• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval Leisure Group buys Starwood, then Starwood and Marriott merge. Means what?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
The Element brand hotels have full size refrigerators.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have a question for Starwood owners. We own Marriotts, and extensively use free nights on road trips to stay at Residence Inns, TownePlaces, etc. on the way to timeshares located a few days drive away.

I have absolutely no complaints about this part of the Marriott system - it's great to get all free stays enroute, and the quality of the rooms and properties are generally fine with us. It would be nice to add more locations via Sheraton/Starwood, but the quality of their units or their rewards plan is not too important to us.

The most important thing is that a kitchen with a full sized refrigerator be available in the unit, as we start out our multi-week timeshare trips with a carload of food and drinks and prefer to store that in a full refrigerator each night enroute to the timeshares.

So - do many of the Starwood hotel units that would be included in the rewards plan for free night stays have fully equipped kitchens? If so do they charge a reasonable amount of reward points for these types of units?

Thanks for any info on this....

I think what you are asking is does Starwood have a similar brand to Residence Inns and TownePlace Suites? I am not aware that they do, but we don't frequent their chains very often.

vikingsholm

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes Dioxide, that's pretty much what I'm asking, since the Residence Inns and TownePlaces have the nice full sized kitchens. We often reserve studio sizes but get upgrades to one or two bedroom units with platinum status when we arrive. They're almost like mini timeshares. Free breakfasts too.

Not being very familiar with Starwood's hotels, I'll have to look into those Elements that were previously mentioned to see if they're comparable. Thanks for the input.

Of course, that's only if Marriott wins this bidding war.

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes Dioxide, that's pretty much what I'm asking, since the Residence Inns and TownePlaces have the nice full sized kitchens. ...
I don't think Starwood has any brands similar to Residence Inn or TownePlace. Also, the Elements hotels are "boutique hotels" and I think are pretty pricey.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood doesn't have a line of suite hotels like Marriott does. I haven't stayed at an Elements hotel yet, but there are few of those. All the other brands don't have kitchens.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I don't think Starwood has any brands similar to Residence Inn or TownePlace. Also, the Elements hotels are "boutique hotels" and I think are pretty pricey.

That's not accurate. They are "eco" hotels, and offer some studio, 1-, and 2-bedroom suites with kitchenettes. I have not found them to be pricey at all; some are category 3.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just had a pleasant conversation with OwnerServices.

FWIW (and speculative) - looks like SVO/SVN will become VSE on May 1.
Don't expect much influence of ILG on VSE (independent - similar to Hyatt).
More TSs/Hotels (as combos) will be added to VSE (Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, Poipu, and 2nd tower at Steamboat).
Also, SOs will be able to reserve these TS/Hotel combos.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

More TSs/Hotels (as combos) will be added to VSE (Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, Poipu, and 2nd tower at Steamboat).

We've known of the TSs/Hotels for a while. When do they come online...:ponder:

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

I do wonder if ILG will put pressure on VSE to limit bulk banks in to RCI?

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We've known of the TSs/Hotels for a while. When do they come online...:ponder:

I was reiterating and confirming information - as it can change.
I would imagine openings over the next 3-4 years depending on how much construction and restructuring needs to be done.

The Elite service person I spoke with (for about 30 minutes) seemed to be very knowledgable. I was calling about updating my account as it seems I have two II accounts in my SVO/SVN account because a WSJ deed I updated with Robin's apparently never made it to SVO Title (RIP John Faeth). We discussed multiple issues across SVO/SVN-VSE-II, SW and Marriott, systems, and resort usage - and reserving online (there have apparently been technical issues - duh). They were familiar with nuances of the resorts and systems w/o the rosy sales picture.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I do wonder if ILG will put pressure on VSE to limit bulk banks in to RCI?

Did you mean II? I do not anything about RCI except for a few SVO resorts can use RCI. I do not think there have been bulk deposits for a while - have there been? I use my VOIs - or rent. I will start doing more exchanges in 2-3 years when we can vacation full time.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - Some resorts are duel affiliated with II and RCI, and deposits are made to both. If they renew the contract(s) with RCI, they will be obligated to make deposits. I don't know when the contracts expire.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Did you mean II? I do not anything about RCI except for a few SVO resorts can use RCI. I do not think there have been bulk deposits for a while - have there been? I use my VOIs - or rent. I will start doing more exchanges in 2-3 years when we can vacation full time.

Yes - Some resorts are duel affiliated with II and RCI, and deposits are made to both. If they renew the contract(s) with RCI, they will be obligated to make deposits. I don't know when the contracts expire.

If I recall correctly, I believe there were some bulk bank sightings reported where a lot of SDO weeks were deposited in to RCI just last year. There may have been some other resorts. I suspect this is covered by a contract with RCI. I wonder if the new ILG ownership will prevent a renewal of those contracts when they come up for renewal?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, I believe there were some bulk bank sightings reported where a lot of SDO weeks were deposited in to RCI just last year. There may have been some other resorts. I suspect this is covered by a contract with RCI. I wonder if the new ILG ownership will prevent a renewal of those contracts when they come up for renewal?
And SBP. Seems RCI get weeks deposited before owners can even book.

