• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

East sandwich, MA

joyzilli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on renting a cottage in East Sandwich, on Cape Cod? I really don't know much about the cape. Would it be a good location to spend a summer week on the cape. Or should I be looking at another town?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on renting a cottage in East Sandwich, on Cape Cod? I really don't know much about the cape. Would it be a good location to spend a summer week on the cape. Or should I be looking at another town?

Sandwich is a very nice little town, just over the Sagamore Bridge, essentially the very first town actually on Cape Cod after you cross the Cape Cod Canal from Plymouth via the Sagamore Bridge.

Sandwich is largely a residential and year round Cape community. It is certainly much less "touristy" and much less congested with added throngs of people (except for those just driving through en route to elsewhere further "down Cape", of course). That being said, if you are planning on spending much time during your week visiting places on the lower Cape, such as the Cape Cod National Seashore sites and beaches, or Chatham, or Provincetown, then you are necessarily going to be joining "the throngs" and encountering lots of tourist traffic driving from Sandwich to the lower Cape and back again on any given day(s).

Everyone is different, of course. I lived and worked (year round) on lower Cape Cod for some years, so I have both personal experience and considerable bias. Personally, I would not want to spend a whole summer week in Sandwich; I'd get promptly bored. I'd instead be looking for someplace more centrally located as a "hub" for lower Cape travels ( e.g., in towns like Brewster, Orleans, Chatham, Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro). On the other hand, you'll pay considerably more money to be in any of those towns than you are likely paying for a week in sleepy Sandwich, so it's a balancing act you'll have to perform on your own in making your choice.

Hope this helps, If not, I'll fully refund the fee you've paid for my input. ;)

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo makes many good points and I'll add one, while the town of Sandwich is nearest the bridges and isn't as congested as other towns ( Rte. 6 A) , traffic-wise speaking, the cottage colonies in East Sandwich tend to be congested in that they're close together. As for driving congestion, RT. 6A, RT 28, RT 6 will all have bumper to bumper traffic during peak summer times at some points.

I know this as when I was looking for my new "Cape Escape", I considered East Sandwich as it's on the bay side of the Cape, but I did not want my cottage to be so close to others as they tend to be there. There are some cottages that have more distance away from others, though.

Some folks like the closeness of a cottage type community. I do, but I do like my privacy, too.

There's a nice beach there, but there was some damage to parts of the shore, however, not sure exactly where.

Here's a map showing the layout of houses there: http://www.mapgeo.com/sandwichma/ If you zoom in closely, you'll see the proximity of houses to each other. Look on the ocean side.

Last edited:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although pricey, Chatham is nice. Where I own, Harwich on the Chatham li (Red River Beach), is sweet, but Chatham is nicer and has a good village area.

If your budget allows it, our islands are a great place to stay.

It depends on what you like to do on seaside vacations; golf, beachcombing, shopping, sunbathing, swimming (cold water), antiquing, etc.

VRBO , weneedavacation and www.chathamrentals.com have good Cape & Islands listings.

PM me if you'd like.

Last edited:

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
From my tourist point of view, Sandwich is low on my desirability list. I much prefer being closer to the mid cape and really like Dennis of late.