• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace Timeshare Tier 1 Package - DEAL or NOT?

czemel

Reaction score
Hi,

Let me start by saying that I have attended numerous timeshare presentations in the past and have never even come close to purchasing. So forgive me if I sound uneducated in the timeshare world.

Currently I am in Cancun, Mexico. For a gift, I attended a timeshare presentation at the Grand Mayan Palace in the Mayan Riviera. After going through a barrage of salespeople, they closed with a super aggressive sales guy. Completely illogical but friendly and I just kept refusing. Finally he gave up. Then they sent us to a different part of the resort where we met up with people who claimed to be part of the hotel (so they claimed and made it seem like its an us - being the hotel - vs them - the marketing company who takes huge commissions... so strange!) and not affiliated with the marketing company who we previously encountered. So what started as a $64,000 pitch then went to under $10,000. Still refused and without much persistence then passed us to another gentleman. This gentleman offered us something with no ownership. Basically for a onetime fee of $1700 we would get 5 weeks (valid at any of their exchange partners or their Mayan palace resorts except the Grand ones which is bookable up to 1 year in advance), 1 bonus week (valid at the Mayan palace Bliss for a 1 bedroom), 30 weeks (valid up to 90 days in advance if I recall correctly), and $1000 in activity credits (they claim this can be used for cruises, excursions, golf... but I am guessing that the pricing is exaggerated or there is further cash component to this)

The additional fees were as follows:
$99 / year exchange fee (account maintenance and keeps our weeks active) starting to be payable in year 2
When we use one of the 5 weeks, it would cost us a onetime fee of $299/studio, $399/1 bedroom, $499/2 bedroom
The 1 bonus week at Mayan Bliss for a 1 bedroom would be a onetime fee of $399
When we use one of the weeks, , it would cost us a onetime fee of $99/studio, $199/1 bedroom, $399/2 bedroom

Once we use up all the weeks, we can renew for an additional $299.

I figured the 1 week at the bliss resort was worth about $1000. So $1700+$399 - $1000 = a remaining balance of $1099 for the 5 weeks. I don't have any value for the 30 x 90 day in advance weeks.

So my biggest concern was how easily I can use those 5 weeks. And how easily those exchanges would have something available. For example, I got to fort Lauderdale/Miami in peak season for 2 weeks and I would book now. Now it does appear there are 10-15 resorts that would suit us. But how easy would it be to use that. I expressed my concern many times to the sales people and then pushed them to give me a larger window of cancellation to 60 days so I can try and see once I get the membership kit in 30 days. So they put together a document a signed by the agent and manager to allow me the extended cancellation period. Albeit, the main contract has a stipulation about additional agreements and their validity which they acknowledged and said not to worry (I have their cell phone numbers so at the very least I can bother them if this becomes an issue :) ). In any case, I realize the risk I ventured into given that condition, but its the best I could do as they could not modify the original agreement. Not to mention, the risk and commitment is minimal so financially its not a major burden if it proves to be difficult to use.

So my question is how easily can those 5 weeks be used in those exchanges? And is this a "deal" or just another way to suck even small amounts out of customers OR perhaps some other surprise coming my way (I did re-read all the signed documentation again and cannot find anything). In my head I justified their reasoning since they can get people into their resorts and push their high priced amenities and more timeshare. So to them its like a "gift" with the goal to get me to buy in the future.

Again, I'm a timeshare newbie so let me know your thoughts. Notwithstanding the 60 day grace period extension and its validity, I should have 5 business days to cancel in case. Its certainly not a $60,000 purchase (so I hope I don't offend anyone with what could be perceived to be a trivial question compared to some other concerns with larger dollar amounts), but it would be good to hear from other timeshare people. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
First of all, the Bliss is not worth $1000 - the MF on that are probably about $700 and an owner would most likely rent it to you for $800. They currently only have the Bliss at the Mayan Riviera location, so if you wanted to go to another of the sister resorts, you would be in Mayan Palace units. These are just like Bliss with different furniture, so not a problem.

We have a friend who bought into this plan in Puerto Penasco 3 years ago. They were able to go to the MP there last year using the Bonus week and low price. They have not been able to get in there again and that is their preferred location because they can drive there in less than 4 hours. They do not plan far ahead like most timeshare folks and have not had any luck with getting a place where they want to go with 6-8 weeks advance planning. They wanted to try the "timeshare thing", so bought this package. I think they have found that with their kids so involved in soccer, they can only travel at spring break and fall break times which are more difficult to get unless you do make plans at least 6 months out.

I do not know what exchange group they use for this, so have no idea which resorts are available for you. Since you bought it, you can choose to rescind or figure out where your break even point is for usage. Be sure to factor in the annual fee and cost for original purchase....... $340/year original purchase + $99 annual fee, + $499 for 2 bedroom unit is $938 - more than the cost to rent a 2-bedroom unit from a TUG member or on eBay.

My guess is that if you actually make an exchange within the 60 days, you will not be able to rescind.

Last edited:

rpennisi

Reaction score

I don't get it. Why are you referring the OP to this thread? One report of a possible theft at a huge resort and you are using that as a hammer?:ponder:

As far as I can ascertain, this has nothing to do with the original question.

To the OP, I would as others wrote rescind, but do go to the resorts by renting another owner's weeks and try them out a couple of times. I don't like the sales tactics or some of the trap you onsite tactics, but I do love the resorts at all of their levels.

czemel

Reaction score
First of all, the Bliss is not worth $1000 - the MF on that are probably about $700 and an owner would most likely rent it to you for $800. They currently only have the Bliss at the Mayan Riviera location, so if you wanted to go to another of the sister resorts, you would be in Mayan Palace units. These are just like Bliss with different furniture, so not a problem.

We have a friend who bought into this plan in Puerto Penasco 3 years ago. They were able to go to the MP there last year using the Bonus week and low price. They have not been able to get in there again and that is their preferred location because they can drive there in less than 4 hours. They do not plan far ahead like most timeshare folks and have not had any luck with getting a place where they want to go with 6-8 weeks advance planning. They wanted to try the "timeshare thing", so bought this package. I think they have found that with their kids so involved in soccer, they can only travel at spring break and fall break times which are more difficult to get unless you do make plans at least 6 months out.

I do not know what exchange group they use for this, so have no idea which resorts are available for you. Since you bought it, you can choose to rescind or figure out where your break even point is for usage. Be sure to factor in the annual fee and cost for original purchase....... $340/year original purchase + $99 annual fee, + $499 for 2 bedroom unit is $938 - more than the cost to rent a 2-bedroom unit from a TUG member or on eBay.

My guess is that if you actually make an exchange within the 60 days, you will not be able to rescind.

Thanks for the detailed response. So it seems like what it comes down to is the value in those 5 weeks that we can book up to 1 year in advance. By the way, we tend to book very far in advabce (at least 6 months) so not sure if that makes a difference. They had about 7 systems they exchange with including RCI, interval, and SFX. They had others but I just don't remember the names (one had listing in this black hard cover book). I can tell you that we already need 2 weeks from 12/21 - 01/06 in fort Lauderdale/pompano beach/Miami. I did see they had marriots, Hilton's (including the foutaine bleu in miami, and Hyatt's (there were 10 in my shortlist that I would book today but I do realize its peak season so this all may be a pipe dream. I do know that Marriott owners for peak season charge $200/day or much more for their units. Essentially I'm looking at the value besides what I can use at the Mayan palace resorts themselves and thus use via the exchange systens they are partnered with.

If nobody sees the value to those 5 weeks (considrring our total cash outlay) then I'm definitely canceling.

Great to hear input from everyone who has more experience than myself!

Last edited:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who would you be booking Marriott timeshare through? We own quite a few Marriott's and weeks 51/52 are very hard to get, let alone exchange into. If it is rentals hat you are looking at lok here on TUG or on REDWEEK. Owners do not charge for exchanges.

