• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Universal Orlando expansion

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the expected finish date?

I need to take the big kids there and I want it to be a one and done type of thing. Since they are expanding, we may as well wait for it to be complete.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
I think the article says Summer 2014 with a push to try for late spring. It's moving along pretty quickly, it seems. Impressive. I think it may be time for us to check it out in the next year or so. We really enjoyed Islands of Adventure a fewer years ago and the park hopper passes are more affordable than Disney's.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
good, it's a start-------

I thought the Wizarding World of Harry Potter was underwhelming. Fun, lightly whimsical, not BAD and some parts very good, but just wayyyyy under what I had envisioned. Of course maybe my expectations were totally unrealistic. Took me a while to get there---I didn't see it until Fall of last year, so expectations grew a lot over time. I went back thru the attractions/rides/shops three times over a couple of days, did everything, and I still left disappointed. Sort of like I had just watched half a movie.

The initial reviews, many by admitted HP fanatics, were great after the grand opening a few years ago, so naturally I was very excited to visit. Couldn't believe I was finally, finally there.

The new Hogwart's Express rail ride sounds good, but there needs to be more.....and more of the "better" stuff. My first mental image of "anything Harry Potter" which always comes to mind whenever the name Harry Potter comes up, is the Great Dining Hall----the visual with the thousands of suspended candles, with Sir Nicholas' ghost passing thru, with Dumbledore standing at the front in total control, with the faculty in their places, and with the students sitting and immersed in the chatter which resounds thru the rafters.......

That scene, which always appears in each movie, continually brings me back to a baseline emotion and love for Harry Potter-----That room, for me, holds everything magical I feel for the books---- from the collective gathering of all the individual and unique characters and fantastic wizards (good and bad), to the gargantuan volume of space and gorgeous architecture which defines it, to the memories of the special scenes that have taken place there throughout the series------and an overriding sense that, in the end, despite the trials and tribulations, there will always be sitting there together with smiles (and with LOVE---that ethereal "thing" which conquers all) the three heroes Hermione, Ron, and Harry----and always when "all is well".

Therefore, I just KNEW that there was going to be a Great Hall at Universal----maybe a ride which went slowly thru it (to soak it all in) with marvelous, almost supernatural special effects, which would leave memorable impressions even after I left. But no, it was missing. Major void for me!!!! I wanted to see the ghosts parading thru, and maybe something akin to the regular multitude of people seated below----- generally evoking a feeling of a vast space which held endless possibilities, like the movie and all of Hogwarts itself. The Dining Hall is symbolic to me, I guess. Too bad they didn't develop that. If you ever visited the "real life true Hogwarts" (of course there is none) and didn't pass thru the Great Hall, seems like you would have left unfulfilled. (Like visiting Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower, or going to NYC and not walking thru Times Square, etc...)

Can't remember if there was a brief moment thru the Hall when doing the existing ride "Forbidden Journey", but if so, it was way too fast-----just a blink while being tossed-----very forgettable. Must be, because to tell you the truth, I can't remember due to the ride being so fast and furious. A ride thru the Great Hall should be slowwwww, allowing everyone to enjoy the grandeur of the place.

So, I hope they continue to add to the Harry Potter experience---but the Great Hall specifically. It will never seem right without it. I also feel they could add a few more notable areas as experienced in the different movies, such as an Enchanted Forest (maybe with a broom ride thru it, or something, or at least a walk). Or maybe something more happening at Hagrid's little cottage......but definitely "more". Yes, they were constrained by the space available after closing the old venue. But they are creative, just wave a wand.

After all, there has never been anything as wonderful as the Harry Potter series, movies and books. Can't imagine anyone coming up with anything as imaginative as what J K Rowling's genius mind did. So they owe it to the world to do it justice.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the article says Summer 2014 with a push to try for late spring.

That is quite a bit sooner than I expected. If it does completely open by then, maybe we will go for next turkey day. My first choice would be during lowest tourist season, but with 3 of them in college, I don't think we will be able to work that out.

mspeggysue911

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the Universal section of the DISBoards they posted that the Gringott's Bank ride and the train between US and IOA should be done by late summer 2014. The new coaster at magic Kingdom should be done by fall of 2014. Lots of good reasons to visit Orlando in fall of 2014. We go every 3 to 6 months but after this upcoming trip in November of this year we are going to not go (yeah right) at all in 2014 and wait until Jan/2015 so that all the new stuff will be done and the initial wave of ppl going to see it will have lessened by then.