• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

3 weeks in Maine and New Hampshire

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Maine and New Hampshire for 3 weeks. We are staying one week at the Inn Season at Falls in Onquit (Maine), Somoset in Maine and Grand Summit Resort-Hotel in Attitash in NH.

Ive never been to any of these resorts and I have only been to Portland, ME where I stayed in the city. Has anyone ever been to these resorts and what are your thoughts. Samoset is a 2 bedroom but the other resorts are only 1 bedroom. There will only be the two of us. Samoset and Onquit only have partial kitchens does either resort have oven or stove tops? We generally eat most of our meals in the unit. Do they have good size fridges? Do any of them have washer and dryers. 3 weeks I need at least do laundry once.

What is your most favorite things to do in the area that could be done in April?

Thanks for any suggestions.

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
April is still cold in Maine . Think indoor activities such as museums, shopping and sight-seeing road trips if weather is good. Portland has a lot to see and do. Use Google and research. Don't know resorts as too close to home.

Nkn

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few Samoset and In nSeasons observations...

<snip> Samoset and Onquit only have partial kitchens does either resort have oven or stove tops? We generally eat most of our meals in the unit. Do they have good size fridges? Do any of them have washer and dryers. 3 weeks I need at least do laundry once.

Samoset unit kitchens have a two burner stovetop with a dishwasher (i.e., instead of an oven) underneath the stovetop. "No oven" is what makes it only a "partial" kitchen in the eyes of the exchange companies. There is also a wall mounted microwave above the stove top and a separate toaster oven on the counter.

The refrigerator is a normal upright, with a top freezer compartment. It's not a particularly huge refrigerator, but it's certainly not just a tiny "dormitory type" unit either.

There are (coin operated) washers and dryers in a designated room on the top floor of each one of the (three separate) timeshare buildings; no Samoset timeshare units have internal washers and dryers.

I don't know anything at all about the "partial" kitchens at Inn Seasons in Ogunquit. The facility itself is a bit north of the small "downtown" area, situated on (but set back a bit from) the southbound side of Route 1.
I believe there is an indoor pool on site --- you certainly won't be swimming outdoors in Maine in April. ;)

P.S. I assume that you are "exchanging" into these places. If so, I encourage you to take a closer look at the check-in date for your Samoset week. All Samoset weeks in Buildings I and II are "Friday to Friday", but...all weeks in Building III are "Saturday to Saturday" instead. In short, the specific building to which you are assigned could impact smooth "date dovetailing" with your other reserved weeks. Just a thought...

Last edited:

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Samoset has a lovely indoor pool and work out room. Most of the TS have ocean views over the oceanfront golf course. There is a jettty walk out to a lighthouse right on property. Nearby is Camden State Park with a small hill with coastal views. Rockland Rockport and Camden are all gorgeous ocean front town's with old buildings, local shops and lots of artwork. The is a great museum in Rockland that has a number of Wyeths. Owls Head has a transportation museum. You are about two hours from Bar Harbour and Acadia National Park.

Weather will be anything from 30 and snow to 80s and sunny. Expect 50s to low 60s with a good chance of rain for a day or two. It's a lovely area with lots of charm, both in its architecture and the ocean views.

Attitash in NH will be very quiet as the ski season will just have ended and Spring will just be starting. That area has beautiful mountain drives, the Mt. Washington railway and/or auto road (check for seasonal hours). We like to see all the waterfalls, which will be very full in April and most are accessible from the road aor very short walks from parking lots. If hiking is your thing, there are tons of mountains. Lake Winnepesauke is about 90 minutes away. North Conway is one of my favorite towns of all time. They have a scenic railway on a village green. Make sure you driive through town on Route 16 going North on a clear day. There is also amazing outlet shopping. Again, weather can be very variable. It will be warmer during the day than the coast of Maine, but colder at night. Go on a moose sighting trip!

Look for maple sugar shacks. They probably will be done boiling, but their syrup is a rare treat.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
P.S. I assume that you are "exchanging" into these places. If so, I encourage you to take a closer look at the check-in date for your Samoset week. All Samoset weeks in Buildings I and II are "Friday to Friday", but...all weeks in Building III are "Saturday to Saturday" instead. In short, the specific building to which you are assigned could impact smooth "date dovetailing" with your other reserved weeks. Just a thought...[/QUOT

Different check in dates have made dovetailing more of a challenge for sure. I have a day open between my first and second week that I will need to find a room. I check in to Samoset on Saturday. I have tried for a while to get Somoset or a nice resort in Maine in the summer with no luck.

We live in Salt Lake, Utah actually close to the mouth of the canyon before going up to Alta and Snowbird. I can handle cold temps (dont like the single digits or even the teens like we have been having lately) and there are years we can get quite a bit of snow. The 40's will be nice. Im sure layers will be the way to dress.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A VERY tough trade...

<snip> I have tried for a while to get Samoset or a nice resort in Maine in the summer with no luck.

No surprise. Summer is definitely "prime time" in Maine and summer week owners at Samoset who are not actually using their units generally can rent them out for pretty serious money, either on their own or through the on-site resale office. Depositing a prime summer week "for exchange" would generally not be a Samoset owner's wisest option since the so-called "partial kitchen" mentioned previously seems to hurt deposit "valuation" (...but certainly not the cold cash rental value).

Anyway, be prepared for unpredictable and potentially wildly variable Maine weather in April --- and enjoy!

Last edited:

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
When in Samoset, if the weather is good, you might drive up to the main part of Acadia National Park. It is a hour or two drive, so be sure to check if the park is open before you go.

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Mountain View at Crown Ridge
When at Attitash drive up to Breton Woods for spectacular views of Mt Washington. Great area to hike.
Favorite restaurant near the Grand Summit in North Conway is the 1785 Inn and Restaurant.
Definitely take a drive on the Kancamagus Scenic Highway.