Last edited:

czemel

Reaction score
Who would you be booking Marriott timeshare through? We own quite a few Marriott's and weeks 51/52 are very hard to get, let alone exchange into. If it is rentals hat you are looking at lok here on TUG or on REDWEEK. Owners do not charge for exchanges.

Ya it was a rental from someone i made contact with through one of the timeshare rental sites. Ill definitely use this board in the future if im seeking a new rental...
So if week 51/52 is what i'm seeking, is it too much of a big feat to rely on getting one of the big chain timeshare (there's a bunch in interval... I usually stay at the Wyndham Santa Barbara every year in a 2 bedroom for $140/ night during the 2 peak weeks in december) properties even if done 8 months in advanced?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Getting Christmas/New Years weeks will be difficult - especially two consecutive weeks in the same resort. Six months out is not long enough to get weeks at Christmas - folks who own these tend to go or rent them out for a higher rate. Some do deposit because they can often get 2 weeks at other places for the exchange value of one Holiday week.

I do not understand how you will be able to participate with numerous exchange companies. I have been a member of RCI, Interval and SFX for years. With RCI & Interval, you have to pay annual fees to each (we no longer have Interval resorts, so cancelled that and our RCI has 2 years left and will not renew). We have pretty much stopped exchanging because for $99 per year annual fee, maintenance fee, and exchange fee, we are spending $300 more than the MF. We have adopted the buy where you want to go philosophy after 23 years of timesharing.

You can be a member of SFX for free, but with any exchange company, you have to have something to deposit before you can make an exchange. MP does the depositing since all their units are floating weeks. It is key to have a "good" week deposited, and with the trial program, I doubt that will happen.

I would probably rescind and start renting from TUG members until you find your favorite resort or family of resorts. Then look for resale units - we have bought from the developer and resale and when you get to the resort, there is no difference in how you are treated - an owner is an owner. If you watch eBay sales, you will see that you can most likely get your favorite resort for less than the $1700 you paid for this trial - but you will be obligated for the annual MF.

czemel

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Phylis.

Getting Christmas/New Years weeks will be difficult - especially two consecutive weeks in the same resort. Six months out is not long enough to get weeks at Christmas - folks who own these tend to go or rent them out for a higher rate. Some do deposit because they can often get 2 weeks at other places for the exchange value of one Holiday week.
So it sounds like using the weeks for peak season is an unlikely event.

I do not understand how you will be able to participate with numerous exchange companies. I have been a member of RCI, Interval and SFX for years. With RCI & Interval, you have to pay annual fees to each (we no longer have Interval resorts, so cancelled that and our RCI has 2 years left and will not renew). We have pretty much stopped exchanging because for $99 per year annual fee, maintenance fee, and exchange fee, we are spending $300 more than the MF. We have adopted the buy where you want to go philosophy after 23 years of timesharing.
According to the timeshare people I pay $99 / year for all of them They did say that I need to call them directly to do an exchange and I don't book through RCI or interval directly. So not sure how that comes into play. Again, they could have been lying so nothing would surprise me...

You can be a member of SFX for free, but with any exchange company, you have to have something to deposit before you can make an exchange. MP does the depositing since all their units are floating weeks. It is key to have a "good" week deposited, and with the trial program, I doubt that will happen.
Interesting thought. You are probably right. Wouldn't make sense to give a non owner equal rights.

I would probably rescind and start renting from TUG members until you find your favorite resort or family of resorts. Then look for resale units - we have bought from the developer and resale and when you get to the resort, there is no difference in how you are treated - an owner is an owner. If you watch eBay sales, you will see that you can most likely get your favorite resort for less than the $1700 you paid for this trial - but you will be obligated for the annual MF.
Just keep in mind the $1700 includes 1 week at the bliss PLUS 5 weeks using any exchange partner or Mayan Palace, so technically i can stay 5 more weeks at the MP, although I would pay 6x$400 = $2400 for those and more importantly thats not something I am interested in since the exchanging is what I had any value for. So while there is technically no mandatory forced yearly maintenance fee I still need to pay a fee when I use a week. Only difference between that and maintenance fee is I don't have to pay it even if I don't use it.

PS: If I decide to rescind, who should I contact? is there a number to call?

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
czemel,

You've received some good advice, and as others have said, I suggest you rescind. You should find the details in the contract paperwork, and follow it to the 'T.'

If those 5 weeks they offer for exchanging won't even allow you to reserve in the Grand levels, then it's a fair guess they won't get you into any of the brands like Marriott and Hyatt, especially over the holidays. Also, FL is high demand over the holidays as well, so you'd typically need higher trade power for that.

Best of luck.

czemel

Reaction score
czemel,

You've received some good advice, and as others have said, I suggest you rescind. You should find the details in the contract paperwork, and follow it to the 'T.'

If those 5 weeks they offer for exchanging won't even allow you to reserve in the Grand levels, then it's a fair guess they won't get you into any of the brands like Marriott and Hyatt, especially over the holidays. Also, FL is high demand over the holidays as well, so you'd typically need higher trade power for that.

Best of luck.

Yep. All helpful input from everyone and most appreciated!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Sorry I was not able to get back sooner. I do hope you choose to rescind. We have been an owner at all levels of "Mayan World" as as I refer to it. We have purchased from them in 1999, upgraded with them in 2006 and 2013, and bought several units on eBay. (We did the same with the Buganvilias.)

I am skeptical of the multiple exchange company opportunities. If it seems too good to be true, then it probably isn't rule most likely applies.

You need to figure out where you would like to go if you are not able to make an exchange, and buy there - resale if possible.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Great - thanks for letting us know.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything has been resolved with the Mayan Palace to my satisfaction.

Code for: I had to write a disclaimer in order to settle.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

I knew that - but at least we know that he got it worked out. Lots of folks do not bother with even that. I am just glad that MP was willing to settle.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't get this, either. The OP was well within his/her rescission period when posting, and I didn't get the impression this was one of those "I was pressured into signing this contract and now, two months later, I'm having buyer's remorse and they won't let me out of the contract" type of posts.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Phyllis are you aware that the Grand Luxxe now exchanges through II? I have exchanged 4 times into the GL through II.

Ilene - our contract specifies Registry Collection, not II. I know many people do trade into GL using II, but they will not be getting any of our weeks. We have decided to own where we want to go and not worry about exchanges.

We have been timesharing since 1991 and have made many great exchanges and some not so great exchanges. We have been to many places and decided our family likes the Mayan Resorts the best and so we own there. We love all of the Grupo Mayan properties and by owning GL, we can use GM or GB units and extend our time at them when we want to.

We also own Buganvilias Sky Suites in PV - another great place that we will never exchange.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
GL is not in the new Registry Collection book. We bought our first timeshare in 1980. At one point we owned a high of 10 weeks, we are now down to 7 weeks. We too own where we want to go, unfortunately (maybe fortunately) my school district has changed our breaks and we now have a week off for President's week. So I've had to exchange lock offs to get the extra week.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Grand Luxxe in RCI's Registry Collection

GL is not in the new Registry Collection book. We bought our first timeshare in 1980. At one point we owned a high of 10 weeks, we are now down to 7 weeks. We too own where we want to go, unfortunately (maybe fortunately) my school district has changed our breaks and we now have a week off for President's week. So I've had to exchange lock offs to get the extra week.

Wow, I didn't realize how nice the GL units are until I viewed them in the Registry Collection gallery (Grand Luxxe Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico (D530)).

The GL units are impressive.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

Registry Collection has yet to send me a book and we became members through GL in June 2013. They send me emails about our old GM account even though that expired in 2011. When I tried to contact them about GL, they emailed me a new member number (that does not let me log in) but no information. I did see GL in the new resorts section online and yes, they are quite impressive.

We have owned as many as 15 weeks and are down to 9 ourselves.

Last edited: