• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba Resale Value: Surf or Ocean

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Ocean Club OV Gold resale seems to be about 15.5k. The Surf Club GV Gold about 17.5-18k.

The price difference is not that much. Any opinions as to what the better long term investiment is? (keeping resale value, trading power) Is the OV more important or the age of the resort?

Thx

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
Marriott does a good job maintaining its resorts. Ocean Club was getting some refurbishment last September when we were there.

Our take is that Surf Club is very nice, but we found the pool area to be very crowded -- chair-to-chair so to speak. Lazy river is nice, but not spectacular -- not worth the price difference. Pool bar was nicer at Surf when we were there -- better food and setting -- and I commented on that to Ocean Club management. Surf does have the in-villa washer/dryer.

Ocean Club is smaller, and seems a bit more relaxed. It is closer to the beach overall. We debated your very question and ended up still sold on Ocean over Surf.

I would not buy Aruba as a regular trader, maybe once in a while or if plans change. The annual fees are too high to make it a good value for primarily trading. It does draw well, including an AC which may tip the scale somewhat for some.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
The Ocean Club OV Gold resale seems to be about 15.5k. The Surf Club GV Gold about 17.5-18k.

Surf Club is all 2BRs (with a few 3BRs)

Is the price you are quoting for OC a 1 or 2BR unit - there are mostly 1BR units at OC.

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are you getting these resale values? A GV gold Surf is lower than that.

(OC price was for a 2 bedroom OV Gold.)

A couple of the standard websites (redweek, etc) I tried a search on tug and could not come up with anything for Gold Surf resales. Do you think a GV Surf Gold is cheaper? Do you know what a OV Surf Gold would resale for?

I currently have a contract on a MSE and waiting for a ROFR decision there, but we are also looking for an Aruba now. (I was originally looking for a NVC but my better half wants summer Aruba.)

Thanks for the replies.

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim,

I recently picked up my Aruba Surf GV 2BR gold for $12,500. I think you could easily get one for $13K or maybe a little higher. There is one on ebay right now bid up to $14K.

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. That is a big difference. Thank you for the information.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I decided to buy Platinum but I could have bought a Gold OV at the SC for 14,500 a few months ago.

For trading purcposes view doesn't matter- it only matters when you are there. The OC and SC each have their fans; I think the rooms are a little nicer at the SC overall and the washer/dryer is a nice plus. I also like the taller buildings (better view). Given the height of the trees many of the rooms at the OC will have their "oceanview" largely blockes. The SC is larger but I didn't find the pool too crowded and they will be enlarging the seating area to accomodate the added villas being built. We were there in January during busy season and it did not feel crowded, but that's just my opinion.

I also loved the lazy river and, while still available for use by OC owners, I have heard conflicting reposts as to whether or not that will continue. There is talk about building another adults only pool at the SC, but I don't know if that has definitely been decided upon.

For several reasons we liked the SC better- but others feel just as strongly about the OC. Whatever you decide you can't go wrong. Just don't be confused by "asking price" and selling price.

K Hines

Reaction score
Difference between OC vs. SC

Just split 2 weeks between these 2 properties. Both are great.

Surf Club- smaller master suites. In room laundry. Nice ameneties in rooms. Seems colder (not temp, just feeling). Too many unattended kids. They think the lazy river is a lap pool with current for going against the current. They will be adding another pool out towards the ocean when current buildings are done. This, along with moving the rock getty off in front of the beach will ease some of the people pressure.

Ocean Club- much larger master suite. shared laundry on the floors. Nice amenities in rooms. Totally renovated over the last 2 years. Quiter pool area. Just feels more homey to us.

I have stayed at both, like both a lot. Owned at Ocean Club. Would buy at Ocean club again. Would not own at Surf Club. Just my opinion.

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the OC have garden views? If so, does anyone have any idea how much an Ocean Club GV Gold would run on resale?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Does the OC have garden views? If so, does anyone have any idea how much an Ocean Club GV Gold would run on resale?

OV and OF only, although the lower floors esp. in the inside of the "U" shape seem more like a GV to me, but it is considered an OV.

Last edited:

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
I believe the preferred OV locations are inside the U on the upper floors. Outside of the U you see the Surf or Stellaris.

Previous poster is correct the only contractual views are OV and OF.