• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elite status question

jabak5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF (Maui) 2bd (even year)
WLR (Cancun) 2bd (odd year)
WKR (Scottsdale) 1bd Premium X 2 (both even)
Westin Flex annual
And that’s it, no more. Definitely done!
Quick question I couldn't find in owners resources sticky.
I know the benefits of 3 star elite are basically worth nothing but can someone advise me.

I know you need 159,000 star options for 3 star elite.
If you own 2 developer purchases (mandatory resorts) and purchase a third VOI RESALE at a mandatory resort which gives you at least the 159k options necessary for elite status would that allow you 3 star elite status or do all purchases have to be developer purchases to reach elite status?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only developer purchases, or requalified resales, count towards Eliteness...

Mandatory vs voluntary doesn't enter in to this equation.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The SOs from a resale can be used towards Elite status only if it is Requaled by buying a VOI (TS week) from SVO. Meaning your resale with SOs (Mandatory) do not count towards Elite status.

jabak5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF (Maui) 2bd (even year)
WLR (Cancun) 2bd (odd year)
WKR (Scottsdale) 1bd Premium X 2 (both even)
Westin Flex annual
And that’s it, no more. Definitely done!
Thanks for the quick responses. i did first check with SVO Owners Services and was told purchases needed to be Developer Purchases, which I thought would be the case. I just want to double check here. THX

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for the quick responses. i did first check with SVO Owners Services and was told purchases needed to be Developer Purchases, which I thought would be the case. I just want to double check here. THX

Not quite correct, the SOs from retro'd resale weeks do count towards Elite Status, but that has to be done with a Developer purchase. This is often discussed here and performed by quite a few Tuggers (like me...)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not quite correct, the SOs from retro'd resale weeks do count towards Elite Status, but that has to be done with a Developer purchase. This is often discussed here and performed by quite a few Tuggers (like me...)

Do you know if it is possible to retro a unit by fixing the week and unit? I am not sure if those new dollars would qualify as new money to retro a week. Probably not.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Do you know if it is possible to retro a unit by fixing the week and unit? I am not sure if those new dollars would qualify as new money to retro a week. Probably not.

If you are asking if you can take a resale float and fix it to requal? No, the fixed weeks are different deeds. They will take a float as an exchange (giving credit for original price paid) for a purchasing a fix (like I discussed at WPORV), but still costly.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are asking if you can take a resale float and fix it to requal? No, the fixed weeks are different deeds. They will take a float as an exchange (giving credit for original price paid) for a purchasing a fix (like I discussed at WPORV), but still costly.

So, not every unit/week can be fixed then.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
So, not every unit/week can be fixed then.

Sorry, I am not following...
There are resorts where VOIs are all fixed (like WSJ-VGV),
But what is motivation for them to convert a Float VOI to Fixed - which have different week-types deeded

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I am not following...
There are resorts where VOIs are all fixed (like WSJ-VGV),
But what is motivation for them to convert a Float VOI to Fixed - which have different week-types deeded

Motivation would be charging 10K to fix the week and 10K to fix the unit. I think that's the current rate for fixing.

Anyway, it seems like that is not possible even if you give them more money.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Motivation would be charging 10K to fix the week and 10K to fix the unit. I think that's the current rate for fixing.

.Anyway, it seems like that is not possible even if you give them more money.

It is possible. The cost to "Fix A Unit" is +10% not 10K plus
The cost to "Fix A Week" is +10% not 10K.

As far as I know you have to do both - Total 20%. Most VOIs are less than 100K so 20% would be less than 20,000 the amount of new money to do any upgrade/swap/exchange.

Therefore an additional VOI is usually required. Motivation is to know where your unit/view is vs whatever they assign you!
We have done this and this is exactly how it works - after 30 other offers:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is possible. The cost to "Fix A Unit" is +10% not 10K plus
The cost to "Fix A Week" is +10% not 10K.

As far as I know you have to do both - Total 20%. Most VOIs are less than 100K so 20% would be less than 20,000 the amount of new money to do any upgrade/swap/exchange.

Therefore an additional VOI is usually required. Motivation is to know where your unit/view is vs whatever they assign you!
We have done this and this is exactly how it works - after 30 other offers:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting this.