• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please assist

malago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got confirmed into Barony for Aug. and my II history shows the follows:
Marriott's Barony Beach Club • MBY
Unit: TOGA (2 bedrooms)

Would anyone know what location the unit is.....appears to be Garden?
many thanks.

Last edited:

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
You will be placed in Gardenview no matter what at Barony. Last summer, my II exchange showed that I had a OceanFront unit. I was placed in Gardenview. That is their policy. All exchangers, except if you're an owner exchanging back in, will be placed in Gardenview. Not the greatest thing, but their policy.

I called several times to make sure I would get the OceanFront and was told each time that I would. When I arrived and was given Gardenview, I complained and was told that is their policy. Each resort can do whatever they want with exchangers.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's terrible! Why wouldn't they tell you about their "policy" the first time you phoned? Why lead you on until you get there? Nasty!

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning....

This is part of what I call the "reverse skim". Any owner with a "view" OF,OV etc. Is very likely to lose that view when doing a like for like exchange thru Ii. ii does not recognize "views" and the resort that one has exchanged into usually put exchangers at the bottom of the food chain.

Let's take the example of the OF owner at Koolina that trades into Waiohai. The unit at Waiohaibwill most likely be IV. With points one can actually beat the skim and come out ahead. The koolina OF will get 4600 pts,where the IV waiohai costs 4250. The owner still loses the view but at least gets a few extra points in the process. The points DC trader can guarantee the view by spending the extra points,pending availability....

Just saying'

My guru upon purchasing told me that as a "trader" I would be better off saving some $$$ and not purchasing a "view". I appreciated her honesty as she took less commission to help save a customer a fee $$$$

I don't believe the II code means anything as the resort has the right to place exchangers anywhere it pleases in accordance with it's rules.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Let's take the example of the OF owner at Koolina that trades into Waiohai. The unit at Waiohaibwill most likely be IV. With points one can actually beat the skim and come out ahead. The koolina OF will get 4600 pts,where the IV waiohai costs 4250. The owner still loses the view but at least gets a few extra points in the process. The points DC trader can guarantee the view by spending the extra points,pending availability....

And, using points, the Ko Olina IV cannot get into Waiohai at all (well, maybe only 5 days)

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
You will be placed in Gardenview no matter what at Barony. Last summer, my II exchange showed that I had a OceanFront unit. I was placed in Gardenview. That is their policy. All exchangers, except if you're an owner exchanging back in, will be placed in Gardenview. Not the greatest thing, but their policy.

I called several times to make sure I would get the OceanFront and was told each time that I would. When I arrived and was given Gardenview, I complained and was told that is their policy. Each resort can do whatever they want with exchangers.

Are you talking about the Garden Villa's or what you consider a garden view? There may be a difference.

I believe there are the Garden Villa's and then there are the 4 other buildings but, those are ocean front and ocean view. However, ocean view is more a terminology than literally meaning ocean view. We were exchangers and we had an "ocean view" unit that had no view of the ocean. But, we were not placed in the garden villa's units.

Unit placement is based upon several factors and a particular hierchy. Owners staying on their owned time will be assigned their owned view. If there are enough owners at a particular resort to occupy all the ocean front units, it won't matter what your exchange confirmation might say. You'll be trumped by that resorts owners who paid for that view and are staying during their season. You'll also be trumped by any renters who paid for a particular view or by DC members who reserved a particular view.

Genreally speaking, most resort follow a particular hierchy for room placement.

1. Owners staying on their time in their season will be assigned the view type they purchased (garden villa's in garden villa's, ocean view in ocean view, ocean front in ocean front)

2. Renters who paid for a particular view or, DC members who reserved a particular view

3. Owners who have exchanged back into their resort but not during their owned season.

4. Marriott exchangers for other resorts who are mult. week owners.

6. Marriott exchangers from other resorts who are single week owners.

7. all other exchangers.

We were told our unit was an ocean view unit. Here is the view from that unit.

As you can see, there is no view of the ocean from this unit. Personally, I'd consider it a garden view but, Marriott's term was ocean view.

The Garden Villa's are in a little different location and have their own pool.

To be fair, we were not staying during the prime summer months of June, July or August. We were at Barony the first part of May. No doubt there were probably fewer owners staying on their time vs the high demand summer months. That may have led to us being placed in the main complex rather than what are termed the Garden Villas. I'm sure if we had been there during a higher demand time or, if there were a lot of owners staying on their time in their assigned/purchased views, we might have been placed differently.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
That's terrible! Why wouldn't they tell you about their "policy" the first time you phoned? Why lead you on until you get there? Nasty!

Any time I've called ahead for any of the Marriott resorts, they've never told me a where my unit will be. Only that we'd receive the unit size we exchanged into. Even at our home resorts, they won't tell us what unit we're in until we arrive at the resort.

Unless you own the view or pay for the view (rent or DC points), views and/or unit location can not be guarenteed.

CAROLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
My experiences have been different. We have always gotten the unit "view" or better that has been stated in II. Last summer we used our studio from the surf club to exchange into Barony during the last week of August. The view in II was "xxOF" and we were given an Ocean Front Room. The year before we exchanged into the Oceanwatch. We were given an Ocean Front room and it said so in II. (used the surfwatch for the exchange) We also used a bonus week for the week before at the Oceanwatch, which said "xxos" and were given an Ocean Side Room.

I guess those rooms were available and we were lucky.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Views

We used to own at Barony Beach Club. We bought an Oceanview unit. Due to the ecological restrictions on Hilton Head, the developers were not allowed to cut down the trees. So what people bought as Oceanview turned into courtyard view (my terminology). The gardenview units are across the street from the main entrance of the resort. We actually traded in our unit there for a 3 bedroom 3 bath Surfwatch unit. (of course we had to add some money to the deal). Marriott was willing to make deals then and it worked in our favor. Both were platinum weeks. Regardless of the view you are in enjoy your time there as Hilton Head Island is a special place. Try Santa Fe Cafe, Tapas and Redfish--they are all excellent restaurants.:wave:

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning...

Dan,knew you were out there lurking.....

I own koolina mountain view. I get 4025 pts. It would cost me 4250 door some waiohais and 4900 for some others,depending on dates. Both are iv...youarecorrect,this would be 6 days...I would only accept the skim,if I wanted an exact date and was willing to pay a premium. Otherwise,I could Dian old fashioned ii exchange and take my chances. My point is that sometimes points are better. Someti es old-fashioned is better...

If owned of at koolina,I would have enuf points to get the waiohai iv with some points left over. The reverse skim!

I have options.... Using points I have 3 units for 5 nits at park city Jan 2012. How could I possibly do that as a trader thru ii?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
My experiences have been different. We have always gotten the unit "view" or better that has been stated in II. Last summer we used our studio from the surf club to exchange into Barony during the last week of August. The view in II was "xxOF" and we were given an Ocean Front Room. The year before we exchanged into the Oceanwatch. We were given an Ocean Front room and it said so in II. (used the surfwatch for the exchange) We also used a bonus week for the week before at the Oceanwatch, which said "xxos" and were given an Ocean Side Room.

I guess those rooms were available and we were lucky.

My experiences have also been different. Every time we have exchanged we have been confirmed into an ocean view or ocean front and every time at every resort we have gotten exactly what we were confirmed into. Our Hawaii resorts claim that they always honor the type of unit on the reservation and I have always found that to be the case.

If you are confirmed into an ocean view it is hard to see how you could easily get a garden view. Why? Because there are only so many of the ocean view units that have been booked and you have one of them. The resort will not normally upgrade you from a garden view to an ocean view and bump down someone who is confirmed to an ocean view. Maybe if the resort is not full they might upgrade a trader who is an owner (without bumping someone else). About the only way a downgrade might happen is if the resort upgrades a multiple week owner at the same resort who is trading back to his own resort, but this type of downgrade would be unusual and would not occur frequently, in my experience.

Last edited:

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon...

I have been trading for 7 years. The first few trades,regardless of the code I snagged the worst view available. On questioning this, I was shown the resort hierarchy for room assignments which is just as doug posted. Then, before 1 trip I called the resort and told them I would be willing to stay in the room for mobility impaired guests (as long as it wasn't needed). I have snagged great views since!

Views don't mean much to me (except parking lot) but just reporting that a "view" owner can get skimmed on view with II exchanges....

