• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

what to do in Cape Cod in March??

Travelclam

TUG Member
Reaction score
What can a family do in Cape Cod in early March? It's our school winter break week. I wonder whether we should even try Cape Cod or just stick with NH or VT.

any suggestions?

B

channimal

TUG Member
Reaction score
hmmm.. for me, that time of the year on the cape is pretty quiet .. and, well.. boring. My vote would be NH/VT mountains and hiking.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What can a family do in Cape Cod in early March? It's our school winter break week. I wonder whether we should even try Cape Cod or just stick with NH or VT.

any suggestions?

B

Unlike NH or VT, there is no "mud season" per se on Cape Cod. Nonetheless, if there are any skiers among your clan, I'd definitely go to VT or NH instead. Early March is well before "mud season" anyhow...

I used to live on lower Cape Cod year round. While there is much natural beauty to be enjoyed in the cold and desolation of early March, my bet is that school age kiddies would be less than enthralled by that particular consolation. Aside from a day trip to the Woods Hole Aquarium, I suspect that the kiddies would be otherwise bored nearly to tears on Cape Cod in early March. :shrug:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Indeed, even if there are no skiers in the clan there is also maple trees, ice skating, tubing, etc.

Smuggs and Sugarbush are near Ben and Jerry's, Magic Hat, Cabot and other fun destinations.

I think theo's comment 'cold and desolate' describes the cape in March quite well.

Last edited:

e.bram

Reaction score
Low season you can probably, find an oceanfront TS and watch the waves and relax to the pounding of the surf on the beach.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Low season you can probably, find an oceanfront TS and watch the waves and relax to the pounding of the surf on the beach.

Unless you really want to do that, and risk the bone numbing chill you may not be able to shake with the dampness & often howling wind, you may be far better off at a purpose built timeshare that isn't directly on the beach - especially that time of year. You will find those have plenty of bad weather activities and amenities that allow guests to enjoy an off season visit. That may mean things like indoor pools, tennis, basketball, game rooms, exercise areas, racquet ball, handball - and you can easily get to the year round restaurants and services all around the Cape. It is much better than being stuck out on the open coast where even walking to the car is a dreaded trip you need to bundle up like Antarctica to accomplish.

Check into the much more poor weather friendly resorts for an off season or even in season visit.

e.bram

Reaction score
Actually the ocean tends to moderate the cold air temperature.
TimeOS2: Coastal NJ, NY(even NYC), RI , and CT tend to be a lot less cold than inland upstate NY(like Rochester). You should know that. I do, I went to school in Ithaca.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We went to Smuggs (VT) last January- 1st winter vacation there. Had a great time. Don't ski, but went dogsledding, horse drawn sleigh in Stowe, snowmobiling through the Notch at night and had a candlelit dinner in a cabin up Sterling Mtn. (had to go up the ski lift) and then snowshoed down the mountain under the stars. Also, went swimming in the outdoor heated pool during snowfall in the evening. They also have indoor pools and lots of other indoor activities there as well.

Travelclam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw an exchange week available for the exact winter break week at Cove at Yarmouth, so I thought since we haven't been to the Cape it would be nice to go check it out. But now it sounds a bit too brrrrrrr chilly and not much to do.

I mean we are okay with the chilly weather; we are used to the cold up here in Canada. But if there aren't much to do; that would be challenging with 2 young children for a week.

Well, something else to consider then.

thx for your feedback.

B

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I saw an exchange week available for the exact winter break week at Cove at Yarmouth, so I thought since we haven't been to the Cape it would be nice to go check it out. But now it sounds a bit too brrrrrrr chilly and not much to do.

I mean we are okay with the chilly weather; we are used to the cold up here in Canada. But if there aren't much to do; that would be challenging with 2 young children for a week.

Well, something else to consider then.

thx for your feedback.

B

I really think with 2 young children if you can get into Sumggs in VT or another ski resort in New England you would be better off. Many have lots of activities for the young ones, whether they ski or not. Save the Cape for late spring or Summer/Fall (although it gets crowded).

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Actually the ocean tends to moderate the cold air temperature.
TimeOS2: Coastal NJ, NY(even NYC), RI , and CT tend to be a lot less cold than inland upstate NY(like Rochester). You should know that. I do, I went to school in Ithaca.

True - it is FAR more moderate on the ocean than on the chilly shores of lake Ontario but I'm not planning on spending anytime at Charlotte or Hamlin Beach in March either. I'll stick to the more temperate areas a ways from the lake front & utilize the attractions there just as I would enjoy areas away from the beach in Cape Cod that time of year. It just isn't an enjoyable time of year to be on the waterfront wherever it may be located.

jaym

TUG Member
Reaction score

any suggestions?

B

Although Cape Cod in March can be chilly, and certainly not as many outdoor activities compared to late April or early May, here's my two cents on what you can do as a young family, without the crowds:

Sandwich area:
http://www.sandwichglassmuseum.org/visit.php?pgID=13 (open Wed-Sun in March)
http://www.thorntonburgess.org/HoursAndRates.htm
Mashpee:
http://mashpeecommons.com/
http://www.capecodchildrensmuseum.org/hours-admission/

http://www.ccmnh.org/
http://willysgym.com/

and more....

Last edited:

e.bram

Reaction score
John(or anyone else):
Where would you go just to get away for a break during the off season DRIVING DISTANCE from where we reside? Buffalo lake front of oceanfront Cape Cod? Or someplace else?

jaym

TUG Member
Reaction score
John(or anyone else):
Where would you go just to get away for a break during the off season DRIVING DISTANCE from where we reside? Buffalo lake front of oceanfront Cape Cod? Or someplace else?

e.bram-
What off-season month would you plan to drive from NJ to Buffalo or Cape Cod and would it be you and spouse only or with children? (kids ages?)
I mention this b/c as u know, winter storms could be impactful to either region but I would be especially concerned about Buffalo between Dec.-early March.
I think the drive to Cape Cod would be somewhat easier and you could even plan to head to Boston for a day from your Cape base if you desired, about 90 minutes or so.
What do you like to do, are you, wife, and family active, enjoy museums, or just like to relax once you get there? There are many great B&Bs and restaurants on Cape Cod that could fit the bill if you would like to read, eat well, and get much needed R&R.....I have never visited upstate NY or the Buffalo area so I cannot provide you with experiences in that area.
Hope this helps.

P.S. um, Florida is "driving distance" from NJ, and suits my taste for a winter escape from our brutal Northeast winters ;)

J-

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
John(or anyone else):
What months are you considering as 'off season'
What driving time or mileage do you consider 'DRIVING DISTANCE'
Are these your two choices? Buffalo or Cape Cod?

Buffalo cold in Jan/Feb can be -18f cold. Not much to do outside. Cape Cod cold is generally 0f as the ocean keeps it warmer. Though blustery.

Heading south you have Williamsburg, DC, Virginia (getting warmer), Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head (warmer still).

If you are wanting to enjoy the east coast weather then Killington, Stowe, Smuggs all offer ski and other winter activities. Also Hershey, or Great Wolf (but $$$). Similarly Hunter and Mountain Creek have upped their game on non ski winter activities over the last few years (though brutally busy at the weekend)

e.bram

Reaction score
My wife and myself relaxing and chilling out for about 5 to 7 days. Driving more than five hours is about what we consider the max ruling our MD, VA, NC, SC, AL and FL. . Newport and westerly also have oceanfront resorts and sometimes we go there.