• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] Villa del Palmar, Timeshare Scams,Universal Vacation Club

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I've signed the contract on Sunday, May 19.
As I understood the cancelation should be made in 5 working days.
So what is the last day I could cancel it Friday or Sunday ?
I believe the rule is five business days and Saturday & Sunday do not count, so I assume Friday would have been the fifth day.

I joined today and am feeling a little wary after all the reports of issues herein. According to the contract, you can cancel within 5 days after signing the contract. I feel the timeshare system is a good fit for me as I vacation a couple of months per year. I am just wondering about the Villa Group and these complaints.
If you have any doubts whatsoever about what you've committed yourself to, rescind while you still have a chance. You only get this one opportunity to rescind and if you let the five business days pass, you'll never get this chance again. You will almost always do better buying timeshare resale than from a developer. Rescind your contract and take your time to do some research. The deal will still be available later if you decide it's really something you want/need, no matter what the salesman has told you.

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
I joined today and am feeling a little wary after all the reports of issues herein. According to the contract, you can cancel within 5 days after signing the contract. I feel the timeshare system is a good fit for me as I vacation a couple of months per year. I am just wondering about the Villa Group and these complaints.

If you are wary and uncomfortable - rescind immediately.

I own three contracts with the Villa Group. One purchased direct from the developer in 2008 and the other two purchased resale off of eBay. We really like the resorts and have not had the problems/issues that others have described - especially at the Cabo properties. We had a bad experience at the Villa del Palmar Flamingos once during in an owners update...but it wasn't related to business practices and misrepresentations, etc. I have always found them to be above board with me. I think they run a first class operation and look forward to continuing our travels to the Villa Group resorts.

The most common mantra here on TUG would be to rescind and buy resale. Good advice. Problem is that the resale market for Villa Group properties has dried up other than for summer weeks and studio weeks. Depending on what you're looking for it may be difficult to find what you want...that said, if I were looking to buy another week I'd be patient and wait for a resale opportunity.

If you elect to keep the membership you've purchased be sure to carefully read the contract you signed. Regardless of what the sales rep may have said, if any representations that were made are not spelled out in the contract they will not be honored.

FWIW

bbb

aquadoll

Reaction score
Can I Sell My Timeshare Back?

Jeff hasn't been active here for over a year - although the TUG stats shows activity in his account...perhaps he's lurking. I've previously had private contact with him but all subsequent communications have gone unanswered. Jeff once had a website(see earlier message in this thread for link) that hosted UVC rentals and a UVC members page but that now points to the UVC home page. All this leads me to believe that he came to some accommodation with UVC and as part of that had to discontinue posting. My point being don't expect help form Jeff.

If you acquired a membership very recently and you don't want it rescind immediately. If you acquired the membership recently and have missed the rescission window not sure what you can do unless they materially and factually lied to you...perhaps them Profeco can help you...see comments earlier messages on this topic. If you've had your membership and it is paid for and current and you want to get out from under the maintenance fees you can surrender your membership to UVC. If you're unhappy with your membership because you can't make it work for you let us know your challenges...several of us here can help you use it effectively.

FWIW.

bbb

BBB,

I bought a Villa Preferred Access Time Share in the spring of 2011. My partner and I purchased it just before I was to begin a one year tour in Iraq. Since the purchase and my return, we have broken up and the Time Share just isn't part of my life. I have never returned to Cabo and have taken a pay cut at my job. The maintenance fee is a drain on my bank account I no longer want to endure if I will never use it. I would like to sell the Time Share back and try to recoup some of my losses if possible. I don't know what my options are at this point. Any advice or guidance anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
BBB,

I bought a Villa Preferred Access Time Share in the spring of 2011. My partner and I purchased it just before I was to begin a one year tour in Iraq. Since the purchase and my return, we have broken up and the Time Share just isn't part of my life. I have never returned to Cabo and have taken a pay cut at my job. The maintenance fee is a drain on my bank account I no longer want to endure if I will never use it. I would like to sell the Time Share back and try to recoup some of my losses if possible. I don't know what my options are at this point. Any advice or guidance anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

The developer won't buy it back ever but will let you give the membership back if its paid in full. Access Points membership revert to a premiere membership with a PV home resort when sold resale. The problem is the maintenance fee and Right to Use stays the same. MF on premiere contracts can be as low as $560 for a 1 bed 2 bath with as little as 8 years left on the RTU.

http://www.myuvc.com/default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=241800&ssid=96514&vnf=1

Call the resort. The above link has the numbers and a faq.

Bill

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VPA/Elite/Gold
BBB,

Any advice or guidance anyone has is greatly appreciated.

What Bill said...

There is little if any value if you try to sell this on the open market.
Your best bet is to relinquish the membership back to UVC and get out from under the maintenance fees.

bbb

Henryboy1

Reaction score
Also scammed

I was also scammed by Villa group at Villa del palmar, i would love to get out of this mess as what i was sold is not even close to being a saving or even usable. I have seen some posts here regarding getting out of it but not much has been affective. if anyone has a solution, please help!!

Henry..

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I was also scammed by Villa group at Villa del palmar, i would love to get out of this mess as what i was sold is not even close to being a saving or even usable. I have seen some posts here regarding getting out of it but not much has been affective. if anyone has a solution, please help!!

Henry..
See post #6 in this thread about contacting Profeco. There's a link in that post that you can click to get the info you'll need.

T2man

Reaction score
They'll try to keep your deposit

I just went though the cancellation process the in March 2014. We were impulsive and got caught up in their hype. That night, I did some online research after signing a contract. I notified my sales agent of my intent to cancel the day after we signed. She brought in her supervisor to our meeting and then she said the only way they could "help" us out to cancel was for us to pay off the entire security deposit of almost $8000. My jaw dropped and I asked them about the five day cancellation policy. They said it only applied to the rest of the contract but didn't apply to the deposit--TOTAL BS!! I then told them I'd talk to my wife and reconsider our options.

That night, I visited this web board and saw the threads where people were successful in getting their security deposit back. I drafted a cancellation notice and the next day I went to drop it off. They asked me to return later in the day with my wife, contract, ID's and credit card for a meeting with one of the supervisors. I had a feeling they were going to try to get me to sign a new contract so I didn't bring any of the requested items except for the cancellation notice. At the meeting, he was very belligerent and threatened legal action if I didn't pay the rest of the deposit. He said, I signed a waiver to the five day cancellation period for the deposit and that Mexican law required that I forfeit the deposit-TOTAL BS!! I told him I spoke to the PROFECO office in Cabo and they advised that Mexican law say's that I'm entitled to a full refund if I cancel within the five days. He said Profeco wasn't a legitimate organization and that the only way he could "help" me was to pay the rest of the deposit and to sign a new contract forfeiting the deposit.-TOTAL BS!!! I gave him our cancellation letter and left his office. I also sent a letter from the Fed Ex location in Cabo.

I tried to not have this situation ruin the rest of our vacation but it was very stressful. We returned home on day three of the five day grace period and I then emailed and faxed the same letter to memberservices@resortcom.com. I also sent an additional letter to ResortCom via Fed Ex.

It's now day five of my cancellation period and I just noticed that my credit card account no longer reflects the "pending" deposit---YEAH!!!

My only suggestion is to NOT go to the presentation without prior research. Their only goal is their commission and they'll say anything for it. If you decide to cancel, DO NOT go back to the timeshare office, they'll only try to get your security deposit and they will ruin your vacation. Just head down to the Fed Ex office and send in your letter. I followed up with emails, faxes and additional copies via Fed Ex. I don't know which notice got the job done but I felt it was better to just scatter gun the notices and thankfully they stuck.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFORMATION ON THE CANCELLATION PROCESS!!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That night, I visited this web board and saw the threads where people were successful in getting their security deposit back. . . .I told him I spoke to the PROFECO office in Cabo and they advised that Mexican law say's that I'm entitled to a full refund if I cancel within the five days. ...
It's now day five of my cancellation period and I just noticed that my credit card account no longer reflects the "pending" deposit---YEAH!!!

My only suggestion is to NOT go to the presentation without prior research. Their only goal is their commission and they'll say anything for it. If you decide to cancel, DO NOT go back to the timeshare office, they'll only try to get your security deposit and they will ruin your vacation. Just head down to the Fed Ex office and send in your letter. I followed up with emails, faxes and additional copies via Fed Ex. I don't know which notice got the job done but I felt it was better to just scatter gun the notices and thankfully they stuck.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFORMATION ON THE CANCELLATION PROCESS!!
Thank you so much for reporting back with your experience. I know it will help others in a similar situation if they find TUG in time!

Congratulations!:)

missantonia

Reaction score
[merged]

This may be a duplicate post, the one I was writing seemed to disappear. Please excuse this if it is redundant, I do not have much experience with blogs.

I need help terminating a contract that I signed with Villa Group while I was in Cabo. I signed it April 2, 2014 and from what I understand the 5 day period does not include Sat or Sun? So I believe that I am still within that window. I just do not know what steps i should take. I cannot find anything in my paperwork that explains the process, but I expect that is not an oversight.

My contract is for Villa Preferred Access Club membership and apparently also for Interval International. I was told that my home resort would be Villa Del Arco, that is where the tour was. I have found out this is not so, and indeed it is not in my contract. I was not told about an annual fee from II. I was not told there was a fee for "banking" my points. I could go on and on. I want OUT.

As I am in the 5 day period, can anyone please please give me step by step instructions on this process? Unfortunately I made the deposit in cash, not having brought a credit card with me. I paid $6278 cash. I know this was impulsive and foolish, and I am beyond humiliated that I accepted their flowing cocktail service and fell for their pitch. Do I have any chance of recovering my deposit?

Please, I would be so grateful for advice and instruction. I am desperate and running out of time.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

missantonia

Reaction score
[merged]

How would on "track down" the senior verification loan officer?
I have a similar story. I was able to FEDEX the cancellation letter to Contructora del Arcos in Cabo on the 5th day, and I have the receipt. But thats the only letter I sent, just one. I have sent a letter to profeco with all the appropriate attached documents to start a communication, and I am going to send a letter to memberservices@villagroup. The email to member services I hope will be an announcement of the FEDEX letter that I DID send on time,although the email itself is a day late. Do you think that will suffice?

My biggest concern, and one I have not heard anyone address, is that I made a CASH deposit of $6278.00. Yes, I am humiliated and an idiot but yes, I did make a wire transfer into their bank account, which was provided to me by the agent. Has anyone had any experience with this? And how do I request that they refund me? Cashiers check? Money order? Am I screwed?

Please..any suggestion or help would be more than welcome :(

missantonia

Reaction score
Experience with CASH REFUND anyone? [MERGED]

So I have joined the band of idiots who fell for a Villa Group/Constructora del Arcos timeshare load of crap while I was in Cabo last week. On the 5th day after signing I had the good fortune of finding this site and quickly wrote a cancellation letter and got it to FedEx in time. Thank you guys for that! Here is my concern: my deposit was left in cash, not debit, not credit card. Im ashamed to say that I wired $6278.00 directly into their bank account which was provided by my agent (for lack of a better word), located in Carlsbad, California. When I wrote the letter rescinding the contract and requesting a full refund of my deposit, I did not stipulate a method of reinmursement, not knowing what was the usual protocol, and I didn't want to suggest something that they could use as an excuse to not do it. Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar situation? Any kind of comment or advice is most welcome. Thank you

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You've asked the same question here 3 times now. I don't know that anyone here has the answer. Have you asked the sales office? You've rescinded. They can't do any more to you. You certainly are not going to fall for any of their lies. Get hold of the sales manager, or financial office. Demand an immediate refund. Then specify where to have it sent. If you want it to your bank, fine, If you have a PayPal account, that would work too. If they send a certified cashier's check drawn on a U.S. Bank. OK.

Most people would have used a credit card for the down payment, and have the ability to challenge the charge- or even close the account. But usually, in time, (it can take 45 days) the account is credited. I suspect yours will be too, in due time. But there is nothing I can write or say that will quiet your concern.

Keep us posted.

Jim

missantonia

Reaction score
Oops party foul

So sorry about the duplicate posts, like i said not much experience.I thought the first two were buried so I started a new thread. Kudos to the moderators, they are really on the ball! I'm just anxiety ridden and have no patience-
Thanks for the advice, I'll do it. Carry on.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you paid with credit card and properly rescinded within proscribed time you would win hands down.

No personal experience, gut feel is you are going to play Hell getting cash back. Based on several encounters with sales weasels there and posts here.

Stick with Perfeco. DO NOT get involved with any third party that is going to solve your problems for an up front fee or similar!

Keep us updated on this thread, it does not cost anything other than a couple minutes of your time.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Missantonia, What Paco was trying to say is to get theses people involved. This is the Mexican Gov't Office of Consumer Affairs. They (marginally) oversee the Mexican Timeshare industry. Can't hurt. Might help. http://www.profeco.gob.mx/english.htm

Jim

missantonia

Reaction score
Paco- yes, I suspected that not using a credit card would be my downfall. Its shocking how normally level headed people get swept up in the moment. Can you explain what you mean by third party? Do you mean companies that claim they can help rid me of this mess, like Mexican Timeshare Solutions? Are they no good either?? Thanks for taking the time to comment

Jim- I have written to Profeco, and they responded immediately, basically just reiterating the laws and saying that if Villa Group does not cooperate then to report back. If they do not refund my deposit, I wonder, do I have the right to take them to court in Mexico? Given I have a translator, is there any hope in the world that I might win? I have no time restrictions or anything to prevent me from doing so. Besides, I could use another week in Mexico at this point.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paco- yes, I suspected that not using a credit card would be my downfall. Its shocking how normally level headed people get swept up in the moment. Can you explain what you mean by third party? Do you mean companies that claim they can help rid me of this mess, like Mexican Timeshare Solutions? Are they no good either?? Thanks for taking the time to comment

Jim- I have written to Profeco, and they responded immediately, basically just reiterating the laws and saying that if Villa Group does not cooperate then to report back. If they do not refund my deposit, I wonder, do I have the right to take them to court in Mexico? Given I have a translator, is there any hope in the world that I might win? I have no time restrictions or anything to prevent me from doing so. Besides, I could use another week in Mexico at this point.

The basic Mantra here is if someone/anyone cold calls and there is an upfront fee required then grab the Vaseline jar.

However, if you contact a duly licensed attorney he will probably want an upfront retainer. Exceptions are personal injury attorneys and class action.

There have been some posts here on working with Mexican attorneys, but I don't recall outcome. You could try searching.

The other thing to consider is collecting if you do get a judgment.

At this point, I would stick with Profeco as you generally have at least two years or more to bring lawsuits although state statute of limitations.

Also. keep posting here. We have some super Sleuths like "RX8" that come up with great documentation.

Keep in mind mañana is way of life South of the Border and those sales vultures down there make Wyndham sales weasels look like amateurs.

cheyenne

Reaction score
Hi. I have been mislead by the sales staff and Villa Del Arco/palmar and am trying to resolve it but am not having much success. I do not really want to post publically my situation so can Jeff please contact me?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do not really want to post publically my situation so can Jeff please contact me?
Who is Jeff? If it another person who posted in this thread, you can click on their blue user name over to the left and send them a private message.

