• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paypal policy on timeshare rental disputes from my account manager

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I posted an email I received from Paypal that they assigned me an account management team to assist me with my Paypal account. Today, they called me to see if they could be of help on anything.

I did want to clarify their dispute resolution process especially for last minute transactions. My account manager said that they do not get involved in disputes regarding intangible goods/services like timeshare rentals. If a buyer disputes the charge of a timeshare rental, then the claim will be denied. This is different than we have been saying on TUG.

The only claims that remain are those that are made with the consumer's credit card issuer. Then, Paypal acts as an information provider regarding the transaction. The normal charge back policies of the credit card issuer and merchant banking system apply.

I am very pleased with this policy. It is exactly as I would hope it would be as a merchant.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The dispute resolution process at Paypal is so bureaucratic that I prefer not to use Paypal. If I purchase something that I cannot use a credit card directly and have to use Paypal, I use my Amex, and if there is a problem, I dispute directly through Amex and completely avoid the crappy Paypal dispute process. Amex has no problem processing such disputes directly without having to go through Paypal's dispute process first.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks Boca - that's great info.!

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the same experience, too. Since paypal is so hard to deal with, I dispute the problem thru my cc company( AmExp) and got my money back last June. No paypal involved from what I saw.

Every time I call paypal to ask a question, it is always a waste of time. They do not want to tell you how they charge you/get no fee transaction by check or something. I gave up calling them a while ago.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
A "eCheck" payment on ebay is actually an ACH bank transfer - there is no fee for that (when using the "personal payment" method.)

But with a credit card payment, Paypal passes on the credit card merchant charge to you + a fee. In other words, when you use a credit card ANYWHERE the credit card company (Visa, AMEX, etc.) charges the merchant a fee - someone has to pay that fee.

Last edited:

exyeh

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info. Is there a limit on using echeck?
Plus, someone sent me a rental payment in Feb. using his bank account and charged me a little fee, I am satisfied with that. But in June paypal told me that they are going to charge 2.9% fees on all the checks as cc payment starting July.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited: