• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Prime meats at Costco

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
All of our meats come from Costco, unless I'm picking one up on the way to work for supper, last minute. Our Costco now sells Waigu Beef and I want to try it, but it is extremely expensive. I believe it is $59.99 per kg. Until then, the ribeyes are always great and if its a weekend at the cabin or a dinner party, I'll buy an entire loin and cut it myself.

Wagyu beef in my opinion is nowhere near what it's cracked up to be. I've tried it once before and found it to be bland and flabby. Looking into how the cows were reared explained why, they're typically raised in barns with no access to outdoor pasture and fed on an unnatural diet of grain. It's the bovine equivalent of a battery hen. The best tasting beef is from a cow that has led it's whole life roaming outside on pasture and eating grass and the cuts with the best flavour are those muscles that work a bit harder. I'll always have a rare flat iron over a fillet any day.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the grill smoking hot and seared both sides for like 5 minutes each, then a few more minutes on each side for the more well done steak I wanted to make for my wife.

It won't be something to buy every day, just for special occasions but I'll look forward to the next time to see if its consistently as good because again I've eaten at many of the finest good steak houses, at least in my area and I ended up paying $45+ per person and this steak for $20 per person was just as good.

Honestly if I can make something as good as a restaurant I would never go out because I love enjoy top quality at a lower price but usually you can't duplicate a fine restaurants meals but in this case I can say it did and we saved a good $100 so it something we'll look to do again for the next special occasion.

Thank you! Yummmmm

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe, that prime steak will taste even better when grilled in Maui.

This would be true. I didn't look or notice while there last month if the Maui Costco had prime beef but will the next time. My 14 yr old son is finally a steak eater so I could buy the Costco bulk packs and not worry about wasting it.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
This discussion inspired me to buy some Costco prime steaks for tonight's dinner. They were very good and so tender! We did a simple grill, too, and they were thick enough to get a great charred outside while still being rare to medium rare inside. We probably won't buy them every time we want steak, but they are worth the price for a special dinner.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
And all this talk of beef inspired me to do a rib roast (Angus choice) on the BGE!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 45

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did our bi-weekly Costco run on Saturday and bought two varieties of fresh fish and packaged pork tenderloin. Their fish selection/product/pricing is just as good as their meats. I just wish Costco sold it's meat in smaller portions. As empty nesters with two fridges instead of a freezer, we just can't store the large package of ribs I wanted to buy without cutting it into smaller portions and repackaging. No complaints though despite a few recalls on meats this year. Costco's meats and fish are great value.

dlca1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge lifetime costco fan, but only recently discovered their business costco stores. Passing it along in case others didnt know they exist.

It looks like it is targeted for busineses and restaurants. They sell restaurant supplies, ingredients, snacks. We were in a rush, but they had a HUGE snack, produce and meat section. Looked like you could get any cut of meat you would want (including beef ribs). I didn't check to see if it was prime

For those in Bay Area, CA, this one was on Hayward

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well let me tell you they were absolutely fantastic rib-eye steaks. I've been to my share of high-end steak houses and this was as good or better than any of them. Definitely high end price at $18.99/lb but for a special occasion it was well worth it.

I had heard about the quality of Costco meats more than 10 years ago. About 4 years ago we stopped by a Costco on the way to a week long timeshare and decided to live a little by buying some Prime Beef Steaks. Since then, that is about all we buy. A 6 oz. Prime Beef steak is so rich and with noticeably better flavor, it is as satisfying as a 12 oz. Choice steak; that significantly improves the price comparison. The 2" thick cut of the steaks is critical to successful grilling as it allows a nice char at medium heat without overcooking the center. You just cannot get that with a 3/4" supermarket cut.

More than once I have seen Prime steaks packaged as Choice steaks (with the $8/lb. lower price) at Costco. The visual difference between a Choice steak and a Prime steak should be obvious by the larger concentration of flecks of fat in the Prime steak. When shopping for Prime steaks at Costco, compare a package of Choice steaks to the package of Prime steaks side-by-side; if you can't see a difference in the intramuscular fat, buy the Choice steaks.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I'm a huge lifetime costco fan, but only recently discovered their business costco stores. Passing it along in case others didnt know they exist.

It looks like it is targeted for busineses and restaurants. They sell restaurant supplies, ingredients, snacks. We were in a rush, but they had a HUGE snack, produce and meat section. Looked like you could get any cut of meat you would want (including beef ribs). I didn't check to see if it was prime

From what I've seen on the online business meat sales, they are the lesser cuts (choice, select). Select is, well, "select.":eek:

Costco business beef

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Those are called Costco Business Centers. They have them in and near many larger cities. They sell things slightly different than the local warehouses, since they are targeted toward businesses that need and use business-packaged items. They also deliver, with a minimum order. (I think it's $500.) If you own a business that needs the things they sell, it's usually easier to shop there than fight the crowds at your local warehouse.

Dave

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only problem with that is it is packed with hormones and anti biotics

Even if it is all that stuff gets denatured in the cooking process.
Yet the number of people in the USA with autoimmune diseases and allergies keeps increasing.
The number of antibiotic resistant bacteria and deaths from antibiotic resistant bacteria keep increasing.

The CDC think this is a bad thing.
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/09/drug-resistant-infections/#.VAU-5vldWbM

The FDA wants farmers to 'voluntarily' give up antibiotic use.
http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm378100.htm

By continuing to buy this product you continue to support the farming that creates this product. By buying hormone and antibiotic free meats you are being the change that says antibiotics are not for fattening up my meats but for saving my life.

Far better for you and the planet to eat 6 oz of hormone and antibiotic free steak (and grass fed, not gummie bear* fed) than 16 oz of conventional meat.

* http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/23/us-usa-cattle-candy-idUSBRE88M05N20120923

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yet the number of people in the USA with autoimmune diseases and allergies keeps increasing.
The number of antibiotic resistant bacteria and deaths from antibiotic resistant bacteria keep increasing.

I'll agree with you that the antibiotic resistance argument is a good one which is very complex and multifactorial. For instance, there are constant arguments against the prophylactic uses of antibiotics. However, if surgeons fail to use them prophylactically prior to surgery that's considered non standard of care and can expose surgeons to some potentially serious lawsuits.

However, when it comes to hormones and antibiotics in meats causing any harm to the person ingesting said meat once it's cooked, I don't believe that at all.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Wagyu beef in my opinion is nowhere near what it's cracked up to be. I've tried it once before and found it to be bland and flabby.

There are ALL SORTS of "wagyu" available.

First of all, Wagyu translates directly to "Japan Cow." But there is no guarantee that meat came from Japan, or it was raised the way the Japanese raised it, or that it was even produced in the same hemisphere.

I've had the real deal. Often. There is no describing how tender it is. You don't need a knife. You don't need a fork. You don't need a chopstick or even teeth. I can cut real Kobe beef with my thumb.

And there are people in Japan who want NOTHING to do with it and demand real Nebraska corn-fed USDA prime. Why? Better beef flavor.

Japanese beef is more tender. American beef has more flavor. Frankly, I like our beef better. USDA Prime. I remember when it was $12.99 at Costco. But be sure to look at the marbling. You can spot the really good stuff from the merely "good" beef with a little effort.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
This would be true. I didn't look or notice while there last month if the Maui Costco had prime beef but will the next time. My 14 yr old son is finally a steak eater so I could buy the Costco bulk packs and not worry about wasting it.

It would be a crime to go to Hawaii and not grill up a Big Island grass fed rib eye if you haven't already tried one.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It would be a crime to go to Hawaii and not grill up a Big Island grass fed rib eye if you haven't already tried one.

+1

I preferred Maui Beef but now that's not available in the markets (other than one location, or so I'm told) since if became popular with the restaurants.

Sent from my iPad

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Many people don't know this and I've seen it as a question on Jeopardy multiple times, but the largest cattle ranch in the US is Parker Ranch on the Big Island. It's a pretty cool place to visit with rolling green hills and real cowboys riding around. It really feels like your in the middle of Texas.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
the largest cattle ranch in the US is Parker Ranch on the Big Island. It's a pretty cool place to visit with rolling green hills and real cowboys riding around. It really feels like your in the middle of Texas.

I recall driving through the Parker ranch and seeing a bunch of VERY contented steers absolutely belly deep in the lushest grass I've ever seen- and we live in 'cow country.' I like 'em grass fed, but still 'finished' on grain for the fat marbling.

Jim

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many people don't know this and I've seen it as a question on Jeopardy multiple times, but the largest cattle ranch in the US is Parker Ranch on the Big Island. It's a pretty cool place to visit with rolling green hills and real cowboys riding around. It really feels like your in the middle of Texas.

If you're into fresh fruit and veggies, Parker Ranch also has the best Hawaiian farmer's market IMO. I think it's on Wednesdays.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Restaurant costs

This is true of low and moderate priced entrees. Three to four times the cost n but often high cost items are two to three.
I look at Costco Prime then go to the choice and try to find the closest appearing choice meat to the prime. Never have purchased but will next time and do a taste comparison and cook one of each.
I had a couple thousand dollar fancy grill in AZ but bought a small $100 portable in CA which uses infrared cooking. The meats do not flare up and the juice stays in better. Best barbecue since my Japanese big green hibachi cracked twenty yeays ago.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We love to buy the whole ny strip sirloin and have them cut it into 2" thick steaks. We also enjoy their briskets.

Good to know BJ does this. Our Costco will not custom cut any meat from the packages they sell, unfortunately.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
An interesting article on pesticide allergies.
http://time.com/3263438/pesticides-allergic-reactions/

Are you also against childhood vaccines because they can lead to allergic reactions or even possibly autism although that 1998 study was later found to be a complete fraud?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy

Now we're seeing a resurgence of once pretty much eradicated diseases like the measles and mumps that can and have killed children because there are so many parents that refuse to vaccinate their children.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/measles/a/measles-outbreaks.htm

Insects are a great vector for many diseases. I'll take those nice and clean pesticide treated fruits and vegetables any day.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you also against childhood vaccines because they can lead to allergic reactions or even possibly autism although that 1998 study was later found to be a complete fraud?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy

Now we're seeing a resurgence of once pretty much eradicated diseases like the measles and mumps that can and have killed children because there are so many parents that refuse to vaccinate their children.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/measles/a/measles-outbreaks.htm

Insects are a great vector for many diseases. I'll take those nice and clean pesticide treated fruits and vegetables any day.
WOW. THAT'S A LEAP FROM THE FOOD SYSTEM.

But since you asked I and my kids are vaccinated.

Andrew Wakefield had been banned as a doctor and now makes a living on the US quack speaking circuit.

I think laws forcing kids to get flu vaccines with debatable efficacy and other less Life threatening illnesses are wrong though.

Those pesticides are killing the bees that pollinate the fruit and veg. Way to go destroy the ecosystem to take out a minor vector.

If we are quoting reads try an epidemic of absence.

Last edited: