• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Samoset Resort In Maine

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts...

BTW, any particular Building we should request for our room? We have a 2 bdrm in case that makes a difference.

I'm assuming that you are "exchanging" into Samoset; if that assumption is correct, you'll actually have no say at all in either building or unit assignment. In fact, I believe that said assignment is actually already indicated right on your RCI confirmation letter in the form of a bldg / unit "code" (which reads something like IA-14). It matters little in any case ---the 3 separate timeshare buildings are essentially identical and all are quite close to one another . Some 2BR units in each bldg. are a dual level "townhouse" layout (these units will reflect the letter "C" in the aforementioned "code"). Other 2BR units in each building are on a single level; these are coded with the letter "D". All units in all buildings have an ocean view to some degree --- but right now no one has an ocean view through the pea soup fog which has descended upon the coast today...

If your check-in day is Friday, you are in Building I or II; only Building III is "Saturday to Saturday".

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
In response to vckempson request for some "Greatest Hits"...

Eating Lobster is tops on my list. Lot's of Lobster.

My wife & I enjoy sightseeing and history. Museums, art, theater, parks, getting out and walking around to enjoy the local flavor. We thoroughly enjoy getting out for day trips to explore.

When you first enter the relatively small "downtown" section of the city of Rockland (when you take a sharp left at the Camden National Bank onto (one way) Main Street), park where possible soon thereafter. You'll easily find the Farnsworth Art Museum on your left. Nearby, sort of diagonally across the street, is the Brass Compass Cafe, whose Lobster Club reportedly beat that of Chef Bobby Flay in some food show "throwdown". I admit to not being a huge lobster fan myself. Maybe working my butt off one summer during college years as a "stern man" for a grumpy old lobsterman permanently dampened my enthusiasm for lobster. :shrug:

At Samoset itself, walk the granite Rockland Harbor breakwater sometime when the weather is good.
It's easily accessible right from the Samoset property.

The outdoor "zero entry" pool at Samoset will be opening next week (Memorial Day weekend), I'm told.

A few miles north of Samoset, turn right from Route 1 onto Pascal Ave. to get to Rockport Harbor (... then look for a small sign for Rockport Marine Park and take the very sharp right turn down to the water). This is Rockport's small but pretty harbor. Remnants of old limestone kilns from yesteryear remain there. There is also a statue and accompanying story memorializing the formerly famous but now departed "Andre the Seal". Picnic tables if you want to have lunch there (albeit no place within walking distance to obtain said lunch). Up the hill on Central St. is my favorite restaurant in the entire area, Shepherd's Pie (open for dinner only).

If you like local boiled lobster, I'd suggest The Lobster Pound at Lincolnville Beach. The Whale's Tooth Pub is near there as well and also has good food. A local seafood business family (Graffam Bros.) has just opened a new restaurant right on the Camden Harbor waterfront. I don't know anything more about it, but I do know that Graffam Bros. have been players in the local seafood industry for many years. They also have a take out "seafood shack" and a fish market right across the street from one another on Union St. in Rockport.

Camden Hills State Park, accessed directly from the southbound side of Route 1, has many walking and hiking trails (...some easy, some not), as well as an auto road which goes all the way to the top of Mount Battie, where you get a great overview of Camden Harbor below.

There is an authentic and unpretentious Thai restaurant on Main Street in Camden, shortly before the "downtown" section, called Long Grain. No sign and reservations are definitely recommended.

We never actually ate at La Bella Vita, the Italian restaurant right on site at Samoset Resort. My significant other found too many disparaging reviews on line for her liking so, in view of the cost, we decided to pass. Everyone agrees that the atmosphere there is wonderful, but there is clearly much less agreement regarding the food itself. Then again, opinions on food and restaurants are always subjective. In any case, we passed.

