• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are there adults only timeshares?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Could a pool legally set aside times for free swim and lap swim only?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Maybe it depends on where the pool is?

The pool at my dd's high school was also the community pool. They had times that the pool was for school use only, and times where it was for community use. They had an area of the pool that was designated for lap swimming, and that must have had to have specific times as it was right under the diving boards.

mtwingcpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

So long as the limitation is not based on age (or other "discriminatory" factor), I'd guess it would be OK. For example, I believe pools are allowed to have a "quiet" time, so long as it is not based on age.

Actual enforcement is another issue... ;-)

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Expert Legal Advice

Maybe TUG should set up a separate Forum with reference to Attorneys offering low cost or free legal advice on line! Getting to be too much for us "Jail House Lawyers"!

LEGAL ADVICE

Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers from Legal Professionals at Avvo.com
http://www.avvo.com/ask-a-lawyer - 21k - similar pagesPost a question (anonymously) and get free legal advice direct from experienced lawyers near you.

Ask a Lawyer - Lawyers.com
http://www.lawyers.com/ask-a-lawyer/ask-a-question.html - 199k - similar pagesWant a good answer? Ask a thorough question starting with "Who, What, When, How, Will I or Do I" then add some details this will help you get a quicker and ...

Ask a Lawyer a Question Online - Free Legal Advice - Rocket Lawyer
https://www.rocketlawyer.com/legal-advice.rl - 51k - similar pagesAsk a lawyer. Free legal advice from lawyers in your state. Ask a legal question to real lawyers. Get an answer from a lawyer that specializes in your issue.

Ask a Lawyer Online. Get an Answer ASAP! | LII / Legal Information ...
http://www.law.cornell.edu/justanswer_interstitial - 25k - similar pagesAsk a Lawyer Online. Get an Answer ASAP! Questions asked here are answered promptly and efficiently by experts at our commercial partner, JustAnswer.com.

Ask an Attorney - Ask A Lawyer
http://ask-a-lawyer.freeadvice.com/law-questions/ - 45k - similar pagesPost your legal question on Ask A Lawyer to receive a reply from an attorney or legal professional.

Free Advice - Free Legal Advice and Answers to Law Questions ...
http://www.freeadvice.com/ - 54k - 8 hours ago - similar pagesAsk Your Question. Get answers from experienced lawyers, consumers & insurance pros. Ask a Lawyer Ask the Community Ask an Insurance Pro ...

Ask a Legal Question - LawGuru Answers: Ask an Attorney a Free ...
http://www.lawguru.com/answers/ - 100k - similar pagesGet a free answer to your legal question on LawGuru.com. Find free answers and free legal advice to legal questions from the LawGuru network of attorneys.

Justia Legal Answers - Free Answers from Lawyers to your Legal ...
http://answers.justia.com/ - 60k - 12 hours ago - similar pagesAsk your questions to lawyers for free at Justia Legal Answers.

Ask a Lawyer Online - Ask Legal Questions on JustAnswer
http://www.justanswer.com/law/ - 108k - similar pagesHave legal questions? Need help understanding the legal process and your legal rights? Ask a Lawyer and get answers ASAP.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
So long as the limitation is not based on age (or other "discriminatory" factor), I'd guess it would be OK. For example, I believe pools are allowed to have a "quiet" time, so long as it is not based on age.

Actual enforcement is another issue... ;-)

Again, I wonder what the criteria is. A few years back we were staying in Steamboat Springs, CO. We were using the community pools and hot springs. You did have to be a member, or pay, to use the facility. They did have "adult only" time in the pools, when all of the kids had to get out. And yes, it was based on age.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

At Smugglers Notch they do set aside one hour for an adult lap swim at one of the pools.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I think VegasBella is correct here folks. I did some poking around and it looks like it is illegal to have an adults only HOA. It appears illegal to even have adult only floors (cannot segregate floors based on familial status, including kids vs no kids). The only exceptions appear to be exemptions based on housing the elderly.

If it were a private club it would be different, but a timeshare is considered "housing" and all the housing laws apply, including families with children.

A federal case in California ruled that it is illegal to have adult only swim time in an HOA pool. Pretty crazy.

http://www.davis-stirling.com/MainIndex/PoolDiscrimination/tabid/1232/Default.aspx#axzz3B8G1TB9q

The link Saintsfanfl posted addresses most of these issues.
It appears that many timeshares are not strictly following the law and if challenged they could face fines.

According to the link Saintsfanfl posted and other resources I read online (NOLO etc)...
If the pool is at a place that falls under the Fair Housing Act (homes, condos, apartments, hotels, motels, timeshares) then it can set a "lap swim" time but not an "adults only time."

They can make age restrictions but they have to be reasonable relating to safety. For example, "Children under 14 may not use the pool without adult supervision" or "Children under 5 may not use the hot tub" or "Children under 12 must have capacity to swim 25 meters unassisted in order to use this pool."

