• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now, at Nautical Mile Resort in Wells, ME

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A week ago, 8 of us stayed at Village by the Sea (Condos, not Timeshare).
It was a 'guys' thing; a golf trip; we drove 3 hours south from our homes in the Bangor area.

I'm not sure how close that is, to where you are staying----it was on Rt 1.

How's your experience so far?

Pat

Last edited:

npey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very nice, thank you, we haven't had any rain. We have been pretty much exploring the coastal towns, so far 9 including Bar Harbor. Wanted to go to Bangor. Is it worth the trip?

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very nice, thank you, we haven't had any rain. We have been pretty much exploring the coastal towns, so far 9 including Bar Harbor. Wanted to go to Bangor. Is it worth the trip?

Bangor has alot of shopping (malls, etc)-----but Portland has more----so I wouldn't make a trek to Bangor.

The Old Port in Portland is worth going to................

npey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bangor has alot of shopping (malls, etc)-----but Portland has more----so I wouldn't make a trek to Bangor.

The Old Port in Portland is worth going to................

We did some shopping in Freeport & Kittery. We checked the Old Port in Portland and also found the best lobster rolls in that city. Bangor is just too high up; I tried to go there when we went to Greenville in 2002, but decided to go to Quebec City instead. This time I couldn't fit it in any of my itineraries. Next time.
Maine is beautiful anywhere.
Thanks.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did some shopping in Freeport & Kittery. We checked the Old Port in Portland and also found the best lobster rolls in that city. Bangor is just too high up; I tried to go there when we went to Greenville in 2002, but decided to go to Quebec City instead. This time I couldn't fit it in any of my itineraries. Next time.
Thanks.

I call Bangor, Maine my HOME, but I wouldn't advise anyone to drive over 2 hours from Southern Maine to come 'up' here.

We have a nice city/town, but there are many across Maine...............

Pat

deemarket

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best lobster Rolls in Portland - where?

Thanks.
We will be in New Harbor end of July. Couldn't get into a TS so we rented from Thompson Cottages for first time. The cabin is right on the rocky shore so we are hoping for a good stay. Hope we get good weather too. Where did you find the good Lobster Rolls in Portland?
Thanks

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've lived in the Greater Portland area for most of my life (60+). In my opinion, the absolute best lobster rolls are at The Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth. They go to the trouble of toasing the buns!! Not only is the lobster the best, the view cannot be beat..open ocean, pounding waves, rocky coast, picnic tables with umbrellas, etc., etc.

Alternatively, if I am down near the state line in Kittery, I prefer the Chauncey Creek Lobster Pound. A different type of view...tidal river...but still wonderful lobster.

Unfortunately, the parking spaces in both locations fill up fast. Both places can be googled.

nkn:cheer:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
ROLL dem lobstas...

I'm not much of a lobster fan. Working my butt off early and long hours as a "stern man" for a grumpy Maine lobsterman one summer back in my college days may have had something to do with that. But I digress...

There is a place on Main Street in Rockland, Maine (near the Farnsworth Museum) called The Brass Compass, whose Lobster Roll prevailed over that of noted TV Chef Bobby Flay in a "throwdown" a year or so ago.
Apparently that particular achievement is regarded as a pretty big deal in some "foodie" circles... :shrug:

Last edited:

npey

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be in New Harbor end of July. Couldn't get into a TS so we rented from Thompson Cottages for first time. The cabin is right on the rocky shore so we are hoping for a good stay. Hope we get good weather too. Where did you find the good Lobster Rolls in Portland?
Thanks

The restaurant was Eventide Oyster Company, an oyster bar; they have 3 versions: brown butter, mayo and hollandaise; we all went for the award winner brown butter. I made a point to eat something lobstery every day of our trip and they were simply the best. I should have asked for recommendations in this forum as we made some mistakes: lobster rolls from Federal Jack’s (nice view though) and Pilot House (good outdoor live music) in Kennebunkport were bland, we really didn’t do a good restaurant research in this town. The Lobster Shack in Perkins Cove was a so-so. My biggest disappointment was the famous Red’s Eat in Wiscasset; it was the best lobster roll value of all we tried, but they not even put salt on it. My husband liked a little better than me. Because you are going to be close to this town, try this restaurant anyway. I liked their clam cakes and the wild blueberry cake. Expect a line.
In relation to the weather, we were nicely surprised that it doesn’t rain in Maine. In our 8 days trip, we didn’t experience any rain; it must be that I took too long time to finally get to that lovely coast.
Hope you have good weather as we did

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
it doesn’t rain in Maine.
Glad you had good weather, but it certainly does rain in Maine and it winter it snows. Red's in Wiscassett was considered to be the best for lobster rolls a few years ago, with the note that they don't add anything to the roll but lobster. We don't care for lobster, so there's no basis for a personal opinion.

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from a weeks stay at Samoset. It was our first visit to Maine and we loved the area and the people we met. The weather interesting - two days near 90 and a couple that didn't get much above 60 with a heavy fog. We had lunch one day at the Brass Compass in Rockland and enjoyed it. We ended up eating one day at Sarah's in Wiscassett which is right across the street from Red's. I knew nothing about Red's but was amazed at the line that wound all the way down the side walk. Shortly after we got there it began pouring rain. I looked across the street and the line remained very long with everyone holding a red and white Red's umbrella.

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Weather is always iffy in Maine, particularly in June. Glad you enjoyed yourself. If you plan to return, try Sept or Oct. the fall always seems to be a little nicer. Nkn

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weather is always iffy in Maine, particularly in June. Glad you enjoyed yourself. If you plan to return, try Sept or Oct. the fall always seems to be a little nicer. Nkn

Can I add (to the post above)---IF it's October; I'd say the early part of October.................

Pat