I'm a big fan of Reny's, a family owned "chain" of small department stores within Maine. There are 10 or 12 in total I believe, including one in Camden, south of "downtown", on the southbound side of Route 1 in a small "strip mall". A lot of clothing, but lots of other "stuff" too and at the best prices to be found anywhere.
Bob Reny takes good care of his employees and is actively supportive of Maine communities. IMnsHO, Reny's is worthy of support for that reason alone in an age of impersonal "big box" retailers which have absolutely no connection to the communitities where they locate. Anyway, if you find that you need or have forgotten any clothing items or other "stuff", go to Reny's first. Good deals, good quality, good people --- 'nuff said.

Hope some of this is of use or interest. If not, I'll cheerfully refund the entire amount you've paid me... :D

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Questions About Exchanging into Samoset

I'm looking at doing an exchange into Samoset in the next year or so and have some questions.

It looks like summer exchanges are probably not in the cards. I'm looking at 2BR units and RCI shows check-ins starting in early November 2013 with the latest being mid-April 2014. Nothing from mid-April to mid-November. I tend to lean toward a mid-April week but realize Maine weather is pretty much a crapshoot. Is there any reason to pick a fall week rather than a spring week?

I am puzzled by what seems to be inconsistent TPU assignments. For example, a 2BR unit starting 18 Apr 14 can be had for 17 TPUs while a 2BR unit starting 28 Mar 14 goes for 24 TPUs. Is there an explanation for this?

I don't do a lot of RCI exchanges and have lots to learn about TPUs.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some alleged thoughts...

I'm looking at doing an exchange into Samoset in the next year or so and have some questions.

It looks like summer exchanges are probably not in the cards. I'm looking at 2BR units and RCI shows check-ins starting in early November 2013 with the latest being mid-April 2014. Nothing from mid-April to mid-November. I tend to lean toward a mid-April week but realize Maine weather is pretty much a crapshoot. Is there any reason to pick a fall week rather than a spring week?

I am puzzled by what seems to be inconsistent TPU assignments. For example, a 2BR unit starting 18 Apr 14 can be had for 17 TPUs while a 2BR unit starting 28 Mar 14 goes for 24 TPUs. Is there an explanation for this?

I can offer nothing at all as pertains to RCI, exchanging, or TPU's; I choose not to participate in any of that. Accordingly, I'll leave RCI / exchange related details and input to knowledgeable others.

That said, I would note that mid-November in mid-coast Maine, which you have kindly described as "fall", might instead be regarded by some as "early winter". This is, after all, northern New England. ;)

You're right about Maine weather prediction being something of a "crap shoot", almost any time of year.
This year, there was some unexpectedly fine weather in mid-April --- but that's certainly no guaranty for any future spring. Just the same, given the choice between the two specific (both very sketchy) periods which you've mentioned, I'd almost certainly choose mid-April.

At Samoset, bear in mind that there are only nine 2BR units (collectively, among 48 total units among all three separate timeshare buildings). The other 39 units are 1BR or "deluxe" 1BR). My bet and belief is that 2BR units (or 1BR units, for that matter) in "prime time" generally either get used by their owners or rented out; "deposting for exchange" would certainly not return optimum "value" to the owners of such weeks. Accordingly, an exchange into "prime" Samoset weeks, although not impossible, is certainly highly unlikely.
For a rare 2BR, you might have to "take what you can, when you can" (...but avoid the winter entirely).

Last edited:

jancpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Random comments about my 5/25/12 exchange to Samoset

For some area businesses, their season doesn't start until 6/16/12.

Samoset Resort offers golf cart tours for $6 but won't start until 6/16/12.

China Coast is the name of the restaurant in nearby Harbor Plaza and offers both dine in and take out service.

After 20 years, the Wal Mart next to Harbor Plaza will be relocating to Thomaston in the fall.

The Mariner Grill in Camden offers breakfast and lunch at reasonable prices but closes at 2 pm.

Graffram Bros Harborside Restaurant offers great food and excellent service at reasonable prices too.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

We went in mid-April and it was cold?windy (being on the ocean)-light snow on the golf course, but we did have 50 degree days with sun and were able to do a lot outdoors, including visiting Acadia National Park, and walking the breakwater and hiking up the mountain in Camden, etc. When we left to go home, we had a big Noreaster (Rain-not snow) going on. I do think April would be better than November.

