• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A different type of question (hopefully)...[Owner Updates]

Kidpolska

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have owned now for just about a year and are getting ready to take our FIRST Trip (Waikiki Beach Walk). Is there anything that I need to know/watch out for when arriving at the resort (e.g. I don't wanna get suckered into sitting through some sales/upgrade presentation)...since I bought resale I'm assuming they are gonna try to hit me with something (or maybe I'm just being paranoid). Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
They try to get everyone - simply say "no thank you," firmly, and don't debate it - they have a response for every argument.

Then unplug the phones in your unit so they can't call you - your friends and family will call your cell phones anyway. If they come to the door, don't let them in - seriously.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are not being paranoid. You will almost certainly be invited to an "owner update" which is not an owner update, but a sales pitch. Wyndham has recently changed from the 2.5 hour one on one grind to more of a team approach. They do a pitch with a group - sometimes with a little entertainment thrown in - before breaking into individual one on one groups where they dissect your ownership and help you understand the flaws with it and the clear and obvious remedy (buy more points).

My recommendation - vacation time is MORE valuable than any trinket or gift card they offer. Usually the invitation occurs when you are shuttled over to get your parking pass and/or discount books.

I just got back from a trip to Tennessee - we went to Wyndham Smoky Mountains for 3 nights, then Great Smokies Lodge for 4 (well, only stayed 3 of the 4 nights, but that's another story). While at Smoky Mountains, we saw a group of "prospects" in the grinder the day we checked out - which would probably have been the first day of a week stay for most of the "marks" - and it was a group show, and they were bringing some birds in with a couple of guides from one of the local attractions in the area for entertainment. We got a private show from them ahead of time without paying the price of listening to sales blather for an hour and a half.

My advice - just say no. As often as necessary to get the message across.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
They try to get everyone - simply say "no thank you," firmly, and don't debate it - they have a response for every argument.

Then unplug the phones in your unit so they can't call you - your friends and family will call your cell phones anyway. If they come to the door, don't let them in - seriously.

Also agree with Denise. One of the more recent "tricks" is to do a "check-in survey" for 15 minutes the next morning. Which is a preamble to a sales pitch.

My guess is it's only a matter of time until they start "forgetting" to stock an important sundry so that they have a reason to bring something to you. "Oh, and by the way, I just have this short survey I need to..."

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Also agree with Denise. One of the more recent "tricks" is to do a "check-in survey" for 15 minutes the next morning. Which is a preamble to a sales pitch.

My guess is it's only a matter of time until they start "forgetting" to stock an important sundry so that they have a reason to bring something to you. "Oh, and by the way, I just have this short survey I need to..."

Yes, my favorite is when they want to "come by for the RCI survey so they can keep their gold crown status".

1. I'm not there on an RCI exchange.
2. If I have a problem with check in, I'm going to the front desk or the manager.
3. How can I possibly respond to a survey accurately when I've been at the resort less than 12 hours.

Just be polite but firm with the "no". Whatever they're giving you is likely not worth the lost time and angst. If they're holding your parking pass hostage, just walk away; they're not going to tow your car. If there are other people in the parking pass desk area, just start talking loudly about resale and ebay - that will get you out of there very quickly.

There's no way to "get suckered into" it, unless you allow it.

Last edited:

Southpaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not timeshare oriented, but it may be worth trying in this case.

When I was in Jamaica, the locals hounded the tourists outside the hotel. On the first day, my husband (then boyfriend) pretended we were German and didn't speak English. They left us alone for the entire trip! We even saw some locals giving a signal to others who started to approach us not to bother with us! It was great.

I was so impressed that I married him!

Last edited:

Ballen0351

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess it's hit or miss or I've been black listed. In the last 2 years 4 different resorts 3 different states and have not even been asked. Our last trip I even asked for an owner update because I had questions and was told they didn't have any time free to meet and if I had question I could call corporate office. I'm kinda sad really I liked doing them.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

This is what they did in Nashville last year. My son in law made an appointment for a presentation then just never showed up.

Last edited:

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda sad really I liked doing them.

What is it that you miss about the updates? Just curious as there seem to be so few people who enjoy them.

Ballen0351

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is it that you miss about the updates? Just curious as there seem to be so few people who enjoy them.

I've gotten some great info on the areas I'm in from sales staff. They are local and usually friendly. I let them think I'm interested in buying and then when I'm doing I take my free stuff and leave and go hit up the local spots. Plus I've never gone for less then 150 bucks I've gotten 175 bucks at national harbor and I've never had a meeting last more then an hour. I schedule it 1st thing in the morning in the first full day I'm there. Then it's over and 175 bucks an hour is pretty good to me.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just remember IF you agree to any type of meeting, it gives the sales staff PERMISSION to open your ownership records. The less they know, the better off you are - as they add NOTES from their discussion with you for the NEXT sales meeting. Very complete notes -- helps them to match a sales person and pitch to get you to buy.

Whoozr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (Bonnet Creek, Kingsgate, Ocean Blvd), Twin Rivers
Glutten for punishment

I think every time I've had a reservation at Wyndham with the exception of 1 time, I've attended an owner’s update. The more you say no the more persistent they become. I was just at Governors Green over the weekend and I once again foolishly signed up with no intention of attending. Instead of going to the meeting I went shopping instead. While I was out someone turned the ringer back on to the phone and ten minutes after returning someone called and one of the little people picked up the phone. I agreed to come over for an hour to collect my dinner coupons and gift card. They hooked me up with one of the greenest sales people they had. I couldn’t even be mean; she had only been on the job for 1 month. I wasn't so nice to the next guy but I did have a few good laughs. I asked was I part of a training course because there were several new people sitting at the next table observing and taking notes.

I did notice that the stack of papers was getting thicker. I asked about that but I didn’t get a clear answer. I also asked when were they going to block me from attending and they stated they don't do that. In the past 2 years I have been to at least 8 owner's updates, 7 in Williamsburg alone. They know my face and name and I usually get stuck with either the new people or the so called heavy hitters. What's an hour out of my day, it's either laughing at the sales staff or hanging with Rugrats. I'll take the money.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
If you need an excuse to get out of a pitch (you have a hard time saying "no") my experience is that these work:
- I'm married and my spouse can't attend (he's busy, not on vacation with me, refuses to attend)
- I don't have daycare/ don't want to put my kid in daycare on vacation
- I'm too busy. I have all these fun plans already arranged, sorry.
- I'll think about it and get back to you

I've never gone to an owners update or sales presentation. Ever.

Jst me

Reaction score
Resale owner

I have gone to several "pitches" and as soon as they know I'm resale they make me feel second class! They even lied to me and told me if I bought more points my resale points wouldn't be considered resale and I would be VIP. Big Lie. I'm not going to anymore. Going to TN this Saturday and you have given me the positive feedback to stay strong, thanks. Anita

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I have gone to several "pitches" and as soon as they know I'm resale they make me feel second class! They even lied to me and told me if I bought more points my resale points wouldn't be considered resale and I would be VIP. Big Lie. I'm not going to anymore. Going to TN this Saturday and you have given me the positive feedback to stay strong, thanks. Anita

Welcome to TUG, as you read more you will see that many of us won't go to a presentation no matter how much they offer. The stress will stay with you more than the time you are there if you let it.

If you have to go for some reason, show no interest and ask no questions.

lcml11

Reaction score

If you want your re-sale to flip to creditable VIP eligable points and they make the offer again, if it is something you want, make sure they put that the specific contracts you own are VIP eligable points as part of the purchase agreement.

ilenekm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gotten some great info on the areas I'm in from sales staff. They are local and usually friendly. I let them think I'm interested in buying and then when I'm doing I take my free stuff and leave and go hit up the local spots. Plus I've never gone for less then 150 bucks I've gotten 175 bucks at national harbor and I've never had a meeting last more then an hour. I schedule it 1st thing in the morning in the first full day I'm there. Then it's over and 175 bucks an hour is pretty good to me.

We are at Governors Green and they offered $50 amex and $60 dinner coupons in restaurants that I don't care for. It was that or $120 dinner coupons. And they would throw in the dream book too.. They wouldn't do all amex so we walked away. First time that they wouldn't give us what we wanted. Oh well.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Kidpolska

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I really have no intention of sitting for any presentation, I just wondered about the "tricks" they might use to try and grab me. When I sat for my initial presentation in Myrtle Beach, the 2 hour presentation turned into 4.5 hours and was pretty intense. Although I guess I can't complain too much...they did sell me on the program, I was just lucky enough to find TUG before buying anything.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only reason a short presentation can go 4 hours is if you don't say no or if you ask questions. These guys are expert in countering objections. Don't say no because of this or that. Say no.

I used to give them a challenge like this: I want to get from where I am to platinum as cheaply as possible. corporate sales has made this offer which I turned down. If you can do better I'll consider it

They end up saying no to me

At reunion I had a Worldmark salesman make a pitch which I turned down and I called him a lier. Which he was. I then asked if we could just end this thing. He let me go after less than 30 minutes. My wife was embarrassed by my approach . But the $100 made up for it

Wyndham sales won't see me anymore but I'm not as well known on the Worldmark side... Give it time. They will blacklist me too because I know the product better than they do and I always say no at the resorts

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
I would love to come to your update, but I have to get my son out of jail first. I hope to get him out by tomorrow morning. He is accused of beating a timeshare sales person and her manager into unconsciousness, because he felt that they were lying to him. I think that he will get off using that as a defense. I hope so, because he is getting pretty angry in jail.

Of course, I will want to bring him with me to the update. Once again, what would be a good time for your sales people to see us?