• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone gotten a Nexus card?

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a program for U.S. citizens to travel to Canada more easily. My husband and I just applied because we expect to be traveling to Toronto more often in the next few years.

Has anyone gotten a Nexus card? What is the interview like? How long from the time you apply to the time when you can schedule your interview?

Thanks for any tips!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

ValHam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure happy with my nexus card - saves time - we travel back and forth to the States from Canada - no hassle - fantastic time saver.

mbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have it

I've had one for 3 years. The only downside for U.S. citizens is that you have to have an interview in Canada. I waited 4 months for an interview, but that was because it fit my schedule. At the time I applied (2013), there was a 3 month wait for an interview for major cities. The card also serves a the U.S. equivalent of Pre-Check for Canadian Security. The card has saved me eons of time.

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I've had one for 3 years. The only downside for U.S. citizens is that you have to have an interview in Canada.

This may have been true 3 years ago, but there are now several interview centers in the US border states.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I am dual Canadian and US Citizen. I have a Nexus and thus also Global Entry. I have had GE longer, but when I was having to renew I decided it was easier to get my Nexus too. I have had Nexus for over 2 years now.

Nexus is for Canadian or US citizens for easier access into Canada.

Nice plus with Nexus is that it is only $50 for 5 years and you get a free Global Entry for that price. GE is $100 alone, without getting Nexus. So if you live near a Canadian Border getting Nexus is worth it.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! We will have to do our interviews at Toronto Pearson. Our closest centers in the U.S. are Niagara Falls and Buffalo, and we don't live near them. We'll have to wait till we are flying to Toronto anyhow.

We're going in October, but I guess there's no hope of getting our interviews done then. Sounds like it may be a long wait to hear back.

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
You can schedule your appointment yourself on the GOES website. I went to a border crossing in Champlain NY for mine and they are not as busy as the airports so the wait was short.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just keep checking the GOES website once you've got your application in. People cancel all the time and the appointments pop up.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Thanks! We will have to do our interviews at Toronto Pearson. Our closest centers in the U.S. are Niagara Falls and Buffalo, and we don't live near them. We'll have to wait till we are flying to Toronto anyhow.

We're going in October, but I guess there's no hope of getting our interviews done then. Sounds like it may be a long wait to hear back.

Our DS & wife chose to have their interview in Windsor (Detroit?) as the wait time was less than 1/2 of what the wait time was for Toronto. DS said the 4hr drive (they made a weekend out of the trip) was well worth it. I don't recall the length of time between submitting their applications and the interview.

Dh & I are seriously considering applying for ours since we travel to the USA (& beyond) so often. We never see a line up for the Nexus lane at any of the land crossings in the Niagara area.

~Diane

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our DS & wife chose to have their interview in Windsor (Detroit?) as the wait time was less than 1/2 of what the wait time was for Toronto. DS said the 4hr drive (they made a weekend out of the trip) was well worth it. I don't recall the length of time between submitting their applications and the interview.

Dh & I are seriously considering applying for ours since we travel to the USA (& beyond) so often. We never see a line up for the Nexus lane at any of the land crossings in the Niagara area.

~Diane

Thanks! Good to know. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad in Buffalo or Niagara, if the timing works out anyway. They're about a six-hour drive on Google Maps.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Thanks! Good to know. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad in Buffalo or Niagara, if the timing works out anyway. They're about a six-hour drive on Google Maps.

Are you calculating the drive from your home to Buffalo/Niagara? Because Toronto to Windsor is less than 4 hrs and Buffalo to Windsor is just over 4 hrs (depending on traffic of course).

We usually cross the border in the Niagara area when heading south to get the cheap gas sooner and avoid the boring drive along the 401 to Windsor. We can easily make it to a Niagara border in about 2.5hrs from our home north of Toronto. :clap:

Enjoy your stays in Toronto! :hi:

~Diane

Art

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got approved for my Nexus card today. The interview invitation came exactly two months after I applied, and I was able to schedule the interview four days later at Whirlpool, in Niagara Falls.

It was a very efficient operation. Including a trip across the bridge to Canada to get my iris scan, I was done at 9:30 AM for an 8:45 AM appointment.

The interview(s) were the Canadian and US CBP officers explaining the rules. The primary question I was asked was "Do you understand the rules?"

The nice thing for us is that as US citizens who use Toronto for international flights, this will give us a fast route through Canadian Customs and Immigration as well as US.

Art

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Does everyone in the car have to have a Nexus card or only the driver?

Everyone in the car has to have Nexus, otherwise use a regular crossing.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got approved for my Nexus card today. The interview invitation came exactly two months after I applied, and I was able to schedule the interview four days later at Whirlpool, in Niagara Falls.

It was a very efficient operation. Including a trip across the bridge to Canada to get my iris scan, I was done at 9:30 AM for an 8:45 AM appointment.

The interview(s) were the Canadian and US CBP officers explaining the rules. The primary question I was asked was "Do you understand the rules?"

The nice thing for us is that as US citizens who use Toronto for international flights, this will give us a fast route through Canadian Customs and Immigration as well as US.

Art

Thank you! We applied back on September 10 and 12 (or so), and our status for Nexus still shows as pending review. Two months and an easy interview appointment would be great.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you calculating the drive from your home to Buffalo/Niagara? Because Toronto to Windsor is less than 4 hrs and Buffalo to Windsor is just over 4 hrs (depending on traffic of course).

Yes, from where we live (in NJ, right outside Manhattan) to Niagara, it's about a six-hour drive.

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Yes, from where we live (in NJ, right outside Manhattan) to Niagara, it's about a six-hour drive.

Champlain, NY (not far from Montreal) is only about a 4.5 hour drive for you and they give appointments fairly quickly (it's where I got mine with only a 2-3 week wait). It's an easy drive as well on the 87 the whole way up/down.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
...The card also serves a the U.S. equivalent of Pre-Check for Canadian Security. The card has saved me eons of time.

That's good to know. I was just about to ask that question when I went back to scan the posts. We're thinking of taking a flight from Vancouver to Cancun next spring since the Seattle flights are so expensive. Except DS, who will be flying with us, still has his Nexus application in review. I'm not sure if he'll be approved; he has lived in multiple places in the last five years.

Art

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had my interview last Tuesday and my Nexus card arrived today.

Art

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I just renewed my Global Entry and about a week later got a Nexus card in the mail. Didn't ask for it, it just came.

Cheers

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Champlain, NY (not far from Montreal) is only about a 4.5 hour drive for you and they give appointments fairly quickly (it's where I got mine with only a 2-3 week wait). It's an easy drive as well on the 87 the whole way up/down.

Thanks! Great info. We'll go up there if necessary.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had my interview last Tuesday and my Nexus card arrived today.

Art

Our applications are still Pending Review...it's been about two weeks.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
That's good to know. I was just about to ask that question when I went back to scan the posts. We're thinking of taking a flight from Vancouver to Cancun next spring since the Seattle flights are so expensive. Except DS, who will be flying with us, still has his Nexus application in review. I'm not sure if he'll be approved; he has lived in multiple places in the last five years.

My son got pre-approved last week! So it took a little over 2 months from application. The waitlist for a Seattle interview appointment is 5 months,
but we're planning on going up to Vancouver BC by early December so will reschedule :whoopie:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son got pre-approved last week! So it took a little over 2 months from application. The waitlist for a Seattle interview appointment is 5 months,
but we're planning on going up to Vancouver BC by early December so will reschedule :whoopie:

Thanks for the update! We've been Pending Review for a little more than a month now.