• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Convert, Donate, or Dump? [Vacation Village Parkway]

arlock

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Bienniel Odd TS at Vacation Village Parkway that was converted to points before I purchased it. No problem there. I also have a Biennial Odd at Vacation Village at Weston that has not been converted. I bought this first before I realized that a unit had to have been converted, and a fee paid, to use in the points program). If converted this unit would be 86,500 points every two years. To donate the unit it would cost about $3,800.00 ($2500.00 program fee, two transfer fees, and a year maintanance fees), to convert to points would be about $3,000. The other option would be to ignore the unit, quit paying fees, and let the resort take it back, and then look on the ebay resale market for one that has already been converted, which would likely be under $1,000.00 for one in that point range. It's a week that I paid a dollar for, and it's titled in a trust, so I'm not worried about any issues with me being financially on the hook. The last option seems to make the most sense to me, but I'm not certain if i'm missing something, or if there is any other option that hasn't crossed my mind.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
how about trying to find a willing buyer to take it from you for $1?

arlock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heck, I'd give it away. I'm just trying to think of the easiest and most cost effective way of doing so. So here goes. [Please see the directions I posted above - we have a specific forum, and procedure.]

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
please list it properly in the bargain deals section.

MSchleicher

TUG Member
Reaction score
[I'm sorry, but we don't permit transactions in the discussion forum, so please contact the OP privately, by clicking on their blue user name.]

Last edited by a moderator:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have a Bienniel Odd TS at Vacation Village Parkway that was converted to points before I purchased it. No problem there. I also have a Biennial Odd at Vacation Village at Weston that has not been converted. I bought this first before I realized that a unit had to have been converted, and a fee paid, to use in the points program). If converted this unit would be 86,500 points every two years. To donate the unit it would cost about $3,800.00 ($2500.00 program fee, two transfer fees, and a year maintanance fees), to convert to points would be about $3,000. The other option would be to ignore the unit, quit paying fees, and let the resort take it back, and then look on the ebay resale market for one that has already been converted, which would likely be under $1,000.00 for one in that point range. It's a week that I paid a dollar for, and it's titled in a trust, so I'm not worried about any issues with me being financially on the hook. The last option seems to make the most sense to me, but I'm not certain if i'm missing something, or if there is any other option that hasn't crossed my mind.

Sometimes when you own more than one unit at either the same resort or managed by th same developer, they can with hold all access to all your units with them when you let one fall behind. So that by ignoring one you may lose the other as well. The first step is to write to your hoa and see if they will accept it back. If that doesn't work try giving it away as is. If that doesn't work throw in closing costs and even one years free usage with prepaid mf's. If it is a really bad undesirable week,this might not work but its bettet to start at the begining before moving on to paying thousands to dump or taking a credit hiit.

arlock

TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys have a point. I hate it when legalities and morals are at odds with each other. And I hate it when my conscience takes over and tells me to follow the moral road. The cost differential between selling (including paying maintanance fees closing etc. together with the cost of a points unit, is aboutthe same as the conversion fee. I hate ethics.

arlock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought I was being nice. My wife graduates from Nursing School in December, and she wanted to go on a cruise. I figured "Hey even better, I can get her a timeshare, we can go to Florida, and be able to return every couple years". Bear in mind, we haven't been on vacation in the 8 years we have been married. So anyhow, I buy it, it's in a nice area, and RCI lists the resort as a points destination. Come to find out, you have to convert it, it isn't automatic. In all honesty, if it wasn't for her pregnancy, we'd go in April. But with the Every-other-year points unit we have now, we can go to Florida, not necessarily the same resort, any time of year on a "last call" exchange, and still have points to go where ever in the other years. I guess you live, you learn. I have a couple family members who have shown some interest in using it this April, and then I'll try giving it away. Or the other option is I can go, and have my brother-in-law stay with her while I'm gone. he he he:hysterical:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.

You get a free RCI weeks account with your paid RCI points account.
Have you checked the TPU Points for this unit?

It might be worth keeping it if you split the unit and deposit it as two 1 bedroom units.
You may get some decent trading power with it and it will give you access to the weeks
inventory much cheaper than using your RCI points VV Parkway points.

If you haven't set up your free weeks account yet you need to call RCI and let them set it up for you.
It won't cost you anything since you are already paying for a Points account.

If you'd like us to check the trading power for your week we can check it for you before you decide.
Some weeks at Weston do okay for trading on the RCI weeks side and Vacation Village resorts do well
when split and deposited separately.