• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Very NEW to timeshare [Tahiti Village - past rescission]

Lborneke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Las Vegas
Tahiti Village, Las Vegas
Thank you again to everyone for your replies. The points we bought are RCI points. Right now, I am just going to sit back and try to learn about RCI and what I have. I bought a timeshare and it may be expensive but I am now an owner and that is that. I have plenty of other battles going on in my life right now and I can't take on another one. So the price may be a negative. The unit we bought will only sleep 4 so that is a negative. We may need more points to do what we want, like trade into Disney-that is a negative.

BUT- Since I have more than enough drama in my life, I have to look at what is POSITIVE. 1. I have a timeshare so there are no excuses to not go on vacation. 2. They are RCI points so I am not restricted by time of year or location, I have the freedom to choose when and where. I do not need to make deposits, I can just watch and buy with my points. 3. I can use my points for a unit that WILL sleep 5 people, I am not stuck with staying in the smaller unit. 4. The resort we bought into is a beautiful resort. 5. And from what I understand, RCI points all bank into the same pool so that is a positive if/when I decide to buy more. 6. If I need help, I am sure I can find the help somewhere. :)

Right now, I am just going to wait for my welcome package that will have my membership information. Then I am going to take the time to learn about what I have and how to make it work to my best advantage and to actually get into the RCI site and explore it better. I am hoping That if I learn to use it right, that 40,000 points odd years will be enough. If, not, then I guess I will have to figure out how to get more.

Thank you again to everyone for your comments.

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana (VV x 2), Hyatt KW, Hilton (3x), Tahiti Village
Thank you again to everyone for your replies. The points we bought are RCI points. Right now, I am just going to sit back and try to learn about RCI and what I have. I bought a timeshare and it may be expensive but I am now an owner and that is that. I have plenty of other battles going on in my life right now and I can't take on another one. So the price may be a negative. The unit we bought will only sleep 4 so that is a negative. We may need more points to do what we want, like trade into Disney-that is a negative.

BUT- Since I have more than enough drama in my life, I have to look at what is POSITIVE. 1. I have a timeshare so there are no excuses to not go on vacation. 2. They are RCI points so I am not restricted by time of year or location, I have the freedom to choose when and where. I do not need to make deposits, I can just watch and buy with my points. 3. I can use my points for a unit that WILL sleep 5 people, I am not stuck with staying in the smaller unit. 4. The resort we bought into is a beautiful resort. 5. And from what I understand, RCI points all bank into the same pool so that is a positive if/when I decide to buy more. 6. If I need help, I am sure I can find the help somewhere. :)

Right now, I am just going to wait for my welcome package that will have my membership information. Then I am going to take the time to learn about what I have and how to make it work to my best advantage and to actually get into the RCI site and explore it better. I am hoping That if I learn to use it right, that 40,000 points odd years will be enough. If, not, then I guess I will have to figure out how to get more.

Thank you again to everyone for your comments.

Great way to look at it. We too bought at Tahiti Village (8 years ago - I thought it was six, but I checked our paperwork today).

It took me 8 years to find TUG to find out that our unit - same one you bought every-other-year was being sold for $1. We couldn't believe it, but now we are educated. We have enjoyed our timeshare (even if we overpaid for it), we have stayed at Tahiti Village, traded to Maui and Palm Springs.

From a financial viewpoint, I look at it as the same situation as buying a new vs used car. We all know new cars lose their value the moment you drive it off the lot, but yet people still buy new cars when they can buy a late model used car and save thousands. Same as shopping at a Mall vs. an outlet mall. Why pay retail? But we all learn and enjoy our retail purchases.

Guess what, we bought the $1 Tahiti Village Timeshare as well to add to our existing Tahiti Village for added exchange opportunities. We will be visiting the property soon to learn about their RCI point conversion (we own weeks and not points, sounds like it is worth 42K RCI points), I already know we will pass since we can trade RCI through our Hilton and Wyndham timeshares.

At the end of the day, pay it off as soon as you can if you financed it and enjoy your vacations.

Welcome to TUG!

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I think of things I've overpaid for over the years, $12k isn't the end of the world. Could have been much worse. On my last sales presentation they offered me a $99k week ;)

So good attitude to have. Make the best of it and plan some fun vacations!

