• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using your timeshare mgmt company to rent your unit??

queenofthehive

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used their timeshare management company to rent their week for them? My mgmt company will rent my week with a 60/40 commission split (owner will get 60% and mgmt will get 40%). You do not get paid until after the week is rented. It comes to about the same amount of the going price if I was to rent on my own. Of course, I did forget to ask about what happens if my unit does not rent (out of luck - I guess)... What do you think - would I be better off tryinng to rent it myself? I was hoping to trade thru RCI but I don't think I will have enough TPUs for the place I would like to trade into so I thought renting my be the next best option...

VivianLynne

Reaction score
If the place you want to exchange to is more than 30TPUs, you can deposit 2 years worth of weeks and combine the points ($99 charge). When you book your dream week, you might have "change" left over for a second vacation.

Yes, you would be paying extra fees. But you would not have to rent out your July 4th week(s). If you wait to combine as you are booking your dream week vacation, the "change" would have life of 2 years.

If you deposit 3 weeks, you could combine to create a Mega-trade number. You might get 2 dream weeks - esp if you wanted to do a Hawaii trip (2 weeks due to airfare or travel distance).

CherylH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mgt. company's share of the rent

I have rented a few times through the resort and their take has been 22-28% (depending on which resort I was renting). So 40% seems high to me. Several times my units rented and it was no hassle to get the money. However, 2 times it did not rent--sorry, nothing returned, and once they only rented the weekend, not the full week, and so even my maintenance fee was not covered.

I am encouraged to call the resort a week before to find out if it has not rented, so that I might use it myself or offer to friends, but I have never done that.

Recently I rented some units on my own, and this year was very successful in renting them. I priced the weeks lower than what I found others asking, and advertised about 6 months before the week of use.

I hope you get a good outcome, whatever you choose.

queenofthehive

TUG Member
Reaction score
Viv - My timeshare is an "every other" year one. We go on even years. Do you know how that would work?

CheylH- Yes, I am glad you mentioned that about the commission - I am sooo clueless... Also, I never would of imagined calling the timeshare company a week before so family/friends could use it if it wasn't rented. I thought once I gave it to the timeshare mgmt co. to rent my week was gone. I might try renting on my own but I a lot to learn first.:)

Thank you both for all your help!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not Viv, but I can provide the answer.

You can deposit your week up to 2 years in advance. The resort may require you to prepay those MF.

Plus, a deposit is good for 2 years after your checkin date. When you combine deposits, the new "big" number has a new expiration of 2 years from that combining date.

queenofthehive

TUG Member
Reaction score
vacationhopeful - okay, let me see if understand correctly: My use years are July 2012 and July 2014. RCI values my use year at 30 TPU. I join RCI on 10/1/11 and deposit both years for a total of 60 TPUs. I use 36 points for DVC in July 2012 and have a total of 24 left. I can use those 24 TPU points until July 2014 - right? OR do they expire 10/1/13? Thank you!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
vacationhopeful - okay, let me see if understand correctly: My use years are July 2012 and July 2014. RCI values my use year at 30 TPU. I join RCI on 10/1/11 and deposit both years for a total of 60 TPUs. I use 36 points for DVC in July 2012 and have a total of 24 left. I can use those 24 TPU points until July 2014 - right? OR do they expire 10/1/13? Thank you!

ONE. What you should do is JOIN TUG for $15/yearly. That gives you the Sightings thread which allows to read other members who have posted recent exchanges that they see on RCI and II. So, if you are looking for DVC (a favorite sighting which other members post), you would see them more so when lots of other members post these. And when you are poking around looking for something neat, you would return the favor, by posting those on the Sightings thread.

TWO. Join RCI and deposit your 2012 week. You will get maximum TPU points at 9 or more months out from checkin days. Expires in July 2014.

THREE. Follow the Sightings thread. Search RCI yourself by asking for the search options of ALL DEPOSITS. Then start to deposit the 2014 week - I would suspect that will take you paying the estimated 2014 MFs. When you deposit that week, it will expire 2 years after checkin (July 2016). When you find that exchange, combine the two deposits (and that would expire 2 years from that date - say Nov 2013), exchange, and the 24 TPUs would expire Nov 2013.

Hope this helps. I KNOW the combining function gives you 2 years FROM that date. It resets it up or down from your original deposit date - for 2 years life.