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
I put a week on hold for June 7th to14th 2013. I was originally planning to visit the resort in October, but I am now reconsidering June. How is the weather and the crowds in June? Would June be better than October as far as things to do?

How difficult would it be to get a week in July and August, I never see them available in RCI. I was actually surprised I saw June available.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another $0.02 worth...

<snip> How difficult would it be to get a week in July and August, I never see them available in RCI.

And most likely, you never will. If RCI ever got such a prime week as a "deposit", RCI would likely rent it out themselves to the general public via their Leisure Link or Snap Travel outlets (...for $1,500+, plus taxes).

However, as stated previously, "prime time" weeks at Samoset most always either get used by their owners or rented out privately. Depositing such weeks for "exchange" simply would not return optimum "value" to any owner of such prime weeks. Accordingly, an exchange into "prime" Samoset weeks (...and July and August are absolutely the most prime of all), although not impossible it's highly unlikely. It would probably take a last minute, unexpected change of plans by an owner with too little available remaining time to rent it out. Even then, such an owner would probably let the on-site resale office easily rent it out for them at top dollar (minus a "house" commission), rather than accept a puny number of TPU's from RCI for a "late" deposit.

P.S. The population certainly begins to increase noticeably after Memorial Day (late May); that increase accelerates considerably in / after late June, when the kiddies finish school for the year and families can travel together and the tourist season begins in earnest. You have not specified when within October you already have reserved access. If it's early October (a period during which I own, use and enjoy a week at Samoset myself, among others), I might well choose that over June. However, by October the outdoor "zero entry" pool is already closed for the year, if that matters to you. Camden Hills has nice coastal foliage in many years and the air can be clear & crisp. Weather is always unpredictable, however --- and YMMV. :shrug:

Last edited:

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
And most likely, you never will. If RCI ever got such a prime week as a "deposit", RCI would likely rent it out themselves to the general public via their Leisure Link or Snap Travel outlets (...for $1,500+, plus taxes).

However, as stated previously, "prime time" weeks at Samoset most always either get used by their owners or rented out privately. Depositing such weeks for "exchange" simply would not return optimum "value" to any owner of such prime weeks. Accordingly, an exchange into "prime" Samoset weeks (...and July and August are absolutely the most prime of all), although not impossible it's highly unlikely. It would probably take a last minute, unexpected change of plans by an owner with too little available remaining time to rent it out. Even then, such an owner would probably let the on-site resale office easily rent it out for them at top dollar (minus a "house" commission), rather than accept a puny number of TPU's from RCI for a "late" deposit.

P.S. The population certainly begins to increase noticeably after Memorial Day (late May); that increase accelerates considerably in / after late June, when the kiddies finish school for the year and families can travel together and the tourist season begins in earnest. You have not specified when within October you already have reserved access. If it's early October (a period during which I own, use and enjoy a week at Samoset myself, among others), I might well choose that over June. However, by October the outdoor "zero entry" pool is already closed for the year, if that matters to you. Camden Hills has nice coastal foliage in many years and the air can be clear & crisp. Weather is always unpredictable, however --- and YMMV. :shrug:

Just wanted to share that I have an exchange into Samoset for Aug 10th,2012. My confirmation date is 1/18/2011 for 33 TPU--this was a random manual search. I guess-lucky me:cheer: Dawn

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ayuh!

Just wanted to share that I have an exchange into Samoset for Aug 10th,2012. My confirmation date is 1/18/2011 for 33 TPU--this was a random manual search. I guess-lucky me:cheer: Dawn

Congratulations --- you've truly made a great "score". I can't even begin to imagine how or why an owner would place such a prime week into RCI's hands at all in the first place --- particularly so far in advance.
I'm even more amazed that RCI ever allowed such a prime week to ever get into the "exchange" inventory at all, instead of just renting it out themselves for big bucks (as they have surreptitiously done in the past).
In any event, congrats and enjoy! :)

Last edited:

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
All these glowing reviews of Samoset make me want to go there.

Is there anything to do in early March? What's open? I imagine that it will be quite chilly.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, no and no...

All these glowing reviews of Samoset make me want to go there.

Is there anything to do in early March? What's open? I imagine that it will be quite chilly.

It's still winter in Maine in early March. As far as "anything to do", you might plan to scrape ice and / or snow off your car. The health club on site is still open, but not much else. I'm a native New Englander but I wouldn't even consider mid-coast Maine in early March unless being handsomely paid to be there. YMMV.

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's still winter in Maine in early March. As far as "anything to do", you might plan to scrape ice and / or snow off your car. The health club on site is still open, but not much else. I'm a native New Englander but I wouldn't even consider mid-coast Maine in early March unless being handsomely paid to be there. YMMV.

Very sound advice, Theo. Thank you. I do enough ice scraping in Montreal.

Last edited:

DianneL

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
June 2013

Guess I was lucky to get my trade through RCI into Samoset. We are going June 15 - 22, 2013. Looking forward.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yessa!

<snip>...my trade through RCI into Samoset. We are going June 15 - 22, 2013. Looking forward.

With some cooperation from the weather gods, that should be a great week for you.
The tourist population is manageable because the kiddies are all still in school around New England, yet everything is open for the season (including the outdoor "zero entry" pool). Enjoy! :)

EKniager

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am late to make suggestions but my in-laws live in Tenants Harbor (~20 minutes from Samoset) in the summer. A great day trip involves taking the ferry in Port Clyde to Monhegan Island. Nice ride, beautiful views, relaxing day.

Also, when you get tired of lobstah and blueberry beer, no more than a mile or two from Samoset is a great hot dog shop - Wasses. You'll thank me later! :whoopie:

P.S.- I agree, Moody's for breakfast one day is definitely a must!

Garibottles

Reaction score
Samoset Memorial Day week

Hi Everybody :wave:- First time poster. Just booked a week up at Samoset for may 25-june1. Must admit I've never been north of Freeport. Any information about Samoset (the resort), the surroundings, any places to go, see, do, etc would be much appreciated. Heading up with my wife and 1 year old. My wife can't wait for lobster, dad cant wait for golf, baby cant wait for 4 hour car ride to sleep.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Hi Everybody :wave:- First time poster. Just booked a week up at Samoset for may 25-june1. Must admit I've never been north of Freeport. Any information about Samoset (the resort), the surroundings, any places to go, see, do, etc would be much appreciated. Heading up with my wife and 1 year old. My wife can't wait for lobster, dad cant wait for golf, baby cant wait for 4 hour car ride to sleep.

Camden is a must. Great restaurants and atmosphere. See statue of poet Edna St, Vincent Milay. If you don't mind the 2 hour drive, you won't be disappointed with Acadia National Park.

The resort is right on the water with a golf course. Walk out on the breakwater and see the windjammer ships go by. The resort has nice pools and a decent gym.

Hike Mt. Battie for fabulous views. You can take a postal ferry to one of the islands as well. Lots of lighthouses to visit.

Last edited:

Garibottles

Reaction score
Camden is a must. Great restaurants and atmosphere. See statue of poet Edna St, Vincent Milay. If you don't mind the 2 hour drive, you won't be disappointed with Acadia National Park.

The resort is right on the water with a gold course. Walk out on the breakwater and see the windjammer ships go by. The resort has nice pools and a decent gym.

Hike Mt. Battie for fabulous views. You can take a postal ferry to one of the islands as well. Lots of lighthouses to visit.

Thanks so much for the ideas! Now hopefully the weather will cooperate!

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahh, the weather . The one thing us Mainers havn't figured out how to control. Be prepared for all types of weather and then you'll have it covered . We've been having a really wierd Spring.:shrug:

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention. Frequently in summer we can have lousy weather on coast but it will be nice inland. So pay attention to statewide weather.