Has led to a couple of interesting threads so far this year.
1. SBP can reserve their deeded week. One owner was told it was sold out
2. Sdo red week struggles to reserve next March at 12 month's.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Official Letter: SPG & Marriott

Just came in my email:

Nearly five months ago we shared the news that Starwood Hotels & Resorts is joining with Marriott International to create the world’s biggest and best hotel company — with 5,500 hotels and resorts in more than 100 countries. Today we’re pleased to announce that the shareholders of each company have approved the merger.

Since the original announcement, our members have asked many questions about the future of Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®). Soon we will begin the long journey to integrate the very best of SPG and Marriott Rewards®. Through this process, your perspective will help guide these discussions as we consider the following:

• How do we continue to deliver the unique experiences, benefits and rewards you’ve come to expect both in and out of our hotels and resorts?

• How do we take full advantage of the extraordinary new range of hotels, resorts and destinations that will be the hallmark of a combined Starwood and Marriott to add new recognition and benefits for you?

• How do we protect the value of your currency and status, whether your Starpoints® balance, lifetime status or membership level?

Getting answers to these complicated, important questions will take time. In fact, we don’t anticipate launching a newly combined program until 2018. This means SPG will continue to run separately until then. In the meantime, we’re actively exploring ways to build bridges between the two programs to further enhance your experience.

In addition, we are not standing still: Among other things, we’re bringing you new access to one-of-a-kind hotels from Tribute Portfolio™ and Design Hotels™, plus exciting new SPG MomentsSM experiences through our unique partnerships with Major League Baseball®, Mercedes AMG Petronas and more.

Know that we’re listening to your feedback, and we value your input. Our merger is on track to close midyear, and as we have more news to share, we will reach out to you. You can also find the latest updates at spg.com/updates and via Twitter (@spg). Our members are at the core of everything we do, and that will not change. We remain at your service wherever you need us — in our hotels, at spg.com, on the SPG apps or via our Customer Contact Centers.

Thank you for sharing your travels with SPG.

Thomas B. Mangas

Chief Executive Officer,
Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Chris Holdren

Senior Vice President,
Starwood Preferred Guest

PRESS RELEASE: https://s1.q4cdn.com/483583335/files/doc_news/2016/04-08-Marriott-and-Starwood-Merger-Vote.pdf

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
FYI, Marriott announced today that they're integrating some SPG benefits in advance of the merger. See Post #130 in this thread in the Marriott forum.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Are they really integrating them or just creating new benefits in MR that are the same as what exists in SPG? This would be just like a competitor adding the same benefit to their program?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
ILG shareholder vote

Looks like it's official -- ILG's shareholders voted in favour of buying/merging VSE, with an expected completion of Apr 30th.

ILG Press Release

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Marriott's Sorenson on Travel, Terrorism, Technology, Politicians, Starwood and the Future - by Doug Gollan/ Lifestyle/ Forbes/ forbes.com

"In one of his first public engagements since its merger with Starwood Hotels & Resorts closed last week, Marriott International President & CEO Arne Sorenson spent nearly an hour speaking to travel agents in a wide ranging discussion at a conference here in Reno earlier today.

While it now counts 1.1 million rooms, with over 370,000 more under development, and some 5,500 hotels globally, Sorenson downplayed any concerns about the behemoth using its expanded girth to raise prices. Speaking at the ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents) Global Convention, he said analogies to consolidation in the airline industry are incorrect. He noted, while airlines own their own planes and set their fares, in the hotel industry franchisees set prices for their hotels, so even if Marriott controls 15 percent of U.S. hotel rooms, it only controls rates for about five percent. He said the goal of the merger is to use its clout to increase occupancy...."

960x0.jpg

Arne M. Sorenson, president and CEO of Marriott International speaks onstage at the American Magazine Media Conference at Grand Hyatt New York on February 2, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Larry Busacca/Getty Images for Time Inc)

Richard

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
It is interesting that any points from timeshares cannot be transferred to Marriott or vice versa...hope that isn't a clue of what's to happen in the future.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
It is interesting that any points from timeshares cannot be transferred to Marriott or vice versa...hope that isn't a clue of what's to happen in the future.

A combined loyalty program is likely to be launched in 2018, and Vistana's agreement guarantees TS owners access to any such replacement program. Once a single unified program is launched I don't see how or why Vistana-derived hotel points could be restricted.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
A combined loyalty program is likely to be launched in 2018, and Vistana's agreement guarantees TS owners access to any such replacement program. Once a single unified program is launched I don't see how or why Vistana-derived hotel points could be restricted.

What is the definition of TS derived points? Converted StarOptions? Bonus points for purchase of TS? Points for attending presentations or owner updates? Points earned from on-site spending while using TS? Point packages purchased with offer for new TS owners? :shrug:

And then, how do they determine the origin of each point, especially after redemptions and mixed methods of earning??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TS derived points = Starpoints from converting your timeshare to Starpoints.