• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where to Stay for Washinton DC visit

Hanburger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like some advice on where to stay for a DC visit. I have elderly family members visiting Washington DC next month for the first time, but they have not made a lodging reservation yet and need help. I am from the west coast, have not visited DC myself, and do not know DC at all. They want to see the touristy places in DC. Several of them are in their sixties, so I think they would like somewhere convenient (i.e., within walking distance or a short train ride from the main touristy attractions.)

Any thoughts on where they should stay, even if they are not timeshares? There are 5 people total making the trip, and they plan to spend 2 nights/3 days in DC (June 12th through 14th). Their preference is either timeshare or condo rental. I put a general "Rental Wanted" ad in the Last Minute Rental forum, but not sure if anyone is going to respond there. Also I checked out vrbo.com, but I think there weren't too many options within DC that meet their budget.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
Han

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dang, I did not know I was elderly!

And I just days ago had my aunt who is 3 months shy of 90 years old up in NYC for 3 nights! With her walker ... just 7 months after her broken hip with ball replacement.

Old Town Alexander is less than 2 blocks from the Metro - but you should serious consider the hotel plan.

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
Dang, I did not know I was elderly!

Linda- you just spend too much time in South Florida where the 60s are the new 30s. :p

I have a client that's still driving and he just turned 100, not sure that 60s are elderly.

Last edited:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Hello,

I would like some advice on where to stay for a DC visit. I have elderly family members visiting Washington DC next month for the first time, but they have not made a lodging reservation yet and need help. I am from the west coast, have not visited DC myself, and do not know DC at all. They want to see the touristy places in DC. Several of them are in their sixties, so I think they would like somewhere convenient (i.e., within walking distance or a short train ride from the main touristy attractions.)

Any thoughts on where they should stay, even if they are not timeshares? There are 5 people total making the trip, and they plan to spend 2 nights/3 days in DC (June 12th through 14th). Their preference is either timeshare or condo rental. I put a general "Rental Wanted" ad in the Last Minute Rental forum, but not sure if anyone is going to respond there. Also I checked out vrbo.com, but I think there weren't too many options within DC that meet their budget.

Han

We always stay at the Wyndham Old Town Alexandria and we are in our 60's!

The Metro is probably 500 feet from the front of the resort but the feature we enjoy the most is the free trolly that goes up and down King St that stops right across the street from the resort. Tons of great restaurants on and immediately off of King St. Several years ago we used to walk down to the waterfront deciding on the way what restaurant to eat at. It was about a two mile walk. Then we would have dinner and walk back! That dog don't hunt anymore though. Did I say I really liked the free trolly?

There are other hotels in that immediate area if no availability at Wyndham. We have stayed at the Hilton when it was first built but we really liked the Embassey Suites the better of the two. The Embassey Suites offers a free daily buffet breakfast and minimal ($1) charge happy hour every evening. Another major benefit, albeit not as important now, is that they offer free van service down King St. They will take you down to the waterfront and when you are done with dinner you just call them and they come and pick you up wherever you are!

Be prepared to walk to anything you want to see! Never walked so far in my life as we do when we go to DC.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Linda- you just spend too much time in South Florida where the 60s are the new 30s. :p

I have a client that's still driving and he just turned 100, not sure that 60s are elderly.

I had to take the 4 wheel drive all tertian vehicle away from auntie last month. ;) It is titled in my name now along with my red "4 by 4 pick'em up truck".

PS Last trip to South Florida was Thanksgiving Week 2014.:(

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't think you will find anything that sleeps 5 in DC for 2 nights in June at $100 per night. A condo cleaning fee will probably be almost that much. Old Town Alexandria would need AP so probably full points plus a guest cert. DC suburbs convenient to a metro have hotels at or around $100 per night but for 5 adults you will need at least 2 rooms,

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... DC suburbs convenient to a metro have hotels at or around $100 per night but for 5 adults you will need at least 2 rooms,

Good advice ... even on a weekend.

Remember, Washington, DC was built on a MARSH ... and is surrounded by water. Mid June will give your relatives full understand of HOT and HUMID weather.

And LOTS of walking and lots of steps (looks good in pictures) but NO moving sidewalks to the ramps or elevators for the handicap accesses.

Hanburger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you all for the suggestions. Very helpful. I have passed on the information to my family. It looks like they are going to reserve a condo in DC from vrbo.com.

Also, sorry about the use of the "E" word. :eek: I was just trying to solicit some more understanding for the last minute planning that it had turned out to be.

Since last night, I have done a fair amount of reading related to Washington DC that I now want to visit! Will need to add it to the bucket list... since I am all the way out in California.

Thanks again!

KAS33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Estate at Nueva Vallarta
Hello,

Han
We live in Washington, DC (actually just on the border in Chevy Chase, MD). I would be happy to speak with you about options. I see you are looking at a condo. The critical piece is to know the area you are choosing and how easy it is to get about.

It is a wonderful city with endless options, of course. I would strongly suggest that you stay in the city itself. Places like Alexandria and other suburbs, with the possible exception of those on the northern leg of the Red Line are really off the beaten path for seeing the city. Old Town Alexandria is wonderful, but it is only a small part of DC.

It is true that the heat and humidity in summer can be oppressive. On the other hand, there are days of lower humidity that are delightful. We love al fresco dining and there is loads of that in the area.

You will need to think about areas to visit. It depends on what your family enjoys most. There are museums galore, fascinating architecture, beautiful gardens and historical places, monuments, and that is just a start. Were you to venture out on a day's drive you can be in the mountains in 60 to 90 minutes, the Blue Ridge in Virginia, or further north in Maryland near Camp David.

We have lived here 14 years and do love the city. Living here is a challenge as it can be expensive.

If your rented condo works, terrific. That can be the best of all worlds. I am unaware of any timeshares in the District. If you were looking for hotels, I would strongly look at Priceline and the special savings deals they have where you know the price and the hotel rating but not the exact hotel. You can choose neighborhood.

Happy to be helpful if I can be.

Best regards,

Ken
ksprang@wibclaw.com

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
How close is Bayse, Virginia to Washington, DC?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
How close is Bayse, Virginia to Washington, DC?

Per Google Maps (love this) from Basye (I think that is what you mean?) to DD it's 116 miles.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
2-3 hours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not stay at Bayse if I wanted to tour DC. Commute would be long. Maybe for a day, but there really isn't much to do around Bayse.

Nancy