• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Myrtle Beach - MOW Encore Package & Presentation Details

lejo2008

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in Myrtle Beach MOW last week in a Garden View Room...which we enjoyed ...we are current Weeks owners and had traded through Interval.

We attended the the Time Share Presentation -

Offerings were as follows depending on the time you attended:
GoVideo Camera
Amazon Kindle HD
15,000 Pts
$100-120? Resort Credit
add-in Buffet Breakfast for 2 at Hotel.

Their tactic was to sell us on 1500 points ($12 at point) every year with the idea that we could have 3000 at EOY to book MOW. {The bonus was an extra 1500 if we bought there and then) Since we currently own a week at EOY Grand Vista - currently. They mentioned that the rate per point would be going up in September. It was mentioned that we would be saving so much money since the maintenance fees with the other $175. would cover
much of our our current Interval costs. [Sure - at $18,000 + $800 a year more saves me a lot of money !) :doh:

After refusing (they were NOT very happy:bawl:) Since we spent a lot of time asking questions ....

They brought in their 3rd crew with the Encore Package -
We DID Purchase this - 6 Days/5 Nights + 75,000 Reward Points - $1,349.
Good from August 19th - June 9th with Exception major holidays.

I have a couple more days to hold or cancel this -

QUESTION: Does this package have VALUE ? We do want to come back to MOW. We are interested in ONLY last 2 weeks in August of 2015 0r 2016. Garden View is acceptable to us. The shorten week is also acceptable to us.
We do NOT want 7 days and trading into MOW we are not willing to chance that again.

Opinions ? Thoughts on this? Is this of value or should I cancel ?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in Myrtle Beach MOW last week in a Garden View Room...which we enjoyed ...we are current Weeks owners and had traded through Interval.

GoVideo Camera
Amazon Kindle HD
15,000 Pts
$100-120? Resort Credit

Their tactic was to sell us on 1500 points ($12 at point) every year with the idea that we could have 3000 at EOY to book MOW. {The bonus was an extra 1500 if we bought there and then) Since we currently own a week at EOY Grand Vista - currently. They mentioned that the rate per point would be going up in September. It was mentioned that we would be saving so much money since the maintenance fees with the other $175. would cover
much of our our current Interval costs. [Sure - at $18,000 + $800 a year more saves me a lot of money !) :doh:

After refusing (they were NOT very happy:bawl:) Since we spent a lot of time asking questions ....

QUESTION: Does this package have VALUE ? We do want to come back to MOW. We are interested in ONLY last 2 weeks in August of 2015 0r 2016. Garden View is acceptable to us. The shorten week is also acceptable to us.
We do NOT want 7 days and trading into MOW we are not willing to chance that again.

What kind of room do you get with the encore package? If 2 bdrm I'd say it's a good deal considering the 75000 points.

lejo2008

TUG Member
Reaction score
All rooms at Myrtle Beach are 2 Bedroom - so yes -

But what are the points really worth ? and what are the chances that they can actually book a room at the week I desire. Do they have some secret inventory ....

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

GoVideo Camera
Amazon Kindle HD
15,000 Pts
$100-120? Resort Credit

This is a good value. My only question is this: is it good only August 19, 2014 through June 9, 2015? If so, it does not cover the period you want to go there. Usually the Encore packages have a shelf life of a year or so to use. If it covers your dates, I would take it. The MR points alone are worth at least a penny a point (well over half of what you are paying for the whole Encore package) and much more if used for travel packages.

lejo2008

TUG Member
Reaction score
The agreement Expires 8-26-2016 - so I do have the opportunity to use it in 2016.

I am still trying to determine the value of the points - we do use the points often for 1-2 day stays .....

I'm just not comfortable that my request for a room at MOW would be available as it is always difficult to trade into ..What inventory are they going to be grabbing from ? Since it is not a full week.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
How early can you book? Why don't you see if August 2015 is available now?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
How early can you book? Why don't you see if August 2015 is available now?

+1. Start here. Because if Marriott cannot guarantee a reservation at the time you want to go, you're done.

The Encore Package is not a bad deal economically, but not a great one, either. I would value the Marriott points at $0.008, or about $600. The five nights are probably worth $150 each, so the benefits match the $1349 cost.

The problem is that you will have to sit through another high pressure presentation. Why should you spend a vacation day putting up with the sales pitch. You're paying for that day. If it were me, I would pass, i.e. rescind the purchase of the Encore Package. My leisure time is too valuable.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

The key here is availability...!!!! Inventory for the encore program is "subject to availability". It is a SEPARATE pool from that which is available on marriott.com. Tey have a special number listed on the sales sheet for the Encore package. I would call this number, check on your ressie. If avaiable, keep the package, if not rescind.

I did not that realize you can rescind the Encore package. It isn't a timeshare deeded interest, so may not be subject to the rescind rules...

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I did not that realize you can rescind the Encore package. It isn't a timeshare deeded interest, so may not be subject to the rescind rules...

I have been given rescission rights to Encore packages from both Marriott and Starwood in the pas few years. We actually did rescind the Starwood one.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
The Encore Package is not a bad deal economically, but not a great one, either. I would value the Marriott points at $0.008, or about $600. The five nights are probably worth $150 each, so the benefits match the $1349 cost.
The points may be worth what you say for 1-2 night hotel stays, but are worth WAY more than that in travel packages. It all depends on how you will use them. And a 2BR at MOW is worth only $150/night? Owners can rent them out at far more than that, except maybe in the depths of winter. You usually pay $75-100 for a night in a no frills hotel room at a Super 8.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All rooms at Myrtle Beach are 2 Bedroom - so yes -

But what are the points really worth ? and what are the chances that they can actually book a room at the week I desire. Do they have some secret inventory ....

I thought it might be at the hotel next door.

KenA

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did an Encore at the Oceana Palms. It seemed to be a good value, but in our case, depended on when you traveled.

I tried to book 3X but was told there was no availability. We ended up using it just before the 18 month expiration in June (during off season in Florida). It only saved us a few hundred dollars off what I could have gotten on Marriott website because of the time of year we booked.

If you do not use it during the period on the contract, you lose your money.

SWichma

Reaction score
The agreement Expires 8-26-2016 - so I do have the opportunity to use it in 2016.

I am still trying to determine the value of the points - we do use the points often for 1-2 day stays .....

I'm just not comfortable that my request for a room at MOW would be available as it is always difficult to trade into ..What inventory are they going to be grabbing from ? Since it is not a full week.

We had a encore package at MOW and it worked out great. We told them we could only come on our kids spring break, which was slightly out the booking window they gave us for 7 nights. When we bought it they told us it would not be a problem and it wasn't they just told us to call the sales office and let them help us book it. We got a great ocean side room. As I understand it Marriott has kept weeks for themselves as a developer for marketing purposes that it uses for these packages. They also use them to offer regular bookings on Marriott.com. We got 7 nights at spring break, a free cruise for two (which we just used for an 8 day cruise to the southern Caribbean ) and 50,000 Marriott rewards points for $2,000. We thought it was a decent value and they delivered on their end. They told us you often get pretty good room views because they want you to buy and of course they want to think you need more points. That turned out to be true in our cause. We didn't buy we had finished replacing our kitchen and told them we were out of discretionary money for a while. They didn't pressure very much since we told them that when we first sat down.