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VPA/Elite/Gold
Hi. I have been mislead by the sales staff and Villa Del Arco/palmar and am trying to resolve it but am not having much success. I do not really want to post publically my situation so can Jeff please contact me?

Jeff no longer posts here regarding the Villa Group. It is very unlikely that you will hear from him.

If you have questions/issues ask them. There are some here familiar with the resorts that might be able to help you.

bbb

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) I'm not saying it...UVC is saying it on their website. I've never done it so I can't validate that it works. The following was lifted from the Ask a Question section of the website. I can't link to it as you must log into your account via the ResortCom site...go the the last tab "Ask a Question" - this content is on about page 14.

"UVC: Contract/Membership Cancellation
Answer ID 68 | Published 02/06/2005 08:29 PM | Updated 07/02/2008 10:31 AM

UVC: What is the procedure for cancelling a contract?
Contract Cancellation

UVC does not cancel contracts. If you wish to cancel, your only option is to surrender your week back to the developer and lose the money that has been paid toward your account. In order to surrender loan must be paid in full and all maintenance fees must be current."

2) I have no clue what happens to a UVC membership should you die. There have been several threads here on TUG about the subject where others with far more legal expertise than I have weighed in. Search for it.

Safe travels.

bbb

Has anyone been told by Universal Vacations Club that in additiona to the above requirements (purchased paid off & maintenance fees current) that an additional fee is required based on the number of years left in the contract to be canceled and either the unit size or the most recent maintenance fee for the unit. For example cancelling the remaining 15 years of a one bedroom contract would incur a $540 surrender fee.

Last edited:

tboe

Reaction score
Hi. So my partner and I recently purchased with the villa group. We were still in our 5 day period of being able to cancel. I called the welcome call center and they directed me to the resort. I spoke with Emmanuel Galicia, the cancelation manager, and he told me he couldn't do anything because I activated my account when I called the welcome center. I called the welcome center back and they said they would send an email about me wanting to cancel and I would have to email member services to tell them I was canceling and the reason why. About a week later, I finally get an email from Emmanuel and he stated the correct way to cancel which I had done exactly. He then said he hadn't heard from my partner so he would have to confirm with her that she was aware of and agreed with the cancelation. She of course did, but then he emailed us back and said the request was invalid because I did not CC my partner in the cancelation email to member services so they will not proceed with canceling our membership. HELP!! Is there anything we can do? I've emailed member services and have tried calling to speak with someone higher than Emmanuel but am not having any luck. Should I contact Profeco?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Should I contact Profeco?

Of course you should contact Profeco. You have nothing to lose by asking for their help. You were certainly given the runaround from the sales staff. Was there anything stated in your contract about how to rescind? This is the first time anyone has reported being told that they could cancel by email--usually rescinding is done via a letter with proof that it was mailed within the rescission period.

tboe

Reaction score
Hi. So my partner and I recently purchased with the villa group. We were still in our 5 day period of being able to cancel. I called the welcome call center and they directed me to the resort. I spoke with Emmanuel Galicia, the cancelation manager, and he told me he couldn't do anything because I activated my account when I called the welcome center. I called the welcome center back and they said they would send an email about me wanting to cancel and I would have to email member services to tell them I was canceling and the reason why. About a week later, I finally get an email from Emmanuel and he stated the correct way to cancel which I had done exactly. He then said he hadn't heard from my partner so he would have to confirm with her that she was aware of and agreed with the cancelation. She of course did, but then he emailed us back and said the request was invalid because I did not CC my partner in the cancelation email to member services so they will not proceed with canceling our membership. HELP!! Is there anything we can do? I've emailed member services and have tried calling to speak with someone higher than Emmanuel but am not having any luck. Should I contact Profeco?

So after many phone calls and emails, we finally got assistance with our cancellation and were assured that it would be finalized by January 10. Dave Smith was very helpful. Thanks for your response :)