• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Manhattan Club Confiscates Crock Pot!

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's definitely not an issue of unattended cooking. When I talked with them, they said that no cooking devices are allowed, including hot plates, griddles, etc.

It was almost humorous when I asked the guy at the front desk if they had any baking dishes I could use in the microwave. He didn't understand what that was.

I bought a 9x9x4 glass baking dish, and I think we'll be able to do microwave versions of the meals we were planning on cooking in the crock pot. I think we'll have to split them in half and do two batches, but that's not a problem.

I don't buy that it's a fire code issue. It's likely an insurance issue. I'm sure their insurance company told them that the rates would be higher if they allowed any cooking devices in the rooms. There are no toasters in here either.

And it's definitely not a safety issue. Crock pots are incredibly safe.

If it were just me (or even me and my wife), I would be eating out every night. As it is, we planned on eating out about every other night. But when you travel almost half of the year, with three kids (plus we have a niece traveling with us on this six week road trip), you try to be more frugal and healthy. Part of the reason we like timeshares is that we can cook meals.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rules are rules and we must fellow them. They the resort should have spelled this out in their resort guidelines or in RCI rules for exchanging into this resort.

Good luck and enjoy your stay.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
No we didnt have microwaves, we used really big gasoline fired camp stoves...but we did have to innovate and adapt recipes to field conditions. We did have electricity though, from a generator, and we carried an electric potato peeler. My KPs were the envy of KPs everywhere

You do know I was just joking? I was also in in 1970 and I still wish I had one of those field stoves with the burner unit. And I alway thought the immersion heaters would be great for heating a swimming pool.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rules are rules and we must fellow them. They the resort should have spelled this out in their resort guidelines or in RCI rules for exchanging into this resort.

Good luck and enjoy your stay.

It's not even on MC website, which I looked at last night.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
It's definitely not an issue of unattended cooking. When I talked with them, they said that no cooking devices are allowed, including hot plates, griddles, etc.

It was almost humorous when I asked the guy at the front desk if they had any baking dishes I could use in the microwave. He didn't understand what that was.

I bought a 9x9x4 glass baking dish, and I think we'll be able to do microwave versions of the meals we were planning on cooking in the crock pot. I think we'll have to split them in half and do two batches, but that's not a problem.

I don't buy that it's a fire code issue. It's likely an insurance issue. I'm sure their insurance company told them that the rates would be higher if they allowed any cooking devices in the rooms. There are no toasters in here either.

And it's definitely not a safety issue. Crock pots are incredibly safe.

If it were just me (or even me and my wife), I would be eating out every night. As it is, we planned on eating out about every other night. But when you travel almost half of the year, with three kids (plus we have a niece traveling with us on this six week road trip), you try to be more frugal and healthy. Part of the reason we like timeshares is that we can cook meals.

Out of curiosity, was this no-cooking-devices policy written somewhere and you just missed it? Or was it unknowable up until the time of the "offense?"

Of course a microwave is a cooking device and they allow that, so their logic is not great. But don't point that out to them, they might pull out all the microwaves next!

Have fun with your creative cooking and your visit to NY!

H

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't had time to look through the notebook of info yet, but I haven't seen anything about it yet.

Searching, I did find a TUG post from several years back mentioning cooking restrictions and a TripAdvisor review complaining about the same issue.

Definitely not something I knew in advance. Bell services brought the crock pot up when I checked in and said nothing. It was sitting on the counter Saturday when housekeeping cleaned and they said nothing. Sunday they confiscated it.

Sullco2

Reaction score
NYC firefighters

I lived in NYC for many years and a friend recounts how he was using his small outdoor grill on his apartment balcony one evening when firefighters burst through his door with hoses, extinguished the "fire" and let him know in no uncertain terms that this was illegal.

While this isn't exactly parallel, NYC is no place to mess with the authorities. You don't stand a chance.

I do understand the impulse to save some money while traveling with family and that timeshare suites provide that opportunity. But NYC should really be the exception--it's a world capital with every type of cuisine at every price level within a few blocks of wherever you are.

Having said that, I know it's not always realistic. But certainly part of travel is new taste sensations.

Bon voyage.

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't had time to look through the notebook of info yet, but I haven't seen anything about it yet.

Searching, I did find a TUG post from several years back mentioning cooking restrictions and a TripAdvisor review complaining about the same issue.

Definitely not something I knew in advance. Bell services brought the crock pot up when I checked in and said nothing. It was sitting on the counter Saturday when housekeeping cleaned and they said nothing. Sunday they confiscated it.

Was the crockpot in use on Saturday or Sunday while housekeeping cleaned th unit?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
You do know I was just joking? I was also in in 1970 and I still wish I had one of those field stoves with the burner unit. And I alway thought the immersion heaters would be great for heating a swimming pool.

Of course I knew, but I wanted to carry the joke a little farther. And the fact is that there are a lot of things that werent there when we were kids.

And here you go...ask and you shall receive .

field range

immersion heater

turns out that you can buy more than timeshares on ebay

we were up at 3 am to prepare breakfast to be served at 6. Good SOS takes time. Part of our prep work was lighting 4 immersion heaters. (prewash, wash, second wash, and rinse). I enjoyed showing a new cook how to light one. There was always a someone walking around with no hair on his arm, and sometimes no eyebrows. And the explosion would wake the troop a little early for breakfast.

Last edited:

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I would be ticked off about my crock pot! You would think that the "no cooking appliances" would have been included in your reservation confirmation or something?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I would be ticked off about my crock pot! You would think that the "no cooking appliances" would have been included in your reservation confirmation or something?

I disagree...somethings are just understood.

For example,

Ive never seen a rule that says I have to wear a swim suit in the hot tubs, but I almost always do.

or no open fires on the deck, I only learned in this thread that some folks travel with their bar-b-que.

The exchange companies cant anticipate every common sense thing that one of their members might violate and provide a notice

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score

For example,

Ive never seen a rule that says I have to wear a swim suit in the hot tubs, but I almost always do.

or no open fires on the deck, I only learned in this thread that some folks travel with their bar-b-que.

The exchange companies cant anticipate every common sense thing that one of their members might violate and provide a notice

Not wearing a swimsuit in a public use hot tub? :hysterical: sorry that just tickled my funny bone!

but I guess you have a point, makes more sense when you put it that way. But still, it got to be a bummer for op

GeraldineT

Reaction score
There are laws in NY that somehow apply to hotels so that people cannot rent out rooms and have these makeshift kitchens (crockpots, hotpots, portable stoves) in them. It goes to illegal apartments and other type housing issues. Because a lot of apartments in NYC (all 5 boroughs) are literally a bedroom with a shared bath they are a ton of weird rules that somehow hotels fall under since old hotels have been converted into "apartments" without a "formal" kitchen

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

For example,

Except that it's a timeshare and there is a reasonable expectation of an ability to cook because there is a kitchen or kitchen-like space. I totally agree that if there are no pots/pans or stoves, "no cooking" is semi-implied. In a situation like this, it would be smart of the exchange company to make this clear, just so that everyone's on the same page at the time the exchange goes through. Not that RCI is responsible but perhaps Michael will take the time to drop them a note after his return home. The suggestion could be made that a disclaimer be added to the Manhattan Club resort description- limited kitchen facilities and guests may not bring their own cooking devices.

H

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score

For example,

I must disagree with this. I think it's understood and common sense that you be able to cook in a timeshare. If it's prohibited (something out of the ordinary), it should be made clear in advance.

Your swim suit example is also off the mark. In the US, it's pretty standard that swim suits are required. (Not so in parts of Europe!) It's the exceptions that should be spelled out.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must disagree with this. I think it's understood and common sense that you be able to cook in a timeshare. If it's prohibited (something out of the ordinary), it should be made clear in advance.

Your swim suit example is also off the mark. In the US, it's pretty standard that swim suits are required. (Not so in parts of Europe!) It's the exceptions that should be spelled out.

and with urban timeshares, its common practice not to provide a stove, if there's no stove I don't bring my own.

Don't get me wrong, Id be pissed too, and I probably wouldn't be as gracious about it as you. But sitting on the outside looking in, Im not surprised

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I guess this is one instance where daily housekeeping is definitely a negative. :rolleyes:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying at The Manhattan Club, and housekeeping confiscated our crock pot this morning. Security says it is against fire code and that we can't get it back until we check out.

We have stuff in the fridge that we can't cook, now. We had planned several crock pot meals...

Bell services never said anything when they brought it up. Housekeeping never said anything yesterday.

So much for a "kitchenette"!

Thanks for the info. I am going to the Manhattan Club next month. I didn't plan on cooking, but now I know that I can't. So, it will justify me going out to eat the great food of New York City.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

Whole Foods at the Time Warner Center is a good cheap eat from their buffet.

silverfox82

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a retired NYC firefighter however I don't know much about the fire codes. Seems pretty silly to me in any event, the bbq on the balcony not so much.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
About 1/4 of the TS's I own send out some kind of confirmation directly from the resort (not from RCI, II, etc). Resorts with higher MF's and chains are more likely to do this than smaller independent resorts. These confirmations usually include these kind of restrictions that they may not want to advertise on the website available to the general public. I would certainly have expected the Manhatten Club to send something like this out to exchangers or at the very minimum include it with the check in materials or in the folder/book of important information in the room.

I also think that RCI should be notified and should start including it in their urgent information.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whole Foods at the Time Warner Center is a good cheap eat from their buffet.
Do they have an actual buffet (and if so, do you know how much it is?) or is it the $/pound prepared food?

My kids would be quite expensive if it were $/pound. They all have voracious appetites. Even my 3 year old can wipe out a foot long Subway sandwich. And then ask what's for lunch 5 minutes later.

Last night, we did The Halal Guys (my favorite street meat in NYC!). It's basically a big pie tin full of rice and lamb, and some incredible sauces.

GeraldineT

Reaction score
Do they have an actual buffet (and if so, do you know how much it is?) or is it the $/pound prepared food?

My kids would be quite expensive if it were $/pound. They all have voracious appetites. Even my 3 year old can wipe out a foot long Subway sandwich. And then ask what's for lunch 5 minutes later.

Last night, we did The Halal Guys (my favorite street meat in NYC!). It's basically a big pie tin full of rice and lamb, and some incredible sauces.

Also check out the Food Emporium on 8th (and I think 50th). They have some reasonably priced prepared foods.

Also if you have the ability to print check out restaurant.com We got certificates to La Parisenne on 7th which isnt too far from you.