• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

East Ski vs. West Ski

susan1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for Spring Break Ski weeks for 2009, and see LOTS of availability for East ski weeks, but nothing available for skiing in the west. Is there a distinct advantage to west ski weeks over those in the east, to the point that there would be nothing available in the west?

My kids are relatively "new" snowboarders; only been 3 times. Are there some nice resorts in the east that have some good "beginner" (but not "baby") slopes?

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for Spring Break Ski weeks for 2009, and see LOTS of availability for East ski weeks, but nothing available for skiing in the west. Is there a distinct advantage to west ski weeks over those in the east, to the point that there would be nothing available in the west?
Yes, out west the mountains are bigger, the trails are longer, the snow lasts longer into the spring, and the lift lines are shorter. Many people buy ski weeks to use themselves, and they aren't deposited into the exchange companies. The ones that are deposited are in high demand.
My kids are relatively "new" snowboarders; only been 3 times. Are there some nice resorts in the east that have some good "beginner" (but not "baby") slopes?

I used to like Killington, but after I went skiing in Colorado for the first time, I never went to a ski resort in the Central or Eastern US for anything other than a weekend trip. I'm not a snowboarder, though.

Reaction score
how about Smugglers notch?

don't know when your Spring Break is, but Smugglers Notch would be worth considering if you can avoid Presidents Week.
Its great for kids and teens.
My son (age 7) started boarding properly this year and went from beginner to intermediate in 2 weeks - lots of fresh snow made for ideal conditions, though my heart was in my mouth watching him coming down the (black diamond!) lift line with his sister!

He loves the terrain parks - they have a 'beginner' park with little tiny jumps and rails and a mini 1/2 pipe, then an intermediate park and then expert parks and the super pipe (which he went through in his camp lesson).
All the parks usually seem to be up and running by the end of January.
A few days of lessons or camp to get to know the slopes and they'll be good to go on their own.

it may be easier to get in to Smuggs using RCI points rather than weeks though, if thats a consideration for you

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are referring to the traditional March Spring Break, then you may find no snow out east. The resorts in the ski areas may have a lot of availability because it may be "mud time" when the snow melts and (so we've been told) mud is all over the place.

As EAM pointed out, you'll likely have snow out west at this time.

helenbarnett1963 mentioned President's week. That is the traditional MA ski week. NH takes the next week. Half the people go skiing, the other half go to Disney in Orlando. :)

HTH

susan1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Although I would like to try Smuggs . . . there are none available with my trader, at least not right now. I do only do "weeks", so that might make it even harder.

I'm thinking about Vacation Village at the Birkshires, since it is Gold Crown, and is a 2 bedroom; lots of good reviews, and we've never been to MA. All those sound like good reasons to me. :)

Our Spring Break is March 14-18. Still good snow at that time?

Jolson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Susan1738,
I stayed at Vacation Village in the Berkshires back a couple of years ago and had a good time. The units are fairly nice and Jiminy Peak is directly across the street from this resort (with a shuttle I believe available). I believe the Wyndham Bentley Brook resorts (RCI #'s 4313 & 7819) are actually at the foot of the mountain so that would be more convenient if you are skiing the whole time.

I believe the link to Jiminy peak is here http://www.jiminypeak.com/. It's not a huge mountain but my kids did enjoy it as they were beginner/intermediate range skiers at the time. I believe they do make a lot of snow so most years there would be skiing up through the end of March but after that it would be a crap shoot.

Good luck.

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is you would find colder temperatures and more snow in Vermont or New Hampshire at that time.

It seems you do RCI and weeks. What about Village of Loon Mountain Condos (Lincoln, NH) where you are right at the Loon slopes, or Mountainside Resort at Stowe in Vermont?

Just some ideas. Maybe someone with more knowledge of ski and snow conditions in the Berkshires in March will chime in.

:)

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
March is much less reliable in mid-March than Vermont or New Hampshire. The west is much more reliable than either. I'd put in an ongoing search for Colorado and Utah for March, check online frequently, and wait a few months. March in New England is a relatively easy trade as ski weeks go.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If I were counting on a ski vacation in mid-March, I definitely wouldn't plan on the Berkshires. You would likely do fine this year, but the track record over the past six years hasn't been good for March skiing.

I'm with those who would suggest you try to figure out a way to get to the Rockies or be prepared for the possibility of a non-skiing week.

susan1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!

You guys are so helpful!! I knew I could count on ya'll!! Thanks for the advice!

Hadn't even thought of Utah! We haven't been there yet either!! Thanks for that idea!! :cheer:

susan1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about Canada?

We all have our passports, so how about Canada in mid-March?

I've read the reviews for Destinations at Panorama Resort, and it looks pretty good. Any tuggers have an opinion on this one?

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Other West options

You might consider Meadow Lakes in Montana which is very near to Whitefish Mt (formerly Big Mt.) Another option is Mt. Bachelor in Oregon and you could stay at Eagle Crest in Redmond which is about a 45 minute drive. These resorts are outside the "within 5 mile range" that RCI has as a search option but you would have a good chance of snagging one.

We have been western spring skiers for years and have been there later in the season than your time frame. We have always had decent snow and wonderful sunny weather for the most part.

alvin

Reaction score
Western resorts are much more desirable with their world class combination of size, terrain, snow, weather and scenery. The east has some great resorts too - but none of those factors (especially the weather) are as reliable as out west.

It would be extremely rare for any of the big resorts in upstate NY, VT, NH, ME or Canada to NOT be open through the end of march. killington (central VT) sometimes stays open into june. Keep in mind the closer you are to Boston or NYC, the more crowded the slopes will be during the weekend. Also, Mad River Glen in VT doesn't welcome snowboarders (along with Deer Valley and Alta in Utah).

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Mountain View at Crown Ridge
I didn't catch who you are trading with but if it is RCI you might be able to get Sweetwater Lodge at Park City. And if you have not deposited yet I bet you could get the same place through Trading Places. We went there this Christmas and it a great location...3 min walk to the slopes. the place is not fancy...but we were there to ski.
good luck

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The west is better by far. However I like Sugar mountain in North Carolina for east coast skiing and they have good snow right now and a terrain park. Click on www.skisugar.com to see current conditions. Blue Ridge Village, Chetola, and Sugar mountain condos are all good rci trades. As I said the west is a lot better skiing than anywhere in the east, but if you can't find any trades for spring break in the west, you would have a great time in North Carolina.

susan1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much!

I'm going to keep looking, but I'm going to keep it focussed on the West and hope something within a few miles of skiing comes up. :D Thanks for the info!!

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Whistler will work!

There will always be skiing at Whistler in March and even into April. If you are trading with RCI you will have a decent choice of resorts since Raintree or the old Whiski Jack are all RCI.

Dottie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a "live-in" grandson with us for a few years and had to follow the Florida school calendar which usually meant skiing the week prior to Christmas, Christmas week or the end of March and 1st week in April. Every year we worried. Every year we found excellent snow out west. We did Utah and Colorada. There are never guarantees but it usually works out.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
east vs west

IMHO -

"if you ski the east, you ski the least, ski the west and you ski the best" !!!

I live on the east coast, skiied it a lot in my 20s, went west, and have never been back to the east. fly west every year, usually somewhere different.