Lborneke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Las Vegas
Thank you! Tahiti Village does look to be a nice resort and my husband does enjoy Las Vegas so we may go back a few times. We are also thinking that we are going to want more points because we will want to exchange for places like Disney. I am assuming that to keep things simple, we will want to stick with RCI points. Beyond that, does it really matter which resorts we get the points from? Is it best to look for home resort points or someplace else entirely? I obviously have to wait until I get my RCI number, but I have been looking to get an idea of what is out there. Is it wrong of me to expect to get a high number of points for a buck and low MF, like $3-400/year? What clues do I need to look for to make sure the deal is legitimate and how do I know for sure if the deed is still under a contract and if there are hidden costs?

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
General rule is lower MF higher up front cost. Look at over 10 years.

MF $600 a year equals $6,000 but free.

MF $500 a year equals $5,000 and $1,000 upfront cost.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Obviously other variables such as location, ARP, is parking free, possible day use, amount of reserves, etc. but one has to zero in on a specific resort to make a decision.

Last edited:

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Don't feel bad - we've all been there. My developer purchase was $107,000 for 2 weeks - yikes$. Still, if you are one of the purchasers and you didn't sign the contract, you don't have a contract.

I would be very surprised if they would sue you for specific performance. The legal expense is more than the sale price. Before you give them the rest of the money, you might want to check how much it would cost you for a resale. If that amount plus the deposit money is less than your current purchase price, I would walk away. They will take your money and sell it to someone else.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
suzannesimon;1666132 I would be very surprised if they would sue you for specific performance. The legal expense is more than the sale price. Before you give them the rest of the money said:
You are assuming Developer is financing. If a "non recourse note" to a third party "holder in due course" then they will be after them with a vengeance.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
That is true but did they already sign financing paperwork? Has the sale closed? Possibly they paid cash and it hasn't't closed yet.

Lborneke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Las Vegas
We both signed with 10 years to pay off. We decided to just go ahead with the deal and do a better job of thinking things through in the future.

CURIOUS1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We both signed with 10 years to pay off. We decided to just go ahead with the deal and do a better job of thinking things through in the future.
Hi Laura, we have owned at TV for years. We converted from weeks to points in 2012 and love the flexibility! We own a Royal Tahitian and a Moorea every year. We have used our points to stay 2 weeks at different locations in Mexico giving us a total of 4 weeks in Mexico! The points give you so much flexibility. You do have to pay the exchange fees before you can reserve through RCI. I'm not sure if this was explained to you or not.

There are benefits to being an RCI member. We have the Platinum plan and receive a $25.00 gift certificate for restaurant.com every month.

Also, the timeshares that are listed on E-Bay don't guarantee that you will receive the same benefits as the original owner enjoyed.

Mary Ellen

Lborneke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Las Vegas
Hi Mary Ellen, thank you for your reply. What do you mean by exchange fee? Are you referring to the $159.00 fee for reservations? We are also platinum members, or will be when our information comes sometime in the next couple of weeks. TV does look to be a nice resort. But I am assuming that 42,000 points odd years won't get me very far with a family of 5. :/ thanks again, Laura

CURIOUS1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Mary Ellen, thank you for your reply. What do you mean by exchange fee? Are you referring to the $159.00 fee for reservations? We are also platinum members, or will be when our information comes sometime in the next couple of weeks. TV does look to be a nice resort. But I am assuming that 42,000 points odd years won't get me very far with a family of 5. :/ thanks again, Laura

Laura, yes, I'm referring to the exchange fee for reservations. We haven't used our points for vacationing in the US. We use our points to travel outside the US and our exchange fee has been $209.00.

TV is a nice resort and there have been many upgrades interior and exterior. If you are on FB, there is a TV fan page. If you are interested, please email me and I can give you the web address. My email is medanuser1949@aol.com.

I just checked the RCI points grid and it will depend on the unit size and geographical location as to how many points you will need to reserve a unit that will accommodate your family of 5. I've been told by RCI that if you book closer to your desired vacation time, the points are less and also, being an RCI member, you are offered getaway prices which you could use to reserve accommodations for 5 people. These extra vacation offers will cost you extra money but nice vacations don't come cheap.

Once you receive your welcome package---take your time and look over the site. There is so much information to absorb but it will be worth it.

Mary Ellen