Maybe it depends on where the pool is?

The pool at my dd's high school was also the community pool. They had times that the pool was for school use only, and times where it was for community use. They had an area of the pool that was designated for lap swimming, and that must have had to have specific times as it was right under the diving boards.

Club pools can have different rules. They do not fall under the restrictions of the FHA.

Also, special organizations could "rent" a pool for a specified time if allowed by the club or HOA. This would be similar to how some timeshares and hotels may rent a space on the property for weddings. I'm guessing this is what the school did for the community pool - they rented it during that time.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Are you an attorney or a non-attorney spokesman ?

Not being flippant here, but I am thinking the latter.

-

If you're truly curious, I went to law school for 2 years and then dropped out to become a wife and mother. Got good grades the entire time. I never took the BAR and never practiced law.
Truth be told, I prefer logic. I loved taking the LSAT much more than law school itself.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're truly curious, I went to law school for 2 years and then dropped out to become a wife and mother. Got good grades the entire time. I never took the BAR and never practiced law.
Truth be told, I prefer logic. I loved taking the LSAT much more than law school itself.

Not curious, doubtful, but not curious.

Of course you could not take the Bar or practice law as you did not finish law school. That's a logical statement.

Yes, I can see you did not finish. This explains why you continue to insert Googled snippets as law.

Here's something with relevance: http://ca.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.20110523_0000806.SCA.htm/qx

-

Last edited:

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Amazing that this thread has become so argumentative!

Anyway... I would be interested in an adult only timeshare. It wouldn't be my only vacation option but sure, it would be appealing. I have children and grandchildren of my own who I certainly enjoy but in the same way that I don't want to sit next to other people's kids in a restaurant, I would also appreciate a resort that was kid-free occasionally.

Deb

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course you could not take the Bar or practice law as you did not finish law school. That's a logical statement.

Actually it's not a logical statement at all. You are incorrect because not every state requires a law degree. CA, NY, WA, VT, VA, WY, and ME have alternative requirements to completing a law degree.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually it's not a logical statement at all. You are incorrect because not every state requires a law degree. CA, NY, WA, VT, VA, WY, and ME have alternative requirements to completing a law degree.

In Nevada you do.

Non sequitur.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Casa Velas in Puerto Vallarta Mexico is adults only!!! Probably why I keep returning over and over.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Your logic is flawed as you have erroneously excluded some possibilities:

As pointed out, there are some states where you can take the BAR without a law degree. Furthermore, many take the BAR before graduating.

There are also cases of people who have practiced law without a degree nor having taken the BAR. They have done so when representing themselves or they have done so illegally or perhaps in another country.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
OK - let's get back on topic - this is getting pretty tedious... Any further off-topic posts will be deleted.

geekette

Reaction score
To be honest I took the comment a little bit personal because wanting to exclude all children is a little like saying all children are unruly, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and to vacation where they desire. But that said, I am not sure why my response would be considered a "personal" insult. It is more of a tit for tat. Those that prefer adult only resorts due to the "unruly children" and "ignorant parents" are likely not the types that families would prefer to have around.

Interesting. Probably you are right, the unruly children and ignorant parents would likely prefer an Anything Goes atmosphere vs having to be considerate of others.

geekette

Reaction score
My first thought upon reading the start of this thread -- and I was surprised no one else has mentioned it -- one of the biggest selling points for a timeshare is for a family to be able to bring kids, prepare food, and NOT be stuck in a small hotel room.

Depends on who you're selling to, it's certainly not a selling point for me.

I enjoy inviting family and friends along but they are Adults. I like everyone getting to have a private bedroom, a living room for us all to gather in, a dining table that fits all of us. Timeshares are not just for the nuclear family with persons under 18.

It's easy enough to avoid kids by time of year or resort amenities (the less onsite stuff to do for kids the more likely parents will book elsewhere -- I would never book a Disney cruise for example). An extra selling point in an Adults Only facility would be that there isn't kiddie ruckus or playing in the elevators or swimming in the lazy river, etc.

I have no problem with normal decent considerate kids, even screaming and running in appropriate venues at appropriate times, but I cannot correct someone else's child and am not keen on seeing more little darlings running in the pool area and falling. Suffering consequences of their actions quietly isn't something kids are too keen on.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Adult problem not kid problem

Of course this is only my feelings but I don't feel most of the problems are kids, but parents. When did good parenting stop? We brought are son and daughter with us and sometimes their friends for about 20 years. My best memory was eating dinner at a nice timeshare restaurant and shortly before we finished we had an elderly couple stop by our table and tell us what great parents we were. I was kind of shocked and asked why they said that? Their answer was that when we walked in they fretted about us bringing the kids into a nice restaurant
but after seeing how well they behaved they said they needed to compliment us.
I thanked them and asked if they could please tell that to the kids? Our kids were 4 and 10 at the time.
One Proud Parent,
Bart