• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Brand new to this and some questions

kt_mom

Reaction score
My husband I just recently purchased into DVC. That was a pretty easy decision since we go each year and we like the more deluxe resorts. We figure we will break even in just a few years and then we will be getting our room for the cost of our maintenance fees.

We had never though about a TS before and after going through the process I realized that we might benefit from looking into one for our other trips.

We like to take two vacations a year. Once Disney and one to the beach. Now we normally do Myrtle Beach but we are interested in going back to Mexico at some point or trying beaches in Florida or even other Carribean vacations. Myrtle beach is in driving distance for us and we would probably only want to do something like Mexico or the Carribean once every few years or something.

Our Disney trip will usually be in the October-December time frame leaving our beach trip to be sometime in the summer when the kids are out of school. But occasionally we might want to switch it up.

We also have family in the northern va area that we visit several times a year so being able to book weekends there would be nice too, but not a requirement.

Right now we are a family of 4 but may have another at a later date. Occasionally we like to travel with family or friends, but again, not a requirement.

I'm not sure what kind of TS would be beneficial for us, if any. I don't know much about any of them, only the DVC that we purchased. I'm really just starting my research.

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Sheraton Broadway Plantation in Myrtle Beach would be a good match for you. It is a Starwood resort, so you would have priority to trade into their Orlando resorts: Sheraton Vistana Villages and Sheraton Vistana Resort, and also their new Cancun Resort: Westin Lagunamar.

You can buy a 2 bdm. at this resort on the resale market for $500 or less and the maintenance fee is about $880 for a dedicated 2 bdm. or $1,110 for a 2 bdm. lock-off. The lock-off would give you two deposits with Iterval.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We like to take two vacations a year. Once Disney and one to the beach. Now we normally do Myrtle Beach but we are interested in going back to Mexico at some point or trying beaches in Florida or even other Carribean vacations. Myrtle beach is in driving distance for us and we would probably only want to do something like Mexico or the Carribean once every few years or something.
We also have family in the northern va area that we visit several times a year so being able to book weekends there would be nice too, but not a requirement.
I'm not sure what kind of TS would be beneficial for us, if any. I don't know much about any of them, only the DVC that we purchased. I'm really just starting my research. Thanks!

You sound like prefer higher-end properties, so these are the major systems which have nicer resorts :
1) Marriott : most of beach resorts are true beach front. They have one in myrtle beach and many more in hilton head island. several in caribbean and europe and asia. Marriott has the most resorts among hotel brand TS. Buy a resale lock-off unit so you can have two exchanges. Marriott owners get 21 days priority for other Marriott deposits. 3 priority days during flexchange period (check-in is within 59 days).

2) Hilton : it is a pure point system, you can do short stays (minimum 3 nights) and can convert your TS points into HHonors (hotel) points and stay at any Hilton brand hotels worldwide. Hilton use RCI as a exchange co. and Hilton owners are getting first picks (tiger trader). Easily get exchanges to DVC even for holiday weeks.

3) Starwood : they have resorts in Bahamas, ST.John, myrtle beach, CA, Cancun, AZ, Hawaii (Maui and Kauai), FL. Some starwood resorts are dual affiliated with RCI and II. Starwood owners get priority for starwood exchanges in II.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to this website. This is the place to research information and to receive information about timeshare.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Research, rent, research some more, and rent again. And where ever you rent, drive around and visit (even just walking around the common areas) of the resorts near where you are staying. TALK to every owner you can find at the pool, elevator, computer area, snack bar - you have a base reference point by just being physically in the same place as they are.

Avoid all sales presentations as these sales people are nothing more than well dressed and better "closers" than a car salesman (most people need a car, very few people actually NEED a TS). Most only stay at a TS because they won a free vacation (sales award), are part of a team doing a special "sales party", or are without real housing (yes, I know of multiple occurances of that one).

The prior posters have outline some of the major upscale chains. Having just brought DVC (hopefully without a loan payment), you will carefully watch you accuring MF charges. They go up every year. If you are only going 1 out of 4 years to a place, a vacation package which includes airfare might make better financial sense.

Welcome to TUG!

edgar

Reaction score
Sheraton Broadway Plantation in Myrtle Beach would be a good match for you. It is a Starwood resort, so you would have priority to trade into their Orlando resorts: Sheraton Vistana Villages and Sheraton Vistana Resort, and also their new Cancun Resort: Westin Lagunamar.

You can buy a 2 bdm. at this resort on the resale market for $500 or less and the maintenance fee is about $880 for a dedicated 2 bdm. or $1,110 for a 2 bdm. lock-off. The lock-off would give you two deposits with Iterval.

Thank you, by the way, i'm a newbie and pleased to join the forum.:D