• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maggie Valley NC

lucillec

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Heading to Maggie Valley in two weeks...trying to do a little research on places to go..
2 days of golfing onsite.. I saw there is a bluegrass opry...and a drive through the Great Smokey Mts. Any other suggestions? Restaurants?? Good food at the resort? Value?
appreciate any input ....

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
If Asheville is not too far for you to drive there is plenty to do there. The Biltmore Estate is very popular although I've never been to it. The Grove Park Inn is nice if they have an event going on.

There are many good places to eat and a few theaters.

If at all interested send me a PM and I'll fill you in on some details.

And if you drive as far as Asheville, Mt Mitchell is not that much further. It's the highest point in the eastern US.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
If Asheville is not too far for you to drive there is plenty to do there. The Biltmore Estate is very popular although I've never been to it. The Grove Park Inn is nice if they have an event going on.

There are many good places to eat and a few theaters.

If at all interested send me a PM and I'll fill you in on some details.

And if you drive as far as Asheville, Mt Mitchell is not that much further. It's the highest point in the eastern US.

YES, it's worth it to visit Asheville/Biltmore House. Maggie Valley is fun, but this is fantastic. From the rustic to the sublime!!!!! If you've never seen it, you will thank csxjohn a million times for the suggestion....can't tell you enough how great that is.

Short drive, See below:
http://goo.gl/maps/bhc0G

Also visit Cherokee, just to your west. All beautiful drives, which will accomplish a goal too.

Last edited:

lucillec

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah yes,....actually Asheville is the original purpose of the trip!! duh..left that one out..but I thank you for your suggestions!...I will pm for additional info...and check out Mt Mitchell
....willbe in touch tomorrow..working NY primary today...

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
and if you have enough time, visit Grove Park Inn. Looks out over the valley and city of Asheville----especially beautiful at night. It's where we always stay. They have several restaurants which are all good. Fun to just walk around the hotel---several shops, etc, but it's an old historic hotel, just gorgeous.

also at Biltmore House, take time to eat lunch after the tour at the Stables Cafe----great food and beautiful---it's where the Vanderbilt horses lived......really cool. also visit the Biltmore Village, just outside the estate entrance-----wonderful cafes and shops, very historic. Vanderbilt daughter was married in the old historic church. Fun to walk around a while.

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frankie's in Maggie is a great little Italian restaurant and is no more than a mile from Maggie Valley Country Club. Sweet Onion in downtown Waynesville is also good. The town/village of Waynesville is about 5 miles down the road from Maggie and is a fun place just to walk Main Street and visit the various shops. Asheville is about 35 minutes away and obviously has the Biltmore House and a large selection of very good restaurants to choose from. I live in the Maggie Valley area so if you have specific questions feel free to send me a PM.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned the Stompin Ground??? Enjoy the clogging.
In Cherokee eat at Paul's. I love the Indian Taco there. Cherokee is the tourist trap of the world but fun for the day. Just for fun have you pic made with a real live Indian chief. lol shaggy

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
GREAT restaurant recommendation

Everybody write this down, just in case you're EVER close.
It's our "Discovery of the Summer".

If you happen to be going southwest to Franklin, NC on your ride thru the Smokies (about a 50 minute trip from Maggie Valley) DO NOT MISS eating at Caff'e REL (most just refer to it as Cafe Rel).

It's owned by Robert E. Long (hence R E L), a former chef's apprentice at The Greenbrier in West Virginia, one of the best and most famous resort hotels in America. Caffe REL is a hidden gem to put it mildly. Ironically located in a gas station complex. Read the great story below.

http://winesdownsouth.com/southernFood/cafeRel/Cafe Rel Final.pdf

The ambiance is wonderful, the food out of this world. A "locals' favorite", but thousands now wish to be locals because of this place. Absolutely, positively, don't miss it if ever close.

lucillec

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maggie Valley Info

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and maps..most appreciated.. have some planning to do!