riddance).
Maybe all of the "chains" bill property taxes separately in Florida; I don't claim to know, since none of our remaining FL ownerships are within any of the "chains".

That aside, I can tell you that at a timeshare facility in Maine at which we own some time, property taxes are billed separately (by the County). There are three different timeshare buildings on site there, all essentially identical, but each one was built at different times. Property taxes for identical units vary a bit from building to building, apparently depending on "phase" (i.e., date) of construction. Whether or not that scenario may possibly apply to the situation of your inquiry, I have no idea. :shrug:

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
In the Marriott system there are differences in the ways Property Taxes are determined and billed at the resorts in the states of Florida and California. As far as I know, in all other states the Property Taxes are the same for every same-size-unit within each single resort, and they're billed by the resorts as a component of the annual Maintenance Fees.

At the Florida resorts the Property Taxes are billed by the resort as a component, but will vary according to not just the unit size but also the seasonal designation. For example, Property Taxes for a 2BR Platinum season Week will be higher than for a 2BR Gold season Week.

At the California resorts the Property Taxes are billed by the counties and there's no rhyme or reason if you're trying to equate one owner's amount to another's, because they're based on the purchase prices and dates. I believe it's possible to file appeals with the state/counties for periodic assessments but don't know all the details.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Excellent info!

Thanks to all of you for replying so quickly. You've all helped a lot!:wave:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
In the Marriott system there are differences in the ways Property Taxes are determined and billed at the resorts in the states of Florida and California. As far as I know, in all other states the Property Taxes are the same for every same-size-unit within each single resort, and they're billed by the resorts as a component of the annual Maintenance Fees.

At the Florida resorts the Property Taxes are billed by the resort as a component, but will vary according to not just the unit size but also the seasonal designation. For example, Property Taxes for a 2BR Platinum season Week will be higher than for a 2BR Gold season Week.

At the California resorts the Property Taxes are billed by the counties and there's no rhyme or reason if you're trying to equate one owner's amount to another's, because they're based on the purchase prices and dates. I believe it's possible to file appeals with the state/counties for periodic assessments but don't know all the details.

I know Hilton's Florida units tax vary by season with the reason being that a platinum week is worth more and therefore should be taxed more than gold and the same for silver. etc.

I didn't know other resorts do this in Florida. Does Marriott and Starwood? I know Summer Bay taxes the same based on size only. They have fixed weeks, 1-52 float weeks, and some more seasonal float periods depending on when the unit was bought and which of the several HOA's.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know Hilton's Florida units tax vary by season with the reason being that a platinum week is worth more and therefore should be taxed more than gold and the same for silver. etc.

I didn't know other resorts do this in Florida. Does Marriott and Starwood? I know Summer Bay taxes the same based on size only. They have fixed weeks, 1-52 float weeks, and some more seasonal float periods depending on when the unit was bought and which of the several HOA's.

I don't think the resorts have any choice in the matter. In Florida the specific ownership weeks are assessed and taxed individually. They are just not billed directly to the owners and instead have a tax line item as part of the annual fees. If Summer Bay is billing the same to each owner regardless of the individual week then that means each week was assessed the same amount by the county. This is not surprising when they have so many different types. It's easier for the county when it is just seasonal blocks. In the end the tax amount is just a path through to the owner.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Summer Bay does have seasons. They have some that float
weeks 1-6, weeks 18-23, or weeks 35-50 which are called gold, vs the platinum which is 24-34 plus in some cases 51 and or 52. And another group that floats 7-17. They probably have about 12 float configurations that are based on more desirable or less desirable times plus fixed weeks.

My real question comes with Marriott. Especially in a case like Lakeshore Reserve where the Platinum and platinum premier "season" is different than the Platinum and gold season at the other Orlando Marriott's. Imperial Palms has three seasons for Orlando, Sable Palms has four. I don't own a Marriott in Orlando but I don't remember any discussions about the tax portion of the MF's being different based on the seasons. I may have missed it though.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Summer Bay does have seasons. They have some that float
weeks 1-6, weeks 18-23, or weeks 35-50 which are called gold, vs the platinum which is 24-34 plus in some cases 51 and or 52. And another group that floats 7-17. They probably have about 12 float configurations that are based on more desirable or less desirable times plus fixed weeks.

My real question comes with Marriott. Especially in a case like Lakeshore Reserve where the Platinum and platinum premier "season" is different than the Platinum and gold season at the other Orlando Marriott's. Imperial Palms has three seasons for Orlando, Sable Palms has four. I don't own a Marriott in Orlando but I don't remember any discussions about the tax portion of the MF's being different based on the seasons. I may have missed it though.

I am not aware of any Florida Marriott where the tax is the same for all the seasons, but perhaps Lakeshore is the same. It all boils down to the value that is assessed for each individual week, which is averaged for each floating block of weeks. These values are assessed by the county property appraiser. Most or all of the Orlando Marriott's are in Orange County. Summer Bay is in Lake County. I am not sure if the various counties do it differently but I believe it is the same process.

I own fixed weeks at an all fixed unit and week HOA in St Augustine and all the weeks have the exact same tax amount. The property itself has two other HOA's that are floating. I think the difference is probably the original amount the weeks were sold for. Marriott never has the same original sales price for different seasons at the same resort. The difference in original selling prices results in a different value assessment for the seasons.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess I never noticed because out of the 12 Marriott resorts in Florida, members here only reported 2014 MF for 7 of those resorts. Of the 7 reported only one included an entry from more than one season (Harbor Lake) despite having 2-4 seasons for each resort.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199639

Looking back on the Starwood database no one reported the taxes for the same resort/HOA but different seasons for any of the Florida resort/phases.

Hilton's MF thread always mentions the tax for all the seasons at all the resorts in Florida.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I guess I never noticed because out of the 12 Marriott resorts in Florida, members here only reported 2014 MF for 7 of those resorts. Of the 7 reported only one included an entry from more than one season (Harbor Lake) despite having 2-4 seasons for each resort.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199639

Looking back on the Starwood database no one reported the taxes for the same resort/HOA but different seasons for any of the Florida resort/phases.

Hilton's MF thread always mentions the tax for all the seasons at all the resorts in Florida.

Yep, with the Marriott MF's thread consisting only of reports from TUGgers of their own invoiced amounts, it's always a wake-up call as to how many people own Marriott timeshares and DON'T participate on TUG! ;)

(At that 2014 MF's thread link you posted, note the statements in the first post under "MVC Weeks" about the FL and CA property tax issues.)

The annual Operating Budgets are usually posted to my-vacationclub.com within a few weeks of them being released with the MF's invoices. At that point anyone with an account can review any of the budgets/MF's reports. Sign in, click on "Browse For Resorts" and click through the options to each resort's page, then scroll down and click on the "Owners" tab to access links to the reports and other info.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Sue. I knew you could look kind of info at your own resort but I didn't know that you could find it out for all of the resorts. It is a few more clicks through the my-vacation page then I would have found by looking around.