• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MP Owner needing to rent

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying hard not to make this a solicitation, as I really just want some information. (Perhaps keeping dates out will help?)

My wife and I own at the Mayan Palace. We didn't think we were going to be able to use our TS weeks this year, so we booked both our regular and VF faire weeks for our relatives' use.

It seems now we are able to go. My question is, as a Mayan Palace owner, is there any restriction on securing a MP (or possibly Grand Mayan, Grand Luxxe, etc.) week's rental? As an owner, can we rent a week from someone else?

Again, I'm not trying to solicit weeks, just want to know if this is even possible, or if MP prohibits this type of transaction.

Thanks!
Tom

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Mayan Palace has no restrictions on owners renting from other owners. If you have any RCI deposits, you can use those to book a unit via exchange - owners are not restricted by the 1-in-5 use and can use any deposit they have to get a MP, GM, etc. (I used a Buganvilias week that was about to expire to get a Grand Bliss last year). You can't buy the Extra Vacations though.

Check the TUG and Red Week ads and you can probably find one. Ebay often has rentals available too.

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pittle is correct. You can use a deposit ( other than a MP one ) in RCI or SFX to exchange into the MP or GM BUT you cannot use a deposited MP week. Vida will BLOCK the exchange and will not allow it. We were told by reservations that this is a new rule by Vida within the last year. This also applies to II if this is one of your exchange companies according to your contract.

We wish you the best of luck with your rental option. Hope it all works out for you. :hi:

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! I remembered something about RCI's rule regarding the use of your own deposit to get into the MP. That's probably what I was thinking of.

I'll start looking for a rental! :)

Thanks again,

Tom

Cheryl17

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can use a deposit ( other than a MP one ) in RCI or SFX to exchange into the MP or GM BUT you cannot use a deposited MP week. Vida will BLOCK the exchange and will not allow it. We were told by reservations that this is a new rule by Vida within the last year.

I wonder if you were given inaccurate info. for RCI. For the Mayan Palace resorts, the additional info. section on RCI's website still states, "Mayan owners traveling to any Mayan properties, must deposit a week to exchange. Extra vacations to Mayan Resorts are not allowed."

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I called RCI about the statement Cheryl quoted above when I was making my GB reservations last year. I did not know if it meant I had to deposit a MP week or any resort. At the time, it was either. I did not have any MP weeks deposited, but did have enough weeks points that I had combined from a Buganvilias hotel unit deposit with a few from either MP or Buganvilias a couple of years ago that I used to get the GB.

In the past, I have been able to use MP deposited weeks to go to MP or GM with RCI. I especially liked getting GM units. The MF + exchange fee made it a good deal for a GM. We did exchange into MP also a time or two.

SFX does not let you use a MP deposit to go to any of the Mayan Resorts. I learned that the hard way when I needed to deposit some weeks that I was not going to be able to use. I wanted to use them the next year at Puerto Penasco when family was visiting so that we could have multiple units, but was told no. I have not deposited with SFX since.

Now we just own where we want to go.

Last edited:

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI has no problem exchanging for you if you want to use a MP week. It is VIDA that is blocking it. I have the points required and I see the weeks we need BUT VIDA has blocked the exchange. So frustrating when I see the weeks we need sitting right there. When I go to confirm the exchange the page comes up stating that the Resort rules prevent me from making the exchange. I have even called RCI Mayan reservation line. No deal! I wonder if I combine some points if the system would take it. Any thoughts!:wall:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No experience on your specific question but in general the most restrictive/ least desirable aspect of the deposit stays when combined. So if you have a week that is restricted from exchanging into Disney due to the geo restriction it would stay with the combined deposit. If you have a deposit that gets an internal exchange discount and combine it with one that doesn't then you lose the discount when combined. My feeling is that as long as part of the combined is restricted from trading in, you would basically taint the whole combined deposit.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI has no problem exchanging for you if you want to use a MP week. It is VIDA that is blocking it. I have the points required and I see the weeks we need BUT VIDA has blocked the exchange. So frustrating when I see the weeks we need sitting right there. When I go to confirm the exchange the page comes up stating that the Resort rules prevent me from making the exchange. I have even called RCI Mayan reservation line. No deal! I wonder if I combine some points if the system would take it. Any thoughts!:wall:

That is an RCI rule. I have exchanged through II 3 times in 4 years to the Grand Luxxe.

rpennisi

Reaction score
That is an RCI rule. I have exchanged through II 3 times in 4 years to the Grand Luxxe.

We have exchanged twice to GL through II in the past 3 years.

I have been blocked, as travs2 has, by RCI to make exchanges that have visible availability for the same reason: that the Resort rules prevent making the exchange.

However, why would RCI care, as long as they get their exchange fees, whether you make those trades? Membership and exchange fees are how they make their money, right?

There has to be pressure (contractually?) from Grupo Vidanta that is making this happen.

I continue to belong to both RCI and II because they each have usefulness, but would like to really know why there are these differences with Grupo Vidanta.

II somehow got a better deal in making exchanges for their members.