Garibottles

Reaction score
Memorial week 2013 in Samoset

Just spent last week up in Samoset and can't say enough about how impressive the whole experience was for my family. First off the views are spectacular! I know we lucked out and got mid summer weather which made hanging out at the pool a bonus! Everything from the cleanliness of our room to the professionalism of the entire Samoset staff to the plethora of activities on site were top notch! I've read mixed reviews about the La Bella Vita restaurant, but in my opinion it was worth every penny. Cocktails and appetizers in front of the fireplace followed by dinner in the main dining room made for a memorable birthday dinner for my wife. I had the halibut, my wife had the seafood stew, both were delicious. And you can't beat the view (even from up on the second level).

If I had to find something to say that wasn't perfect I guess it would only be that you can hear the footsteps of your guests from the room above, but even that wasn't a big issue.

I do have to give a shout out to one VERY impressive off site dining experience. After being horribly disappointed with the overrated reviews of the clam chowder from Cappy's in Camden we stumbled upon the newly opened (just May 28, 2013) Chowder House in Rockland (attached to the Tradewinds inn) and had some of the best clam chowder I've ever had in my life. For dinner my wife had the king crab legs and said they were ' meaty and succulent' and I had the fish and chips which was excellent as well. On top of the great food the staff was very friendly and attentive. A MUST restaurant to try out!

Can't wait to return!

-Rob

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yessah!

Glad you had great weather and enjoyed your stay, also successfully prevailing over the always "iffy" factor of unpredictable weather along the Maine coast. It's almost always a bit of a crap shoot; you roll the dice and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. You clearly won this time --- well done and congratulations!

You have briefly mentioned what is perhaps the one and only potential "downside" of Samoset timeshare units which are not situated on the top (third) level --- i.e., noise being transmitted downward from above.
Because Samoset timeshare buildings are of wood construction, foot / furniture noise from a unit directly above transmits well directly below. Fortunately, it's usually only an issue when "less-than-well-supervised" children on the second or third floors run "relay laps" and / or just decide to drag the kitchen chairs around.

I agree that Cappy's in downtown Camden is seriously overrated. To me, it's best attribute is it's prime, corner location and the fact that it's open 'year round. Aside from that, IMHO it's just somehow...."popular".
Tourists will surely continue to just "parade on in there" in consistently impressive numbers, regardless...

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Steamers

While I love lobster too, my main dining pleasure in Maine is steamer clams!
Love,love, love them. I guess it has to do with visiting our Maine summer home when I was growing up and memories of clamming, bringing them home and steaming them over an open fire in the backyard! Yum! I like clam rolls better than lobster rolls too. And fresh scallops in Maine are also a delight.

channimal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ayuh... I took that ferry once to NS.. was a wonderful trip .. Friday overnight and arrived early morning Saturday into the Port of Yarmouth. Brings back great memories!

I'm very envious. Nova Scotia was the birthplace of all my grandparents and in my youth we would travel as a family (by car) to visit the extended family still there in N.S. for a week or so every summer. In those years (and since then) I have always found the good people of Nova Scotia (a so-called "have not" province) to always be wonderful, warm, friendly and welcoming, without exception. I have always enjoyed returning, although as an adult I usually took the (now defunct) auto ferry from Maine. PEI is wonderful too, although I have not been back since "The Bridge" opened connecting Nova Scotia and P.E.I. Have a great trip! :cheer:

I was saddened to read just recently that the M/V Scotia Prince, the vessel that used to be the auto ferry from Portland, Maine across to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia is actually soon to be turned into scrap metal :eek:.
Service from Portland, Maine ended some years ago (supposedly because of mold discovered at the Ferry terminal, although I frankly never believed that lame and unconvincing story myself).

The M/V Scotia Prince also served as a floating hotel down south in 2005 and later to temporarily house people left without shelter in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The ship later did some sort of Mediterranean cruises, but is now headed for the big scrap heap. It's sad (to me, anyhow) that this little piece of history and service, both public and leisure, will soon just be reduced to a pile of scrap metal. :(