• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Going to Cabo in Feb & passport expires in June. Do I have to renew before I go?

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are flying to Mexico for 1 week in February, but I see that my passport expires in June of 2012. So, that means there will still be 4 months of validity left on it. I can't remember if you only need 3 months validity past your travel dates, or if it's 6 months.

I checked the US State Department website but I couldn't find anything. Anyone have any experience with this lately?

If I do have to renew it before I go, would I have to have the passport expedited at this point to make sure I get it back by President's Day? Or, if I just have it processed in the regular way is the turnaround time less than 6 weeks? I would hate to risk not having it back in time.

Thanks for any opinions, thoughts, or suggestions.

--- Rene

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the passport needed to be valid for another 6 months from date of departure, but, I'm sure someone who knows for sure will advise.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I found this on Travel.State.Gov

Q:How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?
a:If you were over age 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.
If you were age 15 or younger when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check the Mexican Consulate's website and the airline's. If none of them require extra time, you are good to go, just renew when you get home. If you opt to renew beforehand, you have plenty of time. Turnaround for our SIL & grands' passports was only about 3 weeks recently.

Jim

SDMiller

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only time I saw this an issue was when we traveled to Africa - they did check the expiration date, most other countries did not - some didn't even catch my last name didn't match the Visa or the airline ticket. So I believe it would vary according to the country.

SD

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Passport

I, too, have been told that you can't go to Mexico if your passport expires within 6 months. I don't recall whether that relates to arrival or departure date...but I think it's arrival (how would they know when you plan to depart?).

jbcoug

Reaction score
I, too, have been told that you can't go to Mexico if your passport expires within 6 months. I don't recall whether that relates to arrival or departure date...but I think it's arrival (how would they know when you plan to depart?).

Not knowing when you will depart is exactly the reason they want a buffer period before expiration. In case you weren't aware, a tourist visa is good for 180 days (six months).

John

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Passport

I think I saw a similiar post a long time ago and it said the passport has to be valid for 6 months as of the day of departure

DonnaD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
Passport must be good for at least 6 months

I hope that you have renewed your passport. I was informed by Grand circle Tours to make sure our passports are good for 6 months beyond our return date.

GregD

Reaction score
I never new passports needed to be valid 6 months after a departure date! I always assumed that as long as you were home by the expireation date you would be fine... I am Canadian and am woundering if it is the same for us?

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I saw a similiar post a long time ago and it said the passport has to be valid for 6 months as of the day of departure

I think it depends on where you are going. I went to Aruba in January of this year and returned 3 days prior to my passport expiration date, with no problems and I asked AA before I left and was told travel to Aruba only needs a valid passport with a return date before expiration. I thought Mexico and Canada had the same requirements and don't need six months prior to expiration.

I then went to Israel in June and renewed my passport and my wife's passport as soon as we returned from Aruba since both were expiring within six monts.:hi:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not knowing when you will depart is exactly the reason they want a buffer period before expiration. In case you weren't aware, a [Mexican] tourist visa is good for 180 days (six months).

John

This makes sense. By requiring that a visitor's passport is valid for the entire period of a tourist visa, they make sure you will be valid to enter your home country when your visa expires.

Incidentally, the OP was 6 weeks ago and time is getting short for renewal (without expediting at extra charge) before a February departure.

CURIOUS1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We traveled to Cabo in November 2010 & my passport expired in January 2011. I never had an issue while in Mexico.

I think it depends on how long you are staying in Mexico. Probably if you are staying over the time that your passport expires; I would renew my passport.

I never knew about the 6 months window period. Interesting?