BarbS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've found that sometimes we get the view on our reservation and sometimes we don't. Usually, we don't, especially at Oceanwatch. The last trade we made back into Barony, the reservation said courtyard view (I think) and that's what we got. Since we are owners I had requested one of the front two buildings, where the view could have been oceanside or oceanfront. When I questioned the assignment and reminded them we were OF owners, they told me.......I had already been upgraded to courtyard view.......and that traders (unless they're owners) always get garden view. I noticed there is a sign at the reception desk to let them know if you are multiple week owners. They led me to believe if we had owned two weeks at the time, we most likely would have gotten our request filled. I will find out the next time we trade in, as we now own two weeks.

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
Barony has no 'ocean view' rooms

FYI:

Barony only has garden view, ocean side, and ocean front 2 bedroom condos.

TOGA is for the garden view condos which are in the villas behind the Westin hotel.

VILA is the category for the ocean side condos which are all of the rooms on the side of the 4 buildings ( Bayberry and Live Oak furthest from the beach) located beachfront.

TBOF is the category for the ocean front rooms which are in the front of the 2 buildings (Morning Glory and Seaoat) facing the ocean.

All of the buildings are only 5 stories tall, so only a few of the 'oceanside' villas actually have an ocean view.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
FYI:

Barony only has garden view, ocean side, and ocean front 2 bedroom condos.

TOGA is for the garden view condos which are in the villas behind the Westin hotel.

VILA is the category for the ocean side condos which are all of the rooms on the side of the 4 buildings ( Bayberry and Live Oak furthest from the beach) located beachfront.

TBOF is the category for the ocean front rooms which are in the front of the 2 buildings (Morning Glory and Seaoat) facing the ocean.

All of the buildings are only 5 stories tall, so only a few of the 'oceanside' villas actually have an ocean view.

Ocean side was the term I was looking for. That might be the term Marriott uses for all of those types of rooms since a view of the ocean rarely goes along with that type of room.

One of the more important things I've learned about Marriott is that an owner will almost always get the view for which they've purchased. At Ocean Pointe, this has been a point of contention for ocean side owners who find exchangers in ocean front rooms. Marriott's stance has always been that they were assigned the view they purchased and, that they would always be assigned the view they purchased.

Taking this further, if one were to spend a week at Barony and all owners at Barony who owned a Garden Villa had reserved a week at Barony and all the owners who had purchased ocean side or ocean front had exchanged, the garden villa owners would still be placed in the view/style unit they purchased and exchangers would be placed in the ocean side or ocean front units.

Why would Marriott do something like this? To encourage prospective owners to purchase the most expensive view they could afford rather than buying the cheapest view and counting on getting bumped up into a higher view that they didn't purchase.

My understanding with Marriott is that, when staying at your home resort, you will always be placed in the unit style/view you purchased, although I'm sure there have been exceptions. Exchangers will then be assigned units based upon the hierchy I've listed above or, something very close.

One addendum is that each HOA does have some latittude on how they assign rooms. I believe this is only a recommendation from Marriott but, it does appear, at least from our experience, that most resorts follow this plan.

So I would never say that you'll be guarenteed the view on your confirmation. It will just depend on who is staying at the resort the week your arrive and what your standing is for room placement based on your ownership level with Marriott. There are, of course, some unit styles/types the are only located in specific locations such as the 3 bedroom units at Ocean Pointe, which are all ocean front units and, the 3 bedroom units at Grand Chateau, which are all on the end caps of each tower.

FWIW:

Here is the confirmation from our Barony Beach stay

Marriott's Grand Chateau
MGC
Unit: THGV (1 bedroom)
Week: 9 Fri, February 29, 2008
Fri, March 07, 2008
Confirmed

Confirmed To:
Marriott's Barony Beach Club • MBY
Unit: TOGA (2 bedrooms)
Week: 19 Fri, May 09, 2008
Fri, May 16, 2008

If TOGA is a Garden Villa, then we were bumped up to an ocean side unit for our week. As you can see we were there during the first part of May, which isn't high season. So in this case we were not given the view assignment on our confirmation but were given what some would consider a better view/location. We are multiple week owners (two three bedroom, one Plat. and one Silver season). So, we apparently were strong enough to get a slightly better room but, we were strong enough to get off the second floor or, there were enough Barony owners staying on their time that the second floor ocean side was the best anyone could have done.

Last edited:

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Are you talking about the Garden Villa's or what you consider a garden view? There may be a difference.

I am talking about the Garden Villa's. The two buildings that are separated from the beach by the Westin.

