• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

help with points vs deed

jglidden

Reaction score
I was recently contacted by my home resort and invited to an "owner update" meeting. We'll get one comped night and have to attend an owner update meeting the next morning. My unit is a deeded week and I own it outright with all fees paid up to date. I expect some sort of sales pitch. Any comments on what to expect. 2 or 3 years ago I was offered a points system if I sold or traded my deeded unit. I held and kept what I had. Most exchange companies deal in points now not exchange of weeks. Please give me a quick lesson on why I should or shouldn't switch to points if this is their offer. I know there will be some proposal to me. I just want to be ready and understand what's in it for me.

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
What resort/resort group are you specifically asking about? ...some are far worse than others, although anything retail is overpriced.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Not Just Switching To Points, But Also Paying Big Bux.

Please give me a quick lesson on why I should or shouldn't switch to points if this is their offer.
It's more likely to be laying out big bux for some points-style product the timeshare company is selling for major money than simply switching to points.

One of the timeshare companies -- DRI -- tries to get deeded unit owners to give up their timeshare deeds, plus major money, to switch to a point-based timeshare exchange club.

No thanks. I'll keep my regular non-club & non-points (resale) deeds at my owner-controlled DRI-affiliated timeshares, & DRI can keep its points & its club.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

jglidden

Reaction score
What resort/resort group are you specifically asking about? ...some are far worse than others, although anything retail is overpriced.

My exchange company has been Interval since I purchased the unit, yet the resort (seamist) is now affiliated with RCI. I'm looking for some basic info on why I should or shouldn't listen to the offer to sell them or trade them my deeded week if it is made. What kind of value should I be looking for? I don't want to get ripped off yet I don't want to miss out on a chance to improve my travel options. I will outright own the unit (week) in a couple more months and then ony be obligated to the maintenance and exchange fees. Should I sell them the deed if it's offered? will they even offer? or are they just trying to sell me a points package? thanks

jglidden

Reaction score
It's more likely to be laying out big bux for some points-style product the timeshare company is selling for major money than simply switching to points.

One of the timeshare companies -- DRI -- tries to get deeded unit owners to give up their timeshare deeds, plus major money, to switch to a point-based timeshare exchange club.

No thanks. I'll keep my regular non-club & non-points (resale) deeds at my owner-controlled DRI-affiliated timeshares, & DRI can keep its points & its club.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

What typically is the pitch? What possible benefit would there be to me? I want to be knowledgeable going into the meeting. Are there any pluses for me to sell or trade to a point system or vacation club?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Sea Mist in Mashpee? No reason to convert to points. It's a VRI managed resort. If you have a prime summer week it will probably be more valuable in RCI weeks than points. If its off season or shoulder season it is probably more valuable in II. Either way no reason to pay $1995-$3995 for something that won't enhance what you have.

wbatson

Reaction score
VRI Seamist Resort in Mashpee

I too have been contacted NUMEROUS times to attend an owners meeting about Seamist. Today I called back to get some more information. Their claim was about informing owners of all the changes in the timeshare market, how the economy has affected timeshares, and the recent changes with RCI. I was told they could not just send out information, because it was so much information, they wanted to sit down with small groups of owners and lay out all of the information, 4 to 5 owners at a time. They told me "we want to show you how to get the vacation you want everytime". I'm guessing a sales pitch but who knows.

As far as my individual week, I own a totally off-season week (week #4). I bought it 25 years ago on an impulse. I am still an RCI member. I have to say, back in the days of "last minute" exchanges, we did very well with it. Nowadays I don't do so well with it. Will the new RCI changes be good for me or worse? At this point, I am very likely going to try and sell or give away my week.