• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nightmare story of a man and his dealings with Timeshare Resale

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Larry6417

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone needs a TUG membership! :)

And a hug. Unfortunately crooks are members of the digital age. Senior citizens are frequently repeat victims.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Potential link to independent "Third Party" confirmation of the TUG recommendations that seems to need to be posted daily

The more threads posted increase the likelihood the potential victims inquiring will land here

e.bram

Reaction score
The prime scammers are the credit card companies who allow the charges which they must know are fraudulent by the number of complaints the must receive!

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Shut them down - cut off the funds at the source

The prime scammers are the credit card companies who allow the charges which they must know are fraudulent by the number of complaints the must receive!

e.bram - You are right on with this comment! I am amazed that these groups are able to obtain - and maintain - active credit card acceptance accounts. The rules for those are usually quite strict and with a few complaints/charge backs they are often terminated or suspended. Why so many seem to be given a pass - card users told the charge is OK despite the many bogus claims made to get the mark to OK the charge - that on the surface it seems the red flags should wave and the clearing house look deeper into what is being done by these companies.

Without that ability to take credit cards they would have a far tougher time getting those upfront fees extracted from the unsuspecting and often desperate timeshare owners looking to find a new owner for their week(s).

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
John:
Far tougher? I say IMPOSSIBLE!

They can be extremely convincing & get people to wire money or get money orders or checks or even Western Union - but it makes it much harder and less likely they will succeed. I'd bet 60% plus would be gone with that simple move by the cc processors to protect card holders.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Cracking Down On Timeshare Rip-Offs.

This guy was hit by upfront fee scammers multiple times, and some "advocacy" groups as well!
Whoa !

Maybe that hypothetical nightmare scenario of timeshare bamboozles & hornswoggles isn't so hypothetical after all.

I am amazed that these groups are able to obtain - and maintain - active credit card acceptance accounts. The rules for those are usually quite strict and with a few complaints/charge backs they are often terminated or suspended. Why so many seem to be given a pass - card users told the charge is OK despite the many bogus claims made to get the mark to OK the charge - that on the surface it seems the red flags should wave and the clearing house look deeper into what is being done by these companies.

Without that ability to take credit cards they would have a far tougher time getting those upfront fees extracted from the unsuspecting and often desperate timeshare owners looking to find a new owner for their week(s).

It wouldn't hurt if the state attorney generals that are currently going after the up-front fee hornswogglers & bamboozlers also sent pointed letters to Visa & MasterCharge & Discover Card & American Express.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

prickler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fool me once, shame on you...

Fool me twice, shame on me...

Fool me three times, are you serious? :eek:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
We actually had a meeting just this week where I asked the very question of why they simply dont go after the merchant account holder (after all, its highly unlikely that all these fly by night operations open their own merchant accounts).

a good answer (well, lets say a satisfactory answer) was not provided.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How's this for an answer: The credit card companies are making a lot of money off these transactions!

prickler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know con men are good, and I'd be lying if I said I've never been the sucker. But to fall for basically the same scam 3 times? No wonder these guys won't go away.

mecllap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately there are gullible people, and really bad people in this world. I'm actually pretty smart, but have been sucked into bad decisions more than once (nothing huge, tho -- altho I did buy my first TS from the developer, but I actually don't regret that, because it got me into Timesharing, which I really enjoy, and may not have gotten into otherwise. And I love the resort. The sales experience was actually fairly pleasant, not annoying, altho I have since gone to some really annoying ones [and of course, not purchased] ). There are bullies in the adult world, too; I suspect that many TS sales people were bullies as kids, and the resale field seems to have a lot of them (I expect there are some good folks in the resale business -- the company I got my DVC points from seems to be fine -- I would want to have their help if/when I ever needed to sell).