• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How well does a Gold week trade into Hilton Head midsummer?

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven't yet tried trading our gold Surfwatch into the Platinum season. However, next year the July-August timeframe works better for us then our usual Gold season. So the question is, with the 150% demand for Hilton Head resorts at that time, will our Surfwatch have enough pull?

I read the thread about priority of exchanging back into your own resort, but it says the season/demand takes priority...We have been able to pull Platinum weeks for other areas, but they are not at the same level of demand that HH is!!!

Has anyone been successful exchanging a gold week into Hilton Head Platinum?

Thanks for any input.

Norma

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
It can happen

I was able to trade our silver Barony in for a platinum 2011 week at Barony thru II. I had the request in about 14 months in advance. Couldn't believe when I got it, especially with all the speculation about Marriott grabbing weeks for DC. Maybe it was a fluke. :ponder:

It was way too hot for me, so think I'll stick to our spring / fall weeks.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven't yet tried trading our gold Surfwatch into the Platinum season. However, next year the July-August timeframe works better for us then our usual Gold season. So the question is, with the 150% demand for Hilton Head resorts at that time, will our Surfwatch have enough pull?

I read the thread about priority of exchanging back into your own resort, but it says the season/demand takes priority...We have been able to pull Platinum weeks for other areas, but they are not at the same level of demand that HH is!!!

Has anyone been successful exchanging a gold week into Hilton Head Platinum?

Thanks for any input.

Norma
If you went for the last two weeks in the summer I would say your chances are good. Any other time and you may not see GO and the others at the top tier.

AMJ

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used my sport week at Cypress Harbour to exchange into Barony and Monarch during the month of July many times. I usually place my request more than 14 months in advance. All exchanges were confirmed prior to the existence of the Destination Club.

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
barony gold for platinum

I was able to exchange my Barony gold for a Barony platinum week but I gave II all of July and half of August to match... this was before Destination points... so I bet it is much more difficult now.

Put your request in as soon as possible and let II have the largest window you can travel. It also helps if you book your gold week you plan to deposit during the week of the HHI golf tournament in April.

Good Luck!

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't speak about gold but if there is a way to look at my old posts (and more important the responses I got), you will see how trading into Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head was all but impossible for summer of 2011. I own a Platinum Willowridge week. To be fair, I was trying to trade in with only the one bedroom, but that was only because this was my first year of owning a Marriott and I didn't know that depositing a full two bedroom would have been better.

I too, would like to know if anyone with a gold week or platinum week from a non Carolina resort was able to get Hilton Head of Myrtle Beach this summer.

With that said I was able to get an Easter Week with the one bedroom side of my 2011 Willowridge summer week. Then with my 2012 4th of July Willowridge week, I locked off the unit and was able to get a one bedroom and two bedroom at OceanPointe for 4th of July 2012. I think those were pretty good trades and from a resort that might be equal to a gold week from the Carolinas.

I have very little trading experience, and have only owned Marriott for about 10 months so I would go with what other more experienced traders have to say, but my experience trying to get into the Carolinas this year was not good. Lots of other people expressed the same frustration. I know that other platinum owners of beach resorts traded in without any problem, though.

nbafan23

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Gold Season Surfwatch and for most of my years I traded back to Surfwatch into the Platinum season. I always was able to get an August week and I would agree that the last two of August are probably easier to get as an exchange- I also requested at the 12 months out and rec'd priority because I was an owner. I did not trade into Surfwatch in 2011 because I went to Hawaii and got a March Ko'Olina trade. I had a beautiful oceanview and thought I made out quite well with my exchange!

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As mentioned above, the last two weeks of August, schools have started along much of the east coast, and early September are not difficult. I have traded into the Barony and the Monarch using silver and bronze Barony weeks during that time period.

rapjr

Reaction score
I had success trading the L/O 1 BR side Aruba Surf Club gold for the first week of September at Barony (technically gold season as platinum runs through August). My request included the last week of August but I snagged the September week when it came through because the specific week didn't matter to me. It came very quickly, I requested 9/18 and was confirmed 10/1. I'm not saying that indicates waiting would have landed me a platinum week, but I was pleased with how quickly my request was confirmed, albeit a gold week. My request included Grande Ocean and I had a slight preference for it, but I took the Barony week because I wasn't much for waiting/risk taking in this case...I just wanted the week on the books.

Last edited: