• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

what plays to see in nyc

rynker

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're in NYC starting June 6. Any recommendations for the best plays would be appreciated. We come from the lakes and farm country so the theater is foreign to many of us. We just saw "Wicked" in Chicago and loved it. Thanks for any advice!

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Rynker :hi:

I'd be interested in whatever answers you receive.
We'll be in NY in late March and included with our tour are three stage plays.
But... we don't know which shows we'll see :eek:
(Probably the cheapest ones :D )

Piper

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's so much to choose from! A friend just saw "August: Osage County" and said it was great. My husband and kids saw "Hairspray" and raved about it. "Chorus Line" is also back on Broadway if you're looking for a classic.

You may be able to get discount tickets from: http://www.broadwaybox.com/

I ordered full price tickets to "NOVEMBER" with Nathan Lane and then saw that I could have gotten 25% off through broadwaybox.com. Live and learn!

Have fun.

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Watch at Grand Dunes
Hairspray! We just saw it with my 14 year old daughter. It was a lot of fun.

Vicki

senorak

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another vote for "Hairspray". :whoopie: I've seen it 4 times and absolutely love it! Even my kids, (ages 11 and 12) and my husband, (who usually falls asleep at Broadway shows), enjoyed it. And I second the advice for checking broadwaybox.com. I just booked mezzanine seats for "A Chorus Line" at $55 each, and tickets to an off-Broadway show, "I love you, You're Perfect, Now Change" for March. They have lots of discounts available.

Other favorites from past visits include: Wicked, Rent, Mamma Mia, and Altar Boyz (off Broadway). I'd love to see "Jersey Boys"; but tickets are sold out (and I refuse to pay the inflated prices).

Deb

roadsister

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am heading to the MC in May...have tickets to Wicked and Little Mermaid - can't wait....

We are going to try for last minute tickets to a couple other shows...don't know which ones yet..

geneticblend

TUG Member
Reaction score
Skyauction.com always seems to be auctioning off tickets to New York shows as well as New York restaurants. I am not familiar with New York, so I can not make any recommendations, but you might want to take a look at what skyauction has to offer. Someone mentioned Spamalot, I've seen tickets to that particular show being aucitoned off. Sometimes they have combinations of tickets and dinner.

Piper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since my daughter is in college in NYC, I frequently go up to drop her off or pick her up. I have consistently been able to get tickets to every show I have wanted to see (sold out or not) at the box office on the day of the performance. I have paid full price -- but have gotten GREAT seats! I gather that the theaters hold some seats back in case they need seats for some important person. They release them on the day of the show. I have never tried this for more than 2 tickets at a time.

roadsister

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Do you figure out what show you want to go see and then go to that theater box office or do you go to one of those places where they sell same day tickets to shows?

cathyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely go see "August: Osage County"!

Piper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you figure out what show you want to go see and then go to that theater box office or do you go to one of those places where they sell same day tickets to shows?

I go directly to the box office of the show I want to see. I'm talking about shows that are basically sold-out so they will not have tickets at the TKTS place.

I got front row, center tickets of the mezzanine to Sweeny Todd with Patti Lupone and 2 orchestra aisle seats -- about 7 rows back from the stage -- for Lion King. (The parade of animals down the aisle came right by us. It was incredible!)

Last edited:

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would go for the Blue Man Group at the Astor Theatre. A great into to off-off-broadway. Man see Broadway as the only theatre district. But many great woks have and still do emerge from the smaller off-broadway and off-off-broadway shows. The Astor Theatre is smaller than the broadway theatres and has an intimacy as a result.

So many miss that aspect of New York in favor of the mega-productions.