I have also had a different experience with regards to unit view on II exchanges into Marriott locations. My Barony week last year was the first time in 8 year (10 exchanges) that I have received a different view than what was identified either on the II confirmation, or viewable on Marriott.com with the confirmation number.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am talking about the Garden Villa's. The two buildings that are separated from the beach by the Westin.

I have also had a different experience with regards to unit view on II exchanges into Marriott locations. My Barony week last year was the first time in 8 year (10 exchanges) that I have received a different view than what was identified either on the II confirmation, or viewable on Marriott.com with the confirmation number.

At the current time, Barony is going thru major renovations in some of their buildings, and as a result a lot of their guests may be placed in something other than what they were expecting.

That is how is was explained to me this past October when I was there.

People can expect to be placed in differing locations until such time as the major renovation project is completed.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score

That was not my experience. I was assigned and placed in an OS unit even though upon check-in I requested GV.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the current time, Barony is going thru major renovations in some of their buildings, and as a result a lot of their guests may be placed in something other than what they were expecting.

That is how is was explained to me this past October when I was there.

People can expect to be placed in differing locations until such time as the major renovation project is completed.

Can you expand on the renovations and which buildings are involved?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Can you expand on the renovations and which buildings are involved?

The indoor refurbs should be completed by now, target completion date was 3/11 - here's a post with the dates and details.

Outdoor improvements are in the planning stages - I'm pretty sure not all of them have been approved yet, or any of them begun yet. But here's a thread with those details.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
We've stayed at Barony a few times and I agree with the above that what you get as an exchanger is very variable- it all depends on what's available. Generally exchangers get the Garden Villas but not always. They claim to follow the statuses that are given above but I think there is always some flexibility. Regardless it's a nice resort and all the villas are nice so you'll have a surprise when you get there as to which building you are in.

tlwmkw

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
One of the more important things I've learned about Marriott is that an owner will almost always get the view for which they've purchased. At Ocean Pointe, this has been a point of contention for ocean side owners who find exchangers in ocean front rooms. Marriott's stance has always been that they were assigned the view they purchased and, that they would always be assigned the view they purchased.

Taking this further, if one were to spend a week at Barony and all owners at Barony who owned a Garden Villa had reserved a week at Barony and all the owners who had purchased ocean side or ocean front had exchanged, the garden villa owners would still be placed in the view/style unit they purchased and exchangers would be placed in the ocean side or ocean front units.

Why would Marriott do something like this?

This is what I would expect and it seems proper and equitable. I am very surprised that anyone would think Marriott should change the view assigned to an owner staying on his or her ownership week.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This is what I would expect and it seems proper and equitable. I am very surprised that anyone would think Marriott should change the view assigned to an owner staying on his or her ownership week.

Me too, surprised by the expectation, but there have been quite a few threads on TUG from owners who are ticked off that exchangers can get better views - some really do think that if they own gardenview and an oceanfront gets exchanged, they should get the oceanfront and whoever else exchanges in should get their gardenview. Doesn't make sense to me, either. Why would anybody expect to get what they didn't purchase when they're staying on their owners' weeks? :shrug:

Exchanging, on the other hand, is a crapshoot and it's surprising how many expect to get whatever view is attached to their II confirmation, when most of the resorts say that they follow a Priority Placement system that favors owners exchanging back in and multi-week owners ahead of all others. This is one thing that puts DC exchanges head-and-shoulders above II exchanges - if view is important to you, you can choose what you want and know in advance what you'll get.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
The indoor refurbs should be completed by now, target completion date was 3/11 - here's a post with the dates and details.

Outdoor improvements are in the planning stages - I'm pretty sure not all of them have been approved yet, or any of them begun yet. But here's a thread with those details.

Susan,

Thanks for the links. It's good to know the target date has passed for the most current refurbs. When we were there a few years ago, the buildings were being steam-cleaned, but that didn't seem to impact any amenities. I'll call the resort as we get closer to check-in for an update. We always enjoy our time at Barony. :)

Is there any news to report on those proposed changes to the garden villa pool area?

Kate

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

I agree. If you want the view, you should be required to pay for the view. It's not fair for those who paid extra for that view to find those who did not pay the extra money enjoying the more expensive units.

I can see where ocean side owners might be upset that exchangers/renters are getting the better units but, If Marriott allowed those buying he less expensive units to bump up, then there would be a lot of postings about how it's stupid to pay more when you can pay less and get the better unit X% of the time.