• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham 101

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have just acquired my first Wyndham unit. Here is what I think I understand from my reading:
1. If I want to use my home resort -- I have a home resort priority.
2. If I want to reserve something else, I can use parts and pieces of the total to book other destinations. (Not a lot of points, a total of 126,000).
3. I may deposit into a credit pool for future use but I must do that prior to the start of the use period.
4. Something about RCI.

My questions:
In regard to using the points to book another Wyndham destination. If I use 100,000 points for that reservation -- how do I use the odd number of points leftover? I can't imagine that I have to search for a location where I can match the exact number of points or a I lose the rest?

I think that is where I have heard something about depositing to RCI -- that is the fuzziest piece of the puzzle for me.

Thanks in advance.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have just acquired my first Wyndham unit. Here is what I think I understand from my reading:
2. If I want to reserve something else, I can use parts and pieces of the total to book other destinations. (Not a lot of points, a total of 126,000).
3. I may deposit into a credit pool for future use but I must do that prior to the start of the use period.
4. Something about RCI.

My questions:
In regard to using the points to book another Wyndham destination. If I use 100,000 points for that reservation -- how do I use the odd number of points leftover? I can't imagine that I have to search for a location where I can match the exact number of points or a I lose the rest?

I think that is where I have heard something about depositing to RCI -- that is the fuzziest piece of the puzzle for me.

Thanks in advance.
The best way to avoid bits and pieces of leftover points is to credit pool if you expect to have some leftovers in a future year. So maybe you take one vacation this year, but two next year.

Credit pooling can extend the life of points (extend 2016 points out to 2018), and it can be used to bring points forward (i.e., make 2017 points available to you now).

You can also deposit leftovers into RCI prior to the end of the year in which the points are good, but it sounds like you will usually have maybe 20k to deposit, which will not get you very much. In fact, if you are strictly a resale owner, you are limited to weekly exchanges, which can cost well over 100k points to begin with.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Chris -- thank you. The new info you gave me above is that I can bring points forward into the credit pool. I was not aware of that. (But now that I know -- it's helpful to understand those Wyndham contracts that were being sold as 'stripped' of points.)

Am I correct in thinking owners may lose points each year without careful advance planning?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
4. Something about RCI.

My questions:

Thanks in advance.

Trying to learn to use Wyndham and RCI at the same time could easily overwhelm a new owner. You may want to focus just on Wyndham for the first year or two, at least.

You can pull points forward one year and save the $39 Credit Pooling charge by making a reservation within the 90 day express reservation window. Then cancel that reservation. Those points are then in your current Use Year to combine with the points that remained from your Use Year. A phone reservation may be the best idea to try this the first time; the reservation agent can set it up for you. You really need the Credit Pool only if you know you want to push points up to 3 years into the future.

With 126,000 points, you will get only 1 Reservation Transaction per calendar year. Use it wisely by planning all your vacations and making the reservations all on the same day, if at all possible. After you use your only Reservation Transaction, addition RTs are $30 for online reservations and $59 for phone reservations. Multiple reservations will also quickly burn through your Housekeeping credits.

Have you read the 10 part Wyndham stickie? Some of the rules have changed since the articles were written, but most of the information is still relevant. This part explains Borrowing Points and Reservation Transactions.

http://www.tug2.net/timeshare_advice/maximize_wyndham_points.html

There is another article on Credit Pooling. There is also the online Wyndham directory for all the latest rules.

Advance planning is key to the most efficient and least costly use of points.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The credit pool is your friend.

I make my ARP reservations and then credit pool everything else. So I never have those odd points left over at the end of the year

jmurp62

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham points
credit pool

In my points charts right now I can see 2016 and 2017 points. If I elect to credit pool will both years automatically be extended or do I have to pay for each year to extend the points? Thanks

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my points charts right now I can see 2016 and 2017 points. If I elect to credit pool will both years automatically be extended or do I have to pay for each year to extend the points? Thanks

$39/year

do it all tomorrow and you wiil see all those points with an expiration date of April 22 2018

but you dont have to do it all at once, If extending the live of your points you should wait until Late Dec 2015 to do the 2016 points and late Dec 2016 to do the 2017 points. That will extend the live of your points the longest.

But thats not my goal. I have credit pooled my 2017 points and they are pretty much already in reservations. I use the credit pool so I can use future points today, not to push todays points into the future.

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas

Thanks in advance.

You can transfer your Wyndham points into RCI and the inventory in the RCI portal is denominated in Wyndham points (as mentioned above, it's only the weeks inventory for resale owners).

IMHO - it's a really bad use of Wyndham points to transfer them to RCI. I find the cost in Wyndham points for RCI Weeks are often 2X or 3X my costs using TPUs. But, I've used the Wyndham points for DVC, because of the fixed grid I think that high TPU reservations might be better using Wyndham Points (or perhaps at a less terrible exchange rate). Plus, using Wyndham Points in RCI isn't subject to the DVC regional block that my TPUs suffer.

Last edited:

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can transfer your Wyndham points into RCI and the inventory in the RCI portal is denominated in Wyndham points (as mentioned above, it's only the weeks inventory for resale owners).

IMHO - it's a really bad use of Wyndham points to transfer them to RCI. I find the cost in Wyndham points for RCI Weeks are often 2X or 3X my costs using TPUs. But, I've used the Wyndham points for DVC, because of the fixed grid I think that high TPU reservations might be better using Wyndham Points (or perhaps at a less terrible exchange rate). Plus, using Wyndham Points in RCI isn't subject to the DVC regional block that my TPUs suffer.

Agreed that the best use of Wyndham points is direct Wyndham reservations. Credit pooling gives you flexibility over the longest period of time. One point - you'll want to make sure regular use and cancelled points are used first before your credit pooled points - to keep the flexibility (longer life) of the credit pooled points. if you get to a point where you have to cancel a reservation, you'll want to make sure your next reservation is made with the cancelled points FIRST before any other points, because cancelled points don't have the same flexibility. The online system uses cancelled points LAST, so you'll have to call to make this happen.

Also, as a resale owner, you have to credit pool your points BEFORE the use year begins. So you can't credit pool your 2015 points. You can credit pool 2016 and 2017 - basically as soon as they are visible in your account.

If you can't use the points for Wyndham reservations and the points can't be credit pooled, depositing to RCI is the next best option. But if it's only a small number of leftover points, you are unlikely to be able to do much with it.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
But thats not my goal. I have credit pooled my 2017 points and they are pretty much already in reservations. I use the credit pool so I can use future points today, not to push todays points into the future.

I do not think most owners, including the OP, plan to run a rental business on margin in this way.

If an owner regularly has to reach two years into the future for the points they need, they do not own enough points and should consider buying more resale points.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not think most owners, including the OP, plan to run a rental business on margin in this way.

If an owner regularly has to reach two years into the future for the points they need, they do not own enough points and should consider buying more resale points.

Im not suggesting that the op use the credit pool the way I do, but credit pooling everything can help avoid the issue of leftover points at the end of the year.

You do have to avoid going crazy like me, or you will find yourself with no points and still paying maintenance fees. (thats when I buy another contract)