• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Custom House Platinum on Ebay Now

Sullco2

Reaction score
It sounds to me that a secondary buyer of CH would still have the ability to "break up" the week. So the primary benefit that one loses by not buying resale through Marriott is the Points conversion????

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I believe the 2BR plays a strong role on a pending request. The 2BR is going to be put in front of all the 1BR and Studio requests. It makes sense to deposit the entire 2BR if you are not flexible on dates and are trying for a difficult trade. For instant trading it would not make any sense to me.

It would makes sense than a 2br would be in front of a 1br and studio, but the question is how much inventory is available. If there is a fair amount, the 2br would get filled first and then the 1 br would also get filled. Most of the time that does happen.

I have been using 1 br and studios to get some fantastic trades at peak times like spring break and Xmas in Maui at the Marriott. I would think those would be difficult trades on very popular times and I did not need to use a 2br to get them. It is not to say that will be all the time, but the track record has been good.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
It sounds to me that a secondary buyer of CH would still have the ability to "break up" the week. So the primary benefit that one loses by not buying resale through Marriott is the Points conversion????

Yep and losing the right to empty your pockets to the developer :D

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would makes sense than a 2br would be in front of a 1br and studio, but the question is how much inventory is available. If there is a fair amount, the 2br would get filled first and then the 1 br would also get filled. Most of the time that does happen.

I have been using 1 br and studios to get some fantastic trades at peak times like spring break and Xmas in Maui at the Marriott. I would think those would be difficult trades on very popular times and I did not need to use a 2br to get them. It is not to say that will be all the time, but the track record has been good.

Another reason to deposit the whole 2BR is if you are placing a pending request at a resort that has less than 2BRs and you need a 2BR. For example, if you want a 2BR for Feb at Ocean Pointe you have to place a pending request since it is never available through instant exchange. You cannot do this with a 1BR or a Studio.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Are those resorts the only ones where you could buy an actual 1BR unit, as opposed to buying a 2BR that locks off to a 1BR and studio? If that's the case there doesn't seem to be anything "special" about how they trade, because can't anybody request for exchange something larger than what they own if they only choose resorts that don't have units as small as what's being deposited?
You can also buy a 1BR at Grand Chateau (and maybe others), so the list in II is not every Marriott where they have dedicated 1BRs. Someone also posted on TUG recently that they bought a 1BR at Ko Olina in the first phase of sales at that resort, although I can find nothing about 1 BR units in that resort's documentation.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also buy a 1BR at Grand Chateau (and maybe others), so the list in II is not every Marriott where they have dedicated 1BRs. Someone also posted on TUG recently that they bought a 1BR at Ko Olina in the first phase of sales at that resort, although I can find nothing about 1 BR units in that resort's documentation.

Could it be because Chateau was built after the list and in typical II fashion they have not updated it?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Another reason to deposit the whole 2BR is if you are placing a pending request at a resort that has less than 2BRs and you need a 2BR. For example, if you want a 2BR for Feb at Ocean Pointe you have to place a pending request since it is never available through instant exchange. You cannot do this with a 1BR or a Studio.

I agree. Comparing trading power of a 1BR and 2BR units when searching instant exchange doesn't mean much. The real difference between the two is important when placing an exchange request. That 2BR will trump the 1BR in almost all cases.

ccpinternational

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I purchase from secondary market, do I still have the ability to break the week to 3/4, 1/6....... That sounds to me is a great feature!

ccpinternational

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am bidding on this one. What will be the fair value for this EOY unit? $1500-2000?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am bidding on this one. What will be the fair value for this EOY unit? $1500-2000?

That sounds about right, but keep in mind you are eating the 2013 fee for free, so you really have to add that into the price. Selltimeshare.org always does this crap.

Prices swing all over depending on if there is more than one bidder after it for personal use. Some believe EOY's are worth less than annual, and Marriott values them at 50%. The wrinkle is that some buyers may only want eoy. To someone only wanting eoy, and where there isn't a ton of rental value, the eoy is actually worth more than the annual (to them). If you get two of those bidders, it jacks up the price. This one only has two bidders so far. I do not expect much jumping in at the end because of the closing company's reputation and the $1,257.01 fees added on top of the final bid price

An annual in January went for $3,895 all in. The seller was a high reputation legitimate real estate broker that only collects commission after the sale is completed. This one is already at $2,381.01 all in.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the price now, I don't believe the original listing in this thread is that much of a bargain now, but that's just MHO.

There's another CH on Ebay, an annual one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARRIOTTS-C...51244913777?pt=Timeshares&hash=item3a7f5d2471 It's one of the 29-30 day listings.

(Found my real glasses): By Judy Kozlowski (Timeshareresalepros)

•Week: 39
•Week Description: Floating
•Unit: 1402
•Unit Size: 1 Bedroom
•Season: Platinum
•First Year of Use: 2014
•Usage: Annual
•Property Type: Deeded
•Maintenance Fees: $1,276
•Real Estate Taxes: $81.03
•Transfer Fee: $120.00

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right, but keep in mind you are eating the 2013 fee for free, so you really have to add that into the price. Selltimeshare.org always does this crap.

Prices swing all over depending on if there is more than one bidder after it for personal use. Some believe EOY's are worth less than annual, and Marriott values them at 50%. The wrinkle is that some buyers may only want eoy. To someone only wanting eoy, and where there isn't a ton of rental value, the eoy is actually worth more than the annual (to them). If you get two of those bidders, it jacks up the price. This one only has two bidders so far. I do not expect much jumping in at the end because of the closing company's reputation and the $1,257.01 fees added on top of the final bid price

An annual in January went for $3,895 all in. The seller was a high reputation legitimate real estate broker that only collects commission after the sale is completed. This one is already at $2,381.01 all in.

I think these are well stated points. Some auctions will jump at the end because one or two individuals value it higher and the bidding war happens. Other times there won't be that element and it won't go so high.

Case in point the one in January went for 3,825 while I bought one in Feb for $$2300 all-in and that was a second chance offer where the winning bidder was $12 higher than my bid.

I do think however that there will be a run at the end as that seems to be the norm with good Marriotts on ebay nowadays. I just lost out on a Marriott Monarch gold week where people came out of the woodwork at the end to place bids. I guess we'll see.

jewls

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Custom House Boston
Not sure if I can even compete with all you very experienced TUGGERS. You have all taught me a lot though.

I do own 2 weeks at the Custom House. Approximately 10 years. Just a reference point for you. We have used one week to split, spent a 4th of July celebrating in Boston, Mother's Day, Birthday and girls night out for one of our weeks
Rented it for a political convention...for 3 times my maintenance.
traded into: Royal Carribean, Cancun 3 x"s, Aruba Surf Club (got 5th floor Ocean Front 2 bdrm), Newport Coast 2 bdrm, also received a bonus certificate with that trade, used the bonus for another 2 bdrm for the same week. We ended taking our 2 21+ yr old son & daughter with 4 friends. Had 4 bdrms, 4 baths, 2 kitchens, etc., Just went to St. Thomas 1st week in Nov. for a wedding, another 2 bdrm, Going to Ft. Lauderdale again got 2 2bdrm units...bringing friends with us, Rented 4th of July week 2 times, used it for our own use, use dpoints for airline tkts to Italy, Hotel in Rome, stayed 2 different weeks at Wentworth by the sea in New Castle, NH,
My point is, so far we have had amazing trades IMO. Everyone of them have been 2 bedrooms. We have received numerous bonus certificates.

Now with the new Marriott program...we are not so sure. Trades have not been as plentiful as years before. Our last bonus cert. was basically useless, others were awesome. Anything within 60 days.

Unfortunately we bought from Marriott not resale. Makes me sick to see the prices people are buying them at. Maintenance is high...it's historical. Location is amazing. As an owner Friday nights are owner night. Living close by you have the ability to go Friday night for drinks. Awesome on a nice summer night.

IMO it trades well, the new point system...it does not get many points and it is not worth it for us to buy into the new system. Guess we will see down the road.
Michele

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I would bow out if I were you. Once an active auction is publicized here, it isn't worth bidding on any longer. Simply too much exposure and more interest means you won't get a bargain price. Just look at the interest this thread alone has garnered (64 replies). Wait and watch for a gem that doesn't get posted here. Wait until the hype dies down some and you should get a good/decent deal.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I was tempted to bump this and try and win it because it would go nice with my odd year week but actually got distracted watching the NatGeo channel and missed the end.

I am surprised it didn't have some action at the end but the closing was so high it turned me and I'm sure many others. I can understand a higher closing perhaps when more money is involved and escrow is then warranted but at that price it should be half that for closing.

Plus with the usage next year 2013 MF which had to already been paid is just another way to make the purchase price higher. For me the true purchase price on this was $1700+ so let's see what the annual goes for that is listed now and compare which is a better deal. My guess is somewhere in the $2200-$2700 range for the annual.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Was watching this

I was ready to jump in for this but others pointed out the bi-annual usage, MFs, and other built in fees that I overlooked. It's not as good a deal when you factor all of that in.

Thanks tuggers!

ccpinternational

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would bow out if I were you. Once an active auction is publicized here, it isn't worth bidding on any longer. Simply too much exposure and more interest means you won't get a bargain price. Just look at the interest this thread alone has garnered (64 replies). Wait and watch for a gem that doesn't get posted here. Wait until the hype dies down some and you should get a good/decent deal.

I am glad that I was out bid on this auction. I am finalizing another annual usage platinum MCU, the sale price is $2000 plus $600 fees. Thanks for all the information here.

ccpinternational

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is RTU until 2057. That's a very good price for sure.

Joe, help me on this. The unit I purchased in March passed ROFR from Marriott.

And the closing company asked us to sign and notarize the document called

"ASSIGNMENT OF TIMESHARE LEASEHOLD INTEREST WITHOUT EXAMINATION OF TITLE"

Is this normal for Custom House? Because I have another RTU Marriott Phuket purchase, and they never asked me this document.

Michael

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe, help me on this. The unit I purchased in March passed ROFR from Marriott.

And the closing company asked us to sign and notarize the document called

"ASSIGNMENT OF TIMESHARE LEASEHOLD INTEREST WITHOUT EXAMINATION OF TITLE"

Is this normal for Custom House? Because I have another RTU Marriott Phuket purchase, and they never asked me this document.

Michael
I just signed one as well but that is because I declined title insurance. If that is your intention then you need to sign.

ccpinternational

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just signed one as well but that is because I declined title insurance. If that is your intention then you need to sign.

Joe, the Customs House unit just appeared in my account. However, as I asked you before, if the resale unit has the ability to book shorter stays, I can only book for 7days. Do I need to call them to book 1 day or 2days?

I did an online chatting with the agent and I was told that the resale week cannot be split.

Michael

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe, the Customs House unit just appeared in my account. However, as I asked you before, if the resale unit has the ability to book shorter stays, I can only book for 7days. Do I need to call them to book 1 day or 2days?

I did an online chatting with the agent and I was told that the resale week cannot be split.

Michael

A week is a week. Some, but perhaps not all, Marriott Resorts allow an owner to split a week into a 3 and a 4 night stay. However shorter stays are not permitted for weeks owners. To book shorter stays you need to be a DC points member - either a DC Trust points owner or an enrolled legacy weeks owner.

Even then there are limits on when you can reserve shorter stays - you need to be Premier Plus (13,000+ points) to book a single night stay at 13 months out.

Failing that you can book single nights for cash or MR points if they are available on Marriott.com

ccpinternational

TUG Member
Reaction score
A week is a week. Some, but perhaps not all, Marriott Resorts allow an owner to split a week into a 3 and a 4 night stay. However shorter stays are not permitted for weeks owners. To book shorter

:clap:nice to see you here!

According to the custom house owner here, it has a unique occupancy rule that can be reserved for 1 or 2 days only.