• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tax deductable

Millisara

TUG Member
Reaction score
I imagine that when you donate a timeshare to charity for resale that this is a tax deductable contribution. However if you bought that same timeshare would the purchase be considered a contribution and hence tax deductable? I would not think so. thanks (addicted to tug and timesharing now)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
great question

on the donation side the collective wisdom here on tug is: if you cant sell it, it must be worthless, so your donation to charity is a donation of $0

I think similar logic applies to a purchase from a charity

Heres an example: If you attend a charity dinner and the cost is $500, you cant deduct the entire $500 because you received something of value for your money....$500 less the value of the dinner ought to be an allowed deduction

using the same logic to the purchase of a timeshare from a charity...If you paid more than the timeshare is worth than maybe you have a deduction....But you probably paid exactly what its worth....so you received a dollars value for each dollar you spent, therefore no deduction

Please understand...Im not a CPA or Tax Attorney, so check what Im saying with someone that knows what they are talking about...My usual approach is; if I can make a reasonable argument for my deduction I do it and "when in doubt deduct" Some times i get away with it, sometimes not; but no jail time yet. and both times I was audited for real estate income and expenses, my return was accepted as filed