• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

straw buyer to force Mariott buyback

Sullco2

Reaction score
What's to stop someone who just wants out of their MVCI week(s) to ask a friend to phony up an offer that is very low? The seller submits it to MVCI and MVCI has to buy it back because it's so low.

Presto--the seller is out of his MF, etc. and didn't have to go through the various selling options that we all know about.

Why doesn't this work? Or does it......

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's to stop someone who just wants out of their MVCI week(s) to ask a friend to phony up an offer that is very low? The seller submits it to MVCI and MVCI has to buy it back because it's so low.

Presto--the seller is out of his MF, etc. and didn't have to go through the various selling options that we all know about.

Why would Marriott have to buy it back just because it is a "low" price? That wouldn't make sense. There are Marriott's sold for $1 all the time that Marriott does not take. Marriott does not have to buy anything back that they do not want.

Just call and ask if Marriott want's it. They may buy it right then and there without all the phony nonsense that is a waste of everyone's time.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I'm not sure that this will work. Marriott is still letting alot go through ROFR, therefore the Seller can't be assured it will be ROFR'd.

If it's a decent week, then hopefully it can be liquidated through eBay at at least the low notional price -- or given away on TUG boards?

At least with the other two, the transaction is pristine, whereas the fake offer designed to induce a purchase from Marriott isn't.

Best,

Greg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

If Marriott didn't exercise you could be left in a situation where your friend has to back out of the deal and you'll still be the owner. Marriott has the RIGHT of First Refusal but not an obligation to exercise it, and we've seen over the years that sometimes there's just no rhyme or reason to what Marriott will or won't take through ROFR.

Sullco2

Reaction score
Thank you

Actually I asked this question because I recently sent a laughably low offer to someone selling what I believe is a desirable MVCI property.

He insisted I make the offer and, upon reflection, I wondered if he was using that strategy.

We'll see what happens.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually I asked this question because I recently sent a laughably low offer to someone selling what I believe is a desirable MVCI property.

He insisted I make the offer and, upon reflection, I wondered if he was using that strategy.

We'll see what happens.

It would be a pointless exercise. Marriott has a resale phone number that anyone can call and get an instant quote on a buy back. You do not need an offer from a third party in order to sell back to Marriott.

I don't think I have ever inquired on a Redweek ad where the seller didn't ask me to make an offer.

Sullco2

Reaction score
Once again, TUG board folks know way more than the average bear.

Thanks again.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is always a chance that Marriott will exorcise ROFR for a higher amount than what they offer for a true purchase. It would be interesting to compare the 2 databases.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It would be a pointless exercise. Marriott has a resale phone number that anyone can call and get an instant quote on a buy back. You do not need an offer from a third party in order to sell back to Marriott.

I don't think I have ever inquired on a Redweek ad where the seller didn't ask me to make an offer.

I agree. One can't really force a Marriott buyback or ROFR. Chances are if they are ROFRing on a property, they are also actively buying it back.

benyu2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
But I remembered someone posted while ago that Marriott does not buy back deeded weeks purchased in secondary market. Is this kinda trick, though not vey wise IMO, only way may trigger an action of Marriott?

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
why a low offer? i think even a fair price offer may get ROFR exercised if Marriott considers the buyer a likely future sales prospect. this happened to someone i know six years back.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
But I remembered someone posted while ago that Marriott does not buy back deeded weeks purchased in secondary market. Is this kinda trick, though not vey wise IMO, only way may trigger an action of Marriott?

Marriott does buy backs from weeks purchased on the secondary market. What they are not doing is buying back bronze weeks and most silver weeks. They are also less likely to offer buy backs for resorts that they are already heavy in the trust. In most cases it seems that the buy back offers are slightly higher to a fair bit higher than ebay market value. Some properties like Aruba may be getting offers a little on the low side.

In any case before you do anything else I would contact Marriott and see if they are offering to buy back the week before deciding on alternatives especially ones that would involve fraud.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

There are plenty of postings to the Buyback Database where people who purchased resale were made buyback offers from Marriott.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. One can't really force a Marriott buyback or ROFR. Chances are if they are ROFRing on a property, they are also actively buying it back.

It is obvious, based on your database, that Marriott is actively making offers to BeachPlace Towers owners. Since we have seen so many MBP offers, and owners declining those offers, I do believe there is a good chance that Marriott would, at this time, purchase through ROFR a BeachPlace unit for an amount more than what they are currently offering owners.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Where's the light bulb emoticon?

I now see why Marriott charges a fee to submit an offer to see it will rofr. If they did not charge a fee I suspect they'd be over run with phony purchase offers just to see what price will clear.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

If Marriott needs a week they are not going to care where it came from. I sold one back that I bought only a few months earlier. I was upgrading my view so it worked out nicely.