• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anything new to do on Oahu or Kauai?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We're going back to Hawaii in a couple of weeks. Spending a non-timeshare week on Oahu (at the Hale Koa military hotel on the beach in Waikiki), followed by another ocean-front week in our t/s on Kauai. We've been to both islands multiple times, but we're always interested in new and interesting things to do, places to see, restaurants to try. You know, kind of like we were "real" tourists. ;)

We've done most of the "normal" things people do on those islands, and we're looking to try something different. Anybody have something new you've discovered you'd like to share with us? Money (within reason) is no object. No kids, no dietary restrictions, reasonable health and activity levels, and we're both pretty easy to please. We'll have a car. We'd love to know what you think.

Suggestions?

Dave

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I think the latest hot activity is the water jet propulsion boots.

We've also been there, done that on most activities, surfing, parasail, jetskis, SUP, zipline. I think they killed the zipline over the HHV lagoon next door.

Too bad you aren't staying at KMC on the BI, the lava is flowing.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Dave - Have you done the Plantation hike behind the Kauai Mini-Golf? We really enjoyed that:

http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/hiking-kauais-majestic-wai-koa-loop-trail

We also enjoyed the new Lava Lava on-the-beach restaurant behind the Coconut Marketplace: to lower the cost - eat in the open air bar and order from the bar menu. If you order from the dinner menu, it's about $75-$100 for two with a drink.

http://lavalavabeachclub.com/kauai/

Turn on the side street immediately to the south of the Coconut Market place, then turn left into the first driveway into Kauai Shores, and take it all the way back - on the left side of the hotel. Parking is to the left of the drive, but you have to turn around at the end of the driveway, and go back to be at the right angle to park.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I second the two Denise mentioned. I did them both and enjoyed them both.

There's a new lookout they cleared out at the 18th mile of the Kalalau trail you can check out. OK, so I'm kidding on that one.:D

Don't know if you ever drove to the other lighthouse, the one that overlooks Kalapaki beach. We stopped there for the first time last trip.

There is supposed to be a new pizza place that opened up in the Harbour Mall but I never tried that, it just opened.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think the latest hot activity is the water jet propulsion boots.

We've also been there, done that on most activities, surfing, parasail, jetskis, SUP, zipline. I think they killed the zipline over the HHV lagoon next door.

Too bad you aren't staying at KMC on the BI, the lava is flowing.

I'd love to try the water jet boots, but right now, I doubt my knees would tolerate it. (I just had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee, so aggressive activity like that isn't going to work for us this time, I'm afraid.) But someday, I'll be up for it!

I haven't heard about the zipline at HHV, so it's probably gone.

I stayed at KMC on the BI last year, before this latest round of lava flow activity. I'm still contemplating a day trip from Oahu to BI to see if we can see it. If the lava is very active when we're there, I may just opt for that, and not do anything else too $pendy on Oahu. Cross your fingers! :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave - Have you done the Plantation hike behind the Kauai Mini-Golf? We really enjoyed that:

http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/hiking-kauais-majestic-wai-koa-loop-trail

We also enjoyed the new Lava Lava on-the-beach restaurant behind the Coconut Marketplace: to lower the cost - eat in the open air bar and order from the bar menu. If you order from the dinner menu, it's about $75-$100 for two with a drink.

http://lavalavabeachclub.com/kauai/

Turn on the side street immediately to the south of the Coconut Market place, then turn left into the first driveway into Kauai Shores, and take it all the way back - on the left side of the hotel. Parking is to the left of the drive, but you have to turn around at the end of the driveway, and go back to be at the right angle to park.

Great ideas, Denise. Thanks! I'll check into those.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I second the two Denise mentioned. I did them both and enjoyed them both.

There's a new lookout they cleared out at the 18th mile of the Kalalau trail you can check out. OK, so I'm kidding on that one.:D

Don't know if you ever drove to the other lighthouse, the one that overlooks Kalapaki beach. We stopped there for the first time last trip.

There is supposed to be a new pizza place that opened up in the Harbour Mall but I never tried that, it just opened.

Jeff, I'll wait for your pictures of that 18th Mile lookout. :)

The other lighthouses are something we haven't checked out. Thanks for the reminder. We've been to Kilauea Lighthouse several times, but no others. :)

Dave

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'd love to try the water jet boots, but right now, I doubt my knees would tolerate it. (I just had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee, so aggressive activity like that isn't going to work for us this time, I'm afraid.) But someday, I'll be up for it!

This hike is about a 5 mi. loop, but it's very flat, and if it gets to be too long, and you are less than half way, you can just turn around and go back.

When we did it, there had been lots of rain, and it was quite muddy. There were lots of places in the trail with standing water/deep mud, where we had to pick our way around through the bushes and high grass on the side, to get out of the mud.

At first I was going to do that, but after doing it about 20 times, I gave up and just got muddy. but, because of slip's warning about the conditions - I had on "mud shoes" - old tennis shoes that I didn't care if I thrashed. By the time we got back, I was sold mud to above my ankles and splashed up to my knees. :D

We actually took our shoes off and washed them thoroughly at the spigot at the bottom of the stairs in Bldg. G, and then threw them in the wash machine with some soap and bleach, and they came out fine - for mud shoes.

Next time we are going to pack in a lunch in a backpack, and eat at the stone dam waterfall.

map.png

stone_dam_600.jpg

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
You'll be waiting a while for my pictures on that one. :D

Don't know if you've seen Moses Hamilton in Hanalai. He sets up in the Village on Saturday's. He a real inspiring and talented guy.

http://mosesart.org

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This hike is about a 5 mi. loop, but it's very flat, and if it gets to be too long, and you are less than half way, you can just turn around and go back.

When we did it, there had been lots of rain, and it was quite muddy. There were lots of places in the trail with standing water/deep mud, where we had to pick our way around through the bushes and high grass on the side, to get out of the mud.

At first I was going to do that, but after doing it about 20 times, I gave up and just got muddy. but, because of slip's warning about the conditions - I had on "mud shoes" - old tennis shoes that I didn't care if I thrashed. By the time we got back, I was sold mud to above my ankles and splashed up to my knees. :D

We actually took our shoes off and washed them thoroughly at the spigot at the bottom of the stairs in Bldg. G, and then threw them in the wash machine with some soap and bleach, and they came out fine - for mud shoes.

Next time we are going to pack in a lunch in a backpack, and eat at the waterfall.

map.png

We did it on a cloudy day, if it's sunny, you will be in the sun a lot because a lot of it is in the open so bring sunscreen and water. It is an easy walk though and lunch there would be great. Very pretty area. We're taking friends there in February.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for these ideas. Lots to do!

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A couple of times now we've rented a kayak for a week. Comes with pads and straps to mount it on your car. Then we drop it into the water where ever we want, including some of the streams that that have the one lane bridges beyond Hanalei. Went up the Hanalei River as far as we could, then had a nice picnic lunch on the shore. Did that same thing on the river that flows into Kalapaki and goes past the fish ponds. Supposedly, only commercial kayak operations are allowed on the Wailua, but they aren't allowed to operate on Sunday. So on Sunday we dropped the canoe in at the launch point near the bridge and paddled the Wailua ourselves.

If you have 4-WD take the road to Miloli'i State Park - it's on the end of Miloli'i Ridge on the Na Pali coast. Spectacular views of the coast, the Na Pali cliffs, and Milol'i Beach a couple of thousand feet below.

and I can't believe you've hiked all of the trails.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

I haven't heard about the zipline at HHV, so it's probably gone.

I stayed at KMC on the BI last year, before this latest round of lava flow activity. I'm still contemplating a day trip from Oahu to BI to see if we can see it. If the lava is very active when we're there, I may just opt for that, and not do anything else too $pendy on Oahu. Cross your fingers! :)

Dave

PS: We did the Kualoa Ranch ATV tour this year, that was fun and well organized. Funny, we just went to see the Snowden movie and recognized the tunnel location used in the film.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A couple of times now we've rented a kayak for a week. Comes with pads and straps to mount it on your car. Then we drop it into the water where ever we want, including some of the streams that that have the one lane bridges beyond Hanalei. Went up the Hanalei River as far as we could, then had a nice picnic lunch on the shore. Did that same thing on the river that flows into Kalapaki and goes past the fish ponds. Supposedly, only commercial kayak operations are allowed on the Wailua, but they aren't allowed to operate on Sunday. So on Sunday we dropped the canoe in at the launch point near the bridge and paddled the Wailua ourselves.

If you have 4-WD take the road to Miloli'i State Park - it's on the end of Miloli'i Ridge on the Na Pali coast. Spectacular views of the coast, the Na Pali cliffs, and Milol'i Beach a couple of thousand feet below.

and I can't believe you've hiked all of the trails.

Thanks. Steve. Of course, I haven't hiked ALL the trails. I'm always looking for a good hike that isn't an all-day affair. Spouse is a photography nut, so photo-ops are always a request. I find myself in the car very early or late in the day, hunting for a spot where the light is right. Hauling the excess equipment is what taxes me the most. ;)

The kayak idea sounds great, except we'll be driving a convertible. Maybe on another trip. Thanks for the great idea.

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Steve. Of course, I haven't hiked ALL the trails. I'm always looking for a good hike that isn't an all-day affair. Spouse is a photography nut, so photo-ops are always a request. I find myself in the car very early or late in the day, hunting for a spot where the light is right. Hauling the excess equipment is what taxes me the most. ;)

The kayak idea sounds great, except we'll be driving a convertible. Maybe on another trip. Thanks for the great idea.

Dave

Maha'ulepu and Makewehi are great areas for photography. The sandstone cliffs and bluffs are fascinating. And it's not a long hike to lug gear.

Another thing I remembered is the Hanapepe art walk. It's in the evening. We usually catch it on the way back from either the canyon or Palihole Beach. In the last several years is started to morph into more of a street fair than just the gallery walk that its supposed to be.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oahu:

Not sure when you last visited. New wing at Ala Moana mall is open, with Japanese village (dining choices) and expanded Foodland. The new International Marketplace is open, although not all stores/restaurants have opened yet. If you like microbrews, you could try the Waikiki Brewing Company. Matsumoto's shave ice on the north shore has a larger storefront (along with other shops/restaurants in new plaza).

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Maha'ulepu and Makewehi are great areas for photography. The sandstone cliffs and bluffs are fascinating. And it's not a long hike to lug gear.

Another thing I remembered is the Hanapepe art walk. It's in the evening. We usually catch it on the way back from either the canyon or Palihole Beach. In the last several years is started to morph into more of a street fair than just the gallery walk that its supposed to be.

Great ideas. Thanks! I think we did the Hanapepe walk, or at least, we wandered the town some last trip. I need to sit down with a Kauai map and try to remember where we did stuff. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oahu:

Not sure when you last visited. New wing at Ala Moana mall is open, with Japanese village (dining choices) and expanded Foodland. The new International Marketplace is open, although not all stores/restaurants have opened yet. If you like microbrews, you could try the Waikiki Brewing Company. Matsumoto's shave ice on the north shore has a larger storefront (along with other shops/restaurants in new plaza).

We were last there about 16 months ago. I'd heard the expansion/remodel at Ala Moana was open. I'm very interested in the Shirokiya improvements. (I lived on Oahu as a teenager, and worked at Ala Moana when I was in high school. I really enjoy seeing how the place has changed over the years.)

The International Marketplace was being shut down when we were last there. So seeing those changes is definitely on the list. We're staying right in Waikiki, so it'll be an easy walk.

The Waikiki Brewing Company sounds familiar. I may have been there.

I'm curious how Matsumoto's could have expanded. I don't recall there being much around their storefront. Definitely will require checking it out.

All good ideas. Thanks!

Dave

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Matsumoto's - you enter on the side now, not the front. They also serve in a dish now - no plastic holders anymore.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Matsumoto's - you enter on the side now, not the front. They also serve in a dish now - no plastic holders anymore.

Ok, that makes more sense. :)

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
A pleasant day is floating down the old sugar cane irrigation canals. This includes going through old tunnels that were dug with pickaxes and shovels.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A pleasant day is floating down the old sugar cane irrigation canals. This includes going through old tunnels that were dug with pickaxes and shovels.

I agree. And I may have to do it alone. Spouse doesn't like the water, and is reluctant. But I keep asking. ;)

Maybe I'll advertise on Craig's List there to see if someone wants to go. How much trouble can I get into by going on a personal excursion for several hours with a stranger in a soaking wet bathing suit? If not on the trip, then certainly when I got back to the timeshare... :eek: ;)

Dave

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Have you ever been to barking sands? The O-club is right on the beach (I mean RIGHT on the beach; great place for a cocktail or lunch and whales...nice beach that you can gently stroll. Very much private compared.... On the way back from all this; Kauai Shrimp has opened a farm direct outlet at their Hanapepe facility at 3630 Hanapepe Rd, open Mon - thru Friday 10 am to 3:30 pm (or similar--limited hours).

Special events in Hanapepe....

Also, their is a nice brewery in Port Allen.

It's a great trip.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Have you ever been to barking sands? The O-club is right on the beach (I mean RIGHT on the beach; great place for a cocktail or lunch and whales...nice beach that you can gently stroll. Very much private compared.... On the way back from all this; Kauai Shrimp has opened a farm direct outlet at their Hanapepe facility at 3630 Hanapepe Rd, open Mon - thru Friday 10 am to 3:30 pm (or similar--limited hours).

Special events in Hanapepe....

Also, their is a nice brewery in Port Allen.

It's a great trip.

Yes, I have been to Barking Sands a number of times. I always go by the beachfront rental cottages and try to decide if I want to try and plan a stay out there. (Can't reserve far enough in advance to make it convenient.) I'm not much for lounging around all day, and the isolation out there makes it a bit far if you want to do much.

The brewery in Port Allen you're mentioning is next to the Red Dirt shirt people, right?

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We liked the Brewery much better when it was located at the Waimea Cottages.

Now it is in an industrial area, in a metal building, with no AC, open to the commercial area in back for a breeze, and the heat and flies are unpleasant. I don't think we will go back.

Kauai%20beer%203.JPG

Waimea%20Canyon%20-1076.jpg

Last edited: