• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Las Vegas-Which car rental for best price?

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I always use Alamo with coupons when renting cars, but I noticed that my upcoming rental for Vegas in two weeks is pretty high ($237). Payless and EZ Rentals are about $50 less. Has anyone used either of these companies? I don't want to get to the rental center and have a problem. I usually do the check in online the day before just the same as with airline flights. It saves so much time, but I am not sure if online check in applies at LAS. We haven't been there in about 2 years. :ponder:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Do you have a Costco account? If so, try Costco travel. Many of us find we get the best prices there.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I no longer have a Costco membership since there are no locations near me. I used their discount code until the recent website changes. Thanks for the reply.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
check out autoslash.com

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Also, www.sixt.com

Richard

P.S. Do a Tug search for previous posts on these two car rental sites.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Prices change a lot in Vegas. It is about supply and demand. If something is going on like a convention and they are short rental cars, the price goes way up. One week later, the price might be 50 percent less.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Another consideration with Las Vegas is to make sure the company you go with is at the car rental center. If it is not (Fox is one company I know of), you not only have to take a bus from the terminal to the rental center, you also then need to take another bus from the rental center to the rental car agency. When returning, you have to do the whole thing in reverse.

You can quickly check which companies are at the center at this website.

Otherwise, I would use any company -- for a basic rental the service is basically the same so I would just go w/ the lowest price.

Kurt

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
FYI, we now have Uber and Lyft in Vegas so those are options if you don't want to drive/rent a car.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Where did you get THAT info? Uber and Lyft are not yet available. They are still going through the regulatory process and have not been permitted yet. Maybe by October something. And then there will be a surprise for all those drivers who think they just have to register with Uber or Lyft and then turn on the app. Nope. They will need a Police Permit. Don't know how much that is, but most of them are $40., plus a half a day's wait at Cameron Street to get it.

So don't promise something you can't deliver. And either read the newspaper or pay more attention when you watch the news.

Fern

FYI, we now have Uber and Lyft in Vegas so those are options if you don't want to drive/rent a car.

Bob B

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To answer the main questions, you will likely get a car with much more mileage at EZ and Payless than at Alamo. You will also get very high pressure tactics at the counter (I don't believe there is a way to avoid the counter with those two) for insurance, buying the tank of gas, road hazard etc. As long as you can stick with NO as your answers to their questions, you may be fine.

Both of those are at the Rental Car Center so you won't need multiple buses. Given the choice, I'd take EZ over Payless but with either one, compare the price you booked to what they tell you as they may try to sneak in some of those extras as "required". Don't buy it and stick to your guns. Is it worth the $50 savings? That's a tough question that only you can answer. How valuable is your time in Vegas? With Alamo, you can check in on-line and pretty much avoid any counter hassles.

Oh, and if you find the codes for Costco rentals, you can use them and book directly on the Alamo site. Never heard of anyone being asked to provide proof of that membership. Good luck.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Beats Walking.

Best Las Vegas rental car deals we've been able to get were via Fox.

You take the regular airport shuttle to the main off-site car rental hub, but you don't go inside.

Instead, you get on the Fox car rental shuttle that takes you to the Fox location a few miles away. (Slight inconvenience but significant saving.)

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Las Vegas rental car deals we've been able to get were via Fox.

You take the regular airport shuttle to the main off-site car rental hub, but you don't go inside.

Instead, you get on the Fox car rental shuttle that takes you to the Fox location a few miles away. (Slight inconvenience but significant saving.)

I rented from Fox once. never again.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
No Problem . . .

I rented from Fox once. never again.
. . . we're gluttons for punishment.

Plus, we've been reasonably satisfied with Fox & other el cheapo car rental companies in Orlando FL.

Fox is not necessarily the most inconvenient of the economy car rental companies.

Once while I was waiting at MCO for the shuttle from ACO Car Rental, five -- 5 -- Fox shuttles went by before 1 ACO van showed up.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks so much for the additional information. I really do not want a hassle at the rental center. I have a friend traveling with me who has a problem walking long distances, so Fox will be out of the question. I usually get the car while she waits at the airport, but that is easy in Orlando. I don't want to waste time going to the rental center and driving back to the airport with the car to pickup my friend. Someone suggested that I book with EZ over Payless. I have used EZ before, but some years ago. Using the online check in with Alamo and skipping the counter may be worth spending that extra $65.00. I do know how to say no to all those extra charges while at the counter. I learned that lesson on TUG. I also carry the rental agreement from American Express with me at all times. I can look up my Costco codes. They were saved.

Ok, so I decided to Google EZ Rentals and Payless. They both have some horrible reviews, which has led me to cancel both pending reservations with them. As of now, I will keep the reservation and pay more money with Alamo. Just the thought of waiting hours for cars and fighting with the counter agents who try to nickel and dime you was enough for me to read. Some of the stories were pretty scary.

Last edited:

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I forgot to write this update. We picked up our car at the rental center from Alamo on 9/12. I am so glad that I opted to do the check in online the day before along with the by pass the counter option. When we arrived, all of the rental agencies had extremely long lines! We were able to go directly to the cars and pick whichever full size car we wanted. Paying the higher amount at Alamo instead of EZ Rentals or PayLess definitely proved to be a winner.

derb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hotwire

If you try hotwire, they have a link to about 5 other
rental sites, so with one click you can view many
auto rental sites and prices..

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best I could get was $203 for this week through SW portal. yuck!

Dori

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Can someone supply information as to which is the "wiser" move....(with Hertz)
pay for a tank of gas or bring it back full?
Thanks
M

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone supply information as to which is the "wiser" move....(with Hertz)
pay for a tank of gas or bring it back full?
Thanks
M

It's always cheaper to refuel yourself, filling the tank to the same place it was when you picked it up. Herz charges a premium to refuel for you, whether it's pre-paid or at drop-off.