• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
looks like there is nothing about autobooking - or reserving at 14 months
that may have been set by SVN as a service to owners

So, the rep may be right this time and the 14 months reservation period may have really gone away, and the auto booking who knows. I guess VG owners will have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully VGV owners report what their experiences are moving forward.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about when the VGV HOA sale will take place?

I believe last year the info. came out in August. Perhaps there won't be any this year?

The last update they provided said it would be at the end of August. But nothing happened.

I guess now we know why there is no HOA sale this year:
From Virgin Grand Villas - November 2015 Report to Owners

DEVELOPER PURCHASE OF FORECLOSED UNIT WEEKS THAT WE OWN

Another development is that the Virgin Grand developer has agreed to purchase all 112 unit weeks that the Association owns as a result of foreclosures on delinquent owners. These are unit weeks on which the owners were not paying maintenance fees and, as a result, the rest of us had to pay their share of operating costs. So, commencing in 2016, the developer will pay the maintenance fees for these unit weeks until new fee-paying owners purchase them.

This sale is of significant benefit to all of us as owners. In the past two years, we have held "bargain sales" to enable existing owners to purchase this inventory. Despite very low prices, we were able to sell to owners only a fraction of the unit weeks that we owned, and therefore the sales (and the annual fees paid by the new owners) resulted in a smaller impact on maintenance fees than we had hoped. The sale of these 112 unit weeks will result in an annual benefit to the Association in excess of $200,000 (far more than we could anticipate as a result of a third "bargain sale" where far less than all of the unit weeks would be sold). We will also realize a one-time benefit of $242,480 from the proceeds of the sale. While it is of course helpful for the Association to receive this cash payment, we consider it to be less important than the ongoing receipts of increased maintenance fees, attributable to these 112 unit weeks. Next year, the Board will decide how to allocate those funds. Some of the proceeds from this payment could be applied to accelerate, during the next one to three years, the full funding of the special reserve that we created four years ago to pay for the $2.3 million deductible on the insurance policy that protects us in the event of a hurricane. Currently, that fund has about $1.5 million. Some of the funds can also offset what would otherwise be an increase in maintenance costs attributable to the Association resulting from the conversion, by 2017, of 96 hotel rooms to 48 timeshare units, which will cause an increase of about 5 percentage points in our proportionate share of the costs associated with the operation of the common areas such as the big pool and the tennis courts. We currently pay $186,662 each year to maintain those common areas, or about $39.78 (on average) per unit week.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

Another development is that the Virgin Grand developer has agreed to purchase all 112 unit weeks that the Association owns ...

Hmm, who exactly is the "Virgin Grand developer" ??
Is this a side effect to the ILG purchase?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Hmm, who exactly is the "Virgin Grand developer" ??
Is this a side effect to the ILG purchase?

My guess is that since SVO now has a newly reinvigorated sales operation there (for Sunset Bay), it's going to be pretty easy for them to sell those units for a nice profit. Also, yes since SVO is spinning off, they need a way to acquire inventory besides just building new resorts, and this deal gives them a ROFR deal at WSJ. Seems like a win-win.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This purchase by SVO is a huge announcement - really makes one wonder what is going on behind the scene. This is also another first for SVO.
Glad they didn't pick and choose which ones they picked up.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Another development is that the Virgin Grand developer has agreed to purchase all 112 unit weeks that the Association owns as a result of foreclosures on delinquent owners. These are unit weeks on which the owners were not paying maintenance fees and, as a result, the rest of us had to pay their share of operating costs. So, commencing in 2016, the developer will pay the maintenance fees for these unit weeks until new fee-paying owners purchase them.

This sale is of significant benefit to all of us as owners. In the past two years, we have held "bargain sales" to enable existing owners to purchase this inventory. Despite very low prices, we were able to sell to owners only a fraction of the unit weeks that we owned, and therefore the sales (and the annual fees paid by the new owners) resulted in a smaller impact on maintenance fees than we had hoped. The sale of these 112 unit weeks will result in an annual benefit to the Association in excess of $200,000 (far more than we could anticipate as a result of a third "bargain sale" where far less than all of the unit weeks would be sold). We will also realize a one-time benefit of $242,480 from the proceeds of the sale. While it is of course helpful for the Association to receive this cash payment, we consider it to be less important than the ongoing receipts of increased maintenance fees, attributable to these 112 unit weeks. Next year, the Board will decide how to allocate those funds. Some of the proceeds from this payment could be applied to accelerate, during the next one to three years, the full funding of the special reserve that we created four years ago to pay for the $2.3 million deductible on the insurance policy that protects us in the event of a hurricane. Currently, that fund has about $1.5 million. Some of the funds can also offset what would otherwise be an increase in maintenance costs attributable to the Association resulting from the conversion, by 2017, of 96 hotel rooms to 48 timeshare units, which will cause an increase of about 5 percentage points in our proportionate share of the costs associated with the operation of the common areas such as the big pool and the tennis courts. We currently pay $186,662 each year to maintain those common areas, or about $39.78 (on average) per unit week.

I got this today too.

How convenient that the HOA (controlled by Starwood people) decided to sell the units to the developer which means buy low so you can churn the units and make a lot more money. But, I guess it's good for owners because we get the benefit of getting MFs from all units and that helps our own MFs.

I am very glad I just found a contiguous week to my existing week in the resale market for a price that was pretty low (I bet lower than the closed action price that I would have paid in the HOA sale for a less convenient week/unit). I am looking to having access to the storage cosets in the second floor. It will make travel so much easier by leaving the bulky things there. Perhaps even non perishable items like booze. :clap:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rep said I would hear from them by tomorrow. We'll see...

I got my updated resie showing all info correctly, including my fixed villa. So all is good. We'll see what happens with the subsequent week resie.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got this today too.

How convenient that the HOA (controlled by Starwood people) decided to sell the units to the developer which means buy low so you can churn the units and make a lot more money. But, I guess it's good for owners because we get the benefit of getting MFs from all units and that helps our own MFs.

I am very glad I just found a contiguous week to my existing week in the resale market for a price that was pretty low (I bet lower than the closed action price that I would have paid in the HOA sale for a less convenient week/unit). I am looking to having access to the storage cosets in the second floor. It will make travel so much easier by leaving the bulky things there. Perhaps even non perishable items like booze. :clap:

Actually, I'll correct myself, the Starwood HOA members were not part of the decision. Two paragraphs below it mentioned:

"You should be aware that the three developer-appointed directors to the Association Board did not participate in the negotiations resulting in this arrangement and recused themselves from voting when it was presented to the Board; it was negotiated and approved by the two of us and unanimously approved by us as, in our considered judgment, being in the best interests of the Association and its owners, taken as a whole."

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, I'll correct myself, the Starwood HOA members were not part of the decision. Two paragraphs below it mentioned:

"You should be aware that the three developer-appointed directors to the Association Board did not participate in the negotiations resulting in this arrangement and recused themselves from voting when it was presented to the Board; it was negotiated and approved by the two of us and unanimously approved by us as, in our considered judgment, being in the best interests of the Association and its owners, taken as a whole."
From what any Starwood owner saw of maintainance fees post financial crisis they skyrocketed due to the unrecoverable from delinquent owners.

That and the statement that owners only want the platinum plus weeks indicate best business judgement was used here.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Phil and Bob decided w/o other 3 SVO HOA Board members voting.
You could write them and request to know which VOIs were sold, but likely not the high demand villas.
'taken as a whole'

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
'taken as a whole'

That's the key! From my calculation, each week averaged more than $2000 in sales. Under the assumption that majority (if not all) weeks are non-prime season weeks, I think Phil and Bob did a fantastic job.
I just hope that, going forward, Westin would take the week back rather than letting them go into foreclosure. This will not only help to maintain the timeshare value, but also save HOA a lot of money to take legal action in foreclosing. I guess I'm dreaming. :)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WSJ-VGV - Nov. 2015 Report to Owners

For this interested - here's a copy of the full email sent from the VGV HOA

Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Villas Owner:

As your owner-elected members of the Board of Directors of Virgin Grand, we recently participated in two board meetings. The first meeting was held in early October to participate in preparing the 2016 budget. The second meeting was held on November 20 to approve the proposed 2016 budget, which was included with the Notice of the November meeting that was sent to all owners.

MAINTENANCE FEES GOING DOWN AGAIN
The good news is that there will be no maintenance fee increase next year! In fact, there will be another small maintenance fee decrease (1.5%). This reduction in our fees will occur despite having increases in the cost of insurance, employee wages, benefits, other contractual costs, and adding to reserves for improved communication services.

This is the fifth consecutive year in which maintenance fees have gone down. Although a significant part of the reduction resulted from circumstances beyond management's control (a reduction in the cost of electricity from 51 cents to 38 cents per KWH), we can also appreciate management's continuing efforts to control costs and to increase efficiency.

MORE IMPROVEMENTS COMING
Notwithstanding the decrease in maintenance fees, the resort is still improving. Buildings 33, 34, 41 and 42 were renovated in 2015, and buildings 31, 32, 43 and 44 will have renovations in 2016. (Despite several attempts, we could not obtain the required unanimous consent from the owners of unit weeks in any of the units in buildings 41 and 42, so the renovations in those buildings will not include a fixed wall in the upstairs bedroom area as many owners of those units had requested).

The Board also approved our suggestion that ADA-compliant chilled water dispensers be installed at both of the hillside pools, and that towel drying racks be provided for the patios in all of the pool villas. And on a more mundane note of interest to those of us who cook in our units, expect more sturdy garbage bags in your kitchens. (This is something that both owners and the cleaning staff have desired).

Earlier this year, we anticipated, and announced in a report to you, that we would have a third "bargain sale" this year. Because of the fortuitous development of the sale of our entire inventory of foreclosed unit weeks, there will not be such a sale. In future years, under our agreement, the developer has a right of first refusal to buy such unit weeks as we acquire by foreclosure at a scheduled price. If the developer does not exercise this right, we could at some point hold another sale to owners. And if for any reason we become dissatisfied with this arrangement in future years, the Association has the right to cancel the agreement.

You should be aware that the three developer-appointed directors to the Association Board did not participate in the negotiations resulting in this arrangement and recused themselves from voting when it was presented to the Board; it was negotiated and approved by the two of us and unanimously approved by us as, in our considered judgment, being in the best interests of the Association and its owners, taken as a whole.

FREECYCLE SHED UPDATE
The freecycle shed seems to be working very well. General Manager Mike Ryan reports that at checkout time on Fridays and Saturdays, between 10 and 12, there are typically 25 to 30 beach chairs in the shed, available for use during the week by Virgin Grand owners and their guests. And by 4 pm, they have all been taken by incoming unit owners and their guests. As a result, the Board has authorized a small expenditure ($500 per year, or about ten cents per unit week) to purchase additional beach chairs or other equipment to be housed in the shed. Reminder: if you take something from the shed, please return it there at the end of your stay, and don't leave it in a locker or at the beach. And if you happen to buy equipment while you are in St. John that you don't want to take back with you, please contribute it for freecycling.

NEW DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
When you next visit the resort, please welcome the new Director of Operations, Sam Hugli, who brings his many years of experience in the hospitality industry to our resort. We encourage all owners to attend the owners' cocktail party, held in the late afternoon on nearly every Monday, weather permitting. Mr. Hugli will often be present, along with Mike Ryan.

VISTANA SIGNATURE EXPERIENCES
As had previously been announced, Starwood Vacation Ownership ("SVO") is being spun off by Starwood to become a stand-alone public company, Vistana Signature Experiences ("Vistana"), which will manage the timeshare resorts previously managed by SVO. This development was anticipated to be completed during 2015, but we have been advised to expect it to occur during the second quarter of 2016. And just a few weeks ago Starwood announced that upon completion of the spin-off Vistana will merge with Interval Leisure Group ("ILG"), a "provider of non-traditional lodging…that currently operates more than 200 resort properties around the world". In that announcement Starwood stated that timeshare owners will continue to have access to the Starwood Preferred Guest ("SPG") program and, as well, exchange privileges, including through the Starwood Vacation Network and Interval International, which is part of ILG.

Recently, it was announced that Starwood and Marriott International will merge to create the world's largest hotel company. This is expected to occur mid-year of 2016, following the spin-off of SVO to Vistana and its immediate merger with ILG. SVO will remain part of Starwood until its merger with ILG is complete. As of now, no changes have been announced to owners' SPG program status, Starpoints or existing reservations.

NOTICES FROM US AND FROM THE RESORT
If you received this newsletter from a friend or relative rather than directly from an SVO email, you probably have not given SVO the email address that you most often check. In that case, you might want to update your email listing online at starwoodvacationnetwork.com so that you receive all emailed notices from the resort and from us, your elected representatives.

ANNUAL MEETING
The 2016 annual meeting of the Association will be held on February 22 at the resort. If you will be at the resort that week, we encourage you to attend and ask questions. Information will be sent out in advance of the meeting.

Sincerely,
Philip G. Schrag
phil.schrag@gmail.com

Robert H. Werbel
robert.werbel@yahoo.com

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
WSJ Resort Fee for WSJ Owner staying in an SPG Unit

Have any WSJ owners had experience with the resort fee when staying in a WSJ unit on SPG points (starpoints)?

We did this once and were charged the $40 fee for 2 nights, but not for the other 3. We have a 5-night stay scheduled again in 2016, but are not sure what to expect.

zdarskyjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have any WSJ owners had experience with the resort fee when staying in a WSJ unit on SPG points (starpoints)?

We did this once and were charged the $40 fee for 2 nights, but not for the other 3. We have a 5-night stay scheduled again in 2016, but are not sure what to expect.

Just stayed for 6 nights the week before last. First night with SPG points and a 5 night star options exchange. I did get charged a 40.00 resort fee for the one SPG night

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

If your stay was on SPs - then you should have have been charge the $40 resort charge for the other 3 nites. But... this is WSJ after all - maybe they waived, maybe they forgot.

The $40/day charge should be stated on your reservation, AND reminded upon checkin.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Question about Maint Fee

I just checked my online account to see when my maintenance fee payment was due.
I first checked my SVV and it gave the amount due and the balance and that it was due by 1/5/16.
Went to my WSJ week and the maintenance fee info was there but said "Due date n/a" and balance of zero.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked my online account to see when my maintenance fee payment was due.
I first checked my SVV and it gave the amount due and the balance and that it was due by 1/5/16.
Went to my WSJ week and the maintenance fee info was there but said "Due date n/a" and balance of zero.

I have, my HRA units show the same also.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

Mine is the same; thought maybe it was just me because I recently adopted this unit in October. :doh:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
not weird - MFs have not been posted yet for WSJ-VGV

Okay thanks.
Seems late to me, but will check back in a week. Do you know when the bills are usually due?

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score

We have stayed twice on SPG points, both times $40/night was charged.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
So, the rep may be right this time and the 14 months reservation period may have really gone away, and the auto booking who knows. I guess VG owners will have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully VGV owners report what their experiences are moving forward.

My reservation for 2017 showed up automatically today, with a message indicating that the status is unconfirmed.

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that since SVO now has a newly reinvigorated sales operation there (for Sunset Bay), it's going to be pretty easy for them to sell those units for a nice profit. Also, yes since SVO is spinning off, they need a way to acquire inventory besides just building new resorts, and this deal gives them a ROFR deal at WSJ. Seems like a win-win.

First refusal for these MF-delinquent units only, correct? Not every year, unless it's negotiated?

Just being nosey here, but I would love to know what weeks were available?

Why couldn't we have put them up for sale through real-estate companies that handle re-sales? Even if we sold them through MLS for a reasonable amount?

So with turning these over, back to I assume Starwood, should our MF decrease dramatically next year (or for 2018) since we are no longer covering delinquent units?

Status
Not open for further replies.