• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan to Grand Bliss upgrade - NOT

Juggler

Reaction score
Newbie here, first post. I hope it's the right area in the forum, sorry if not.

Background - my parents purchased MP a long time ago. I upgraded to GM 1BR (1 week + 1 vacation fare). We use both weeks at Riviera Maya (Maintenance fee ~$770, we do have waiver of mandatory maintenance in our contract but always use the weeks, so...)

Today went to member update and got a hard sell by 4-5 people to upgrade to Grand Bliss 2BR. Started with a huge # like 150K... then equity... blah blah blah... all said and done down to $12K and change. It was a confusing offer, 2 weeks + 4 weeks that were to be used as a "marketing incentive"

For the marketing incentive they claim the only way they can get "prospects" to the property since it's not a hotel is for members to give weeks, then they fly golgers all expenses paid and with a 68% conversion rate they get an average of $80K contract purchases... for which they will happily pay me $3000 per week guaranteed or $12000 per year.

BUT my maintenance fee would zoom from $700 to $1700/wk... their answer here is that it gets kept in some kind of "lifestyle dollar account" where I can spend this money 1:1 in their version of amazon.com to buy appliances, etc but NOT to be used on airfaire.

My questions to the group: does anyone ever get paid this guaranteed amount for their weeks? Does this "lifestyle" website for purchasing things really exist?

I declined because I'm buying myself... what? more debt, a higher maintenance fee for a room with nicer furnishings?

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't own any of the grupo Mayan timeshares, but I think you were right in your instinct to say no. I am sure others will chime in with details, but it doesn't make sense that they would charge you $12k just to pay it back to you again. Stay where you are and enjoy what you already have at a decent MF.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
When it sounds too good to be true, it is. Good choice to pass on this - you would not get any cash from them for rentals and who knows how long they will keep whatever program they were describing to you. They change things all the time.

Enjoy your Grand Mayan - they are nice!

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, nobody gets paid the "guaranteed" amount for their weeks. It isn't in writing in the contract, and it won't happen. If they could rent them for that much, why not do it themselves!

The "lifestyle website" - another developer has been trying something like this. The actual process and benefit is unclear, and it seems like mostly smoke and mirrors.

Trust nothing unless it is in clear writing in the actual contract. If they won't give give the contract to take and review, walk away. If they tell you the deal is "only today" walk away. If you decide later that you want the deal, it'll be back.

saywhat

Reaction score
Sounds like you're not buying it which is the right move. The Mayan will not stop pitching the investment, they can't. They are responsible for selling a certain amount at each resort and they will never hit their targets without the rental/resale pitch, they can repackage it anyway they want but it's never going to work with the returns they need to pitch to appeal peoples greed.

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The rental pitch to us is usually a credit on the purchase, lowering the out of pocket expenses. We are given the names of firms to help rent out our weeks, but told not to expect them to rent.

saywhat

Reaction score
Unusual they told you not expect anything. Semi-honest rep. Not too many of those at the Mayan.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
No matter what they tell you about rentals - when you READ the contract - there will be a statement that you are not buying because of promised rental income. There is also a statement that the company will not rent or resell your weeks for you.

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unusual they told you not expect anything. Semi-honest rep. Not too many of those at the Mayan.

We've been told that for years. Also, as pittle stated, you sign off that you do not need to rent out the unit to pay for it when signing the contract. I think that some people hear how much rent can be charged and expect it to happen automatically.

rpennisi

Reaction score
No matter what they tell you about rentals - when you READ the contract - there will be a statement that you are not buying because of promised rental income. There is also a statement that the company will not rent or resell your weeks for you.

Phyllis,
As always, you have the answers for anything Grupo Vidanta.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Virtually all sales contracts I have read, be it Mexico, lower 48, Hawaii, etc. all have a page or two with some 10-15 specific items to initial drafted by Developer Philadelphia lawyers.

They include not an investment, no mention of rentals, don't believe anything sales weasel told you as is commission hungry compulsive liar-tell what victim wants to hear scum bag.

Obviously, not a quote but couched in legalese!