• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Royal Resort?

TF865

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter, her boyfriend and another couple, all mid-twenties are planning their first Mexico vacation to Cancun. They are planning to go in early November. I am looking to trade into one of the optional all-inclusive Royal Resorts for traders which I understand are the Islander, Cancun and Caribbean. Of these, which would you recommend for this age group? I am thinking the Caribbean based on reviews? If I can't get that, which would be a good second choice? Are there good restaurants within walking distance? My husband and I went for the first time this February but stayed at Westin Lagunamar. We loved Cancun and can't wait to go back!!

jbuzzy11

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Royal Cancun has a optional AI now so you can refuse it. I have stayed in all the resorts in Cancun and of the 3 you are looking at I would pick the Royal Caribbean for younger adults. From my experience the Royal Cancun is a more relaxed family atmosphere, that's why I own there and it's MUCH different from all the other RR, great beach but ZERO waves, of the other 2 resorts the islander as a resort is smaller then the Caribbean but to be honest they are only sleeping there and can use all the Resorts whenever they want so be sure to let them know that. don't hold out for one of the 2 because they can just take a free bus ride down to the sands or Royal Cancun and use the grounds. I would tell them to take a ride to the sands for the younger crowd.. I'm counting down the days till weeks 6 & 7

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
.. I'm counting down the days till weeks 6 & 7

That's a lot of Counting but I see by your avitar, it's not a problem for you.:hysterical:

jbuzzy11

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haha... Just got it! My son loves the count!

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
when you say optional AI, you mean you don't want the AI, correct?

That leaves the Islander and the Caribbean. In that case, the specific one into which they trade is irrelevant - the two are interconnected and they can and should use the facilities of both. You should request and/or look for both online, that doubles your possibilities of getting one. We own at both and often trade in for extra weeks, and have zero preference in terms of which we get as our trade.

The villas are identical, differing only in decor. All villas have at least an ocean view; the higher up the better view, and if they are lucky enough to get an ocean front exchange, then that's all they'll see. With an exchange, the location is of course pot luck, depending entirely on what locations an owner threw into the pot.

In terms of restaurants in walking distance, only Captain's Cove, which is owned by the Royals and is across the street from the Islander/Caribbean. Very nice seafood and if they get seated right on the water (lagoon, not sea), they can watch the resident crocodiles.

There are also four restaurants on-site: Tradewinds in the middle of the Caribbean, and Paco's Tacos, Cayo Largo, and El Conquistador in the middle of the Islander. El Conquistador is one of Cancun's best restaurants, pricier and dressier than the others, the type of place for a special dinner out. Paco's is a lower-cost casual Mexican place, and Tradewinds and Cayo Largo have a mix of seafood, steak, pasta, and so forth - nothing particularly memorable but ok. There are also pool and beach bars with food service.

There are many many restaurants off-site, all price ranges, all types of cuisine, clubs, music, etc etc.

PS - regarding the Cancun (formerly VCI and Club Internacional), I would probably not recommend it for this age group. The water is very shallow and flat, great for a baby or toddler, but no waves. The resort is quite peaceful and quiet - perhaps not what they're looking for.

PPS - If there's any way they could rent from an owner rather than doing an exchange, I think they'd probably enjoy the Sands more. It has a younger more active atmosphere. As suggested above by JBuzzy11, they can go to the Sands and the Cancun, and there is a free shuttle (only hourly between the Caribbean/Islander and Sands, and less than that to the Cancun).

Last edited:

TF865

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the advise - very helpful! I will look for the Caribbean or Islander but steer away from the Cancun. I had heard the Sands is awesome for the younger crowd but I was trying to let them use an extra week I have. If they love it, which I know they will, then maybe they can consider renting from an owner at the Sands :) thanks again

jbuzzy11

TUG Member
Reaction score
when you say optional AI, you mean you don't want the AI, correct?. That leaves the Islander and the Caribbean.

P.J. The royal Cancun is an optional AI for anyone, you can refuse it even if you are not an owner. I wasn't sure if you realize that from your comment above.
Johnny

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
P.J. The royal Cancun is an optional AI for anyone, you can refuse it even if you are not an owner. I wasn't sure if you realize that from your comment above.
Johnny

And to clarify what Johnny wrote, this is taken directly from the RR's website:

"The REFINE All-Inclusive package will be mandatory for non-members who rent at The Royal Cancun through the Reservations Center or an online travel agency such as Expedia or Orbitz. It will be included in their daily accommodation rate and charged at the market price.

Unlike The Royal Sands and The Royal Haciendas, the REFINE All-Inclusive package at The Royal Cancun will be optional for non-member exchange guests who book to stay at the resort through an international exchange company.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Johnny

And to clarify what Johnny wrote, this is taken directly from the RR's website:

"The REFINE All-Inclusive package will be mandatory for non-members who rent at The Royal Cancun through the Reservations Center or an online travel agency such as Expedia or Orbitz. It will be included in their daily accommodation rate and charged at the market price.

Unlike The Royal Sands and The Royal Haciendas, the REFINE All-Inclusive package at The Royal Cancun will be optional for non-member exchange guests who book to stay at the resort through an international exchange company.

Thanks :) I vaguely remembered that, but didn't